5. V

The Princess and her Robin Hood.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taking a step into the blinding white light that accompanied the opening of the doors, Dahyun could have never been fully prepared for it. No matter the extensive social etiquette she was taught, the books she read that described this very moment, it was beyond overwhelming.

 

Thunderous applause came to her ears after her moment of shock. Quickly gaining her bearings, she bowed in greeting to her large audience. Looking all across the expansive crowd, she could barely catch a few familiar faces. Sana was looking up at her with astonishment. She caught the playful glint but awed look in Chaeyoung’s eyes. She even noticed the tall and short haired damsel that had her arm looped with Chaeyoung’s. 

 

The Princess looked over her shoulder to try and catch a glance at Tzuyu one last time before she faced the wolves but alas, she was gone. Having no time to think about it now that she had all eyes on her, she took a deep breath, exhaled, put on her best charming smile, and turned back around. “Welcome, one and all! To a wonderful masquerade ball in my honor. I look forward to conversing and meeting all of you! Let me not halt any more of the festivities with my boring speech! Let the ball officially commence!”

 

Cheers were heard all around the ballroom.

 

“Your grace,” One of the guards spoke. “It’s time to descend onto the floor.”

 

“Oh yes, of course.” Dahyun chuckled with embarrassment. “Where are my manners?” 

 

Dahyun stepped onto the stairs but not with one last look at the now closed door that once had Tzuyu behind it.

 

Where did you go, starlight?

 

……

 

As Dahyun’s name was called out and she stepped out, Tzuyu patted her pockets in panic. “Oh no.” The guards that surrounded Tzuyu turned her way. “I forgot my present. This is not good. Guard! Let the princess know I had to retrieve something important from her chambers if she asks of my whereabouts.”

 

One guard quickly stepped in front of her. “Forgive me but you can not be alone in the castle without someone accompanying you. It is for the sake of security. We must not have a complete stranger wandering alone.”

 

“I am no stranger. I came here with the princess. I am her to this ball. It will only be a minute.”

 

“What seems to be the problem here?” 

 

“Momo! Thank goodness you are here. I meant to give something to her grace, a gift, but I forgot it in her chambers. I just wish to retrieve it but the guards here refuse to let me go without someone accompanying me. Honestly, it hurts me to think that my appearance alone makes others think that I am untrustworthy.”

 

“That is not what we meant-” The guard was interrupted by Momo.

 

“Let her go. She means no harm nor does she pose any real threat to the Princess.”

 

“But Ma’am-”

 

“I said let her go. We would not any more trouble here considering we all care about the Princess and do not wish to spoil her special night.”

 

The guard sighed defeatedly. “Very well, Ma’am.” He turned to Tzuyu. “You are free to roam around to retrieve that gift but make sure you come back as soon as possible.”

 

“Thank you.” Tzuyu quickly took her leave.

 

As soon as Tzuyu rounded the corner and left the vision of the security personnel, she ran towards the throne room. Little did they know that Mina and Nayeon had managed to sneak into the castle as preparations were being made and hid successfully until night fell and Tzuyu was on her way to help them finally achieve what the real mission was all along.

 

Finally arriving to the designated room, she saw Nayeon and Mina already trying to get into one of the display glasses that held the beloved crowns of the late King and Queen.

 

“Everyone has been distracted for a while now and you two still have not even achieved grabbing one crown?! You two badger me about this whole mission and when the time comes to actually execute it, you two are taking your time!” Tzuyu yelled.

 

“Maybe if you were not off galavanting with those more privileged than us, we could have done this much faster. We are trying our best here. You try breaking glass without causing noise and raising any alarm.” Nayeon said.

 

“Try harder then! We have limited time here! Who knows how long we have until the princess begins to look for me.”

 

Nayeon whipped around to face Tzuyu. “Well, perhaps if you would be so kind as to help us, this could be done within a flash!”

 

“Quiet down! Both of you.” Mina whispered. “Just come help us. No bickering or anything. We almost have it down anyway. Just need to wait a minute.” Mina raised a finger to signal to wait. As the orchestra down in the ballroom reached a loud crescendo, she broke the glass. “There. That simple.”

 

Nayeon and Tzuyu looked at Mina with shock. Tzuyu even had slightly agape. “What? Did you both think I had some elaborate plan to open the glass display without making noise?” They both nodded. “We are in the 19th century. Lower your expectations for me.”

 

Nayeon cleared . “So...I was not aware that you enjoyed ballroom music.”

 

“Yes. When the King and Queen were still alive, you could hear the orchestra play all the way to the orphanage when these types of events took place. This song was played multiple times. It stuck with me because it was the only thing keeping me sane in that damn place. That is how I was able to pinpoint when to smash this case. Let us hope we have the same luck with the other one. Tzuyu, help us with the King’s crown.”

 

Tzuyu nodded and began to make her way towards them.

 

“Tzuyu?”

 

Tzuyu whipped her head in the direction she heard that beloved voice. 

 

“Where are you? You left me alone to dance.” The voice seemed to be closer.

 

She could even hear the pout in that voice and felt her heart skip a beat.

“Unbelievable! She even knows your name?! You really are trying to sabotage and get us caught!” Mina whispered.

 

“Go distract her! Before she catches any of us and we are all doomed to rot in those cells, we are almost done here anyway.” Nayeon said harshly and pushed Tzuyu outside, who then collided into Dahyun.

 

“Woah!” Dahyun yelled. Tzuyu quickly caught her and steadied her on her feet. “What is the rush, Tzuyu? When I asked the guards where you were, they spoke of you retrieving a surprise gift for me in my chambers. Though, this does not appear to be my chambers, now does it?”

 

“Of course not! I got lost. This palace is immense, Dahyun. It really is hard to go anywhere if you do not know your way around.”

 

“Okay. Why were you in there?” Dahyun pointed at the dimly lit room.

 

“I got lost and I stumbled upon that room.”

 

“Did you see anything in there?” The princess questioned.

 

“No. I saw nothing at all.”

 

“Good. I only ask that if we plan on seeing each other more and more as time goes on, that you do not ever stumble into that room without my spoken consent. That room in there holds something very precious and personal to me.” Dahyun took a deep breath. “If you would like, I can show you, so any curiosity you may have can perish and not force you to stumble upon here again. Come.” 

 

Dahyun took her hand and began gently pulling her into the room.

 

Tzuyu knew what might happen if she agreed upon it and quickly but roughly pulled Dahyun into her arms.

 

“Oh!”

 

“My apologies, your grace!”
 

“Your grace? Tzuyu, are you feeling well? You have not called me that in a very long time.”

 

“Of course I am!” Tzuyu sighed. “I apologize. I am just very anxious tonight. I do not do well with crowds at all.”

 

Dahyun chuckled. “I can tell. Come. You can retire to my chambers for the night. I understand.”

 

“What about that dance I promised you earlier?”
 

“You mentioned wanting a dance on my balcony. We can do that instead, like old times. I figured you would not have danced with me with everyone’s eyes on us either way.”

 

“If it meant that much to you, I would have. Anything for you, Princess.” 

 

She could never deny her of anything.

 

“Come. If we do wish to dance with each other, then we must hurry. I can only excuse myself for so long until the other nobles become curious.” Dahyun sighed.

 

“Are you not the princess? Can you not do what you wish to, considering th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter