Chapter three

Life Goes On, Love In The Time Of COVID

"I'll stay with you. You don't have to worry about losing your job, I'm sorry," he says. This side of him has never been shown to me and I don't know how to respond. "Don't cry," he says.

I wipe away another tear and I look up at him and try to force a smile.

"Are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?" he asks.

"I hope not, because you have no food." I laugh, making him laugh. I wipe the last of the tears away.

"You can have the other Iced Americano," he offers. He jumps up and rushes to the kitchen to get it for me. I smile at this new version of Suga being revealed. 

"What's this?" he calls from the refrigerator. In that moment, I remember the note I left. He steps out of the kitchen holding it in his hand, smiling. He holds it up to me, "Your art?"

I nod flushing with embarrassment. "A little doodle. I- I wanted you to have it and not waste it," I explain. He hands the drink to me and sits back down on the floor across from me as he studies the drawing. "Thank you," I say as I watch him. I take a sip. I don't usually drink these drinks because they're way overpriced, but it's nice that he's sharing it with me.

"It sort of looks like you," he laughs.

"Just call me Alice in Wonderland." He turns the paper over to see if anything is on the back side. 

"Is this the bill for the Americanos?" I nod. "Damn these are expensive." I laugh wondering if he can read my mind, and hoping he can't. He looks much younger and feels more real sat across from me smiling, almost inviting.

"So what were you working on, in the studio?" I ask trying to shut out the thoughts creeping into my mind.

"I'm always laying something down. Ideas just come all the time and I feel like I have to get something down or it will be gone. Right now I'm working on just the music for a song."

"I heard some of it, through the door, it sounded good."

"Do you want to hear it?" he asks waiting for my response.

"Sure." 

He stands up and reaches a hand out to help me up from the floor. I take his hand, rising up. I've never felt his hand before, it's smooth and warm. I almost hope he won't let go of me but he drops my hand as soon as I'm on my feet and he walks back into his studio. I follow behind him, hugging my drink close to my body for security.

"Sit on the couch there," he indicates a long gray couch against the wall opposite and he sits in his swivel chair at the computer. He takes a sip off his drink before he starts the track. The same music I heard playing when I entered the room and disturbed him starts back up, it's loud but it sounds like a mellow song, maybe a ballad, definitely not what I'd expect to hear from BTS grumpy rapper. I smile as it plays. 

"Is this a song for the vocal line?" I ask. He looks at me a little surprised.

"It might be. I'm still working on the words, haven't quite hit on the right idea yet. Do you like our music?" His long fringe drops in front of his eyes and he twitches to move it away as he looks at me.

"Sure, some of it," I answer honestly feeling the intensity of his gaze.

"Do you have a bias?" he asks smiling. His eyes roam over me and I wonder if this is flirting, having not much experience with it. I swallow hard.

"No. I don't have time to worry abut having a bias. I just like a lot of different types of music. But I have a few favorites." I sip the drink nervously and I think the caffeine might make me a little too talkative.

"Like what? Name a song we do that you really like," he asks, his expression is very serious. It feels like there might actually be a wrong answer to this. 

"Why?" I stall to have time to search my brain for a song title.

"I just want to gauge your kind of music," he explains not breaking his stare. His look is intimidating. I think about it for a moment while he waits for me to come up with a response.

"I like Ugh," I say relieved to have remembered the easiest name.

He nods, "That's mine. And?" More, come up with more songs you like, I think to myself.  But please let them be BTS songs...

"I like Pied Piper." I smile at him awkwardly.

He points at me as if I answered the question correctly, "Mine." He motions with his hand for more.

"And Seesaw."

He shakes his head,  "All mine. How am I not your bias?" he laughs, and a big gummy smile spreads across his face.

"Maybe you are and I don't know it," I say and then realize that might sound a little too forward. The awkward silence that follows makes me blush and he smiles noticing it. His eyes narrow as he studies me.

"I'll play you some other stuff if you like?" I nod, happy to fill the quiet of the room. 

He happily plays clips of tracks, half done bits of music, and piano solos. I listen and comment every once in a while although I don't know anything about writing music, he seems to actually be comfortable sharing this work with me, which is surprising. I haven't done anything to suddenly warrant this polite and friendly behavior, apart from crying in front of him, and of course the fact that we are stuck in this apartment together for the time being. I can't imagine any other reason he's now being considerate and friendly with me.