Chapter 3

Travel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART II - (2/2)

Leipzig, Saxony, GER (1944)

Three days later, marking  two days before D-day, everything’s on track. All the prisoners are aware of the plan and could barely wait to get on with it. In theory the plan’s simple. First, Agent Ruschel will activate a bomb outside the courtyard at the sunbath time. The guards will suppose the prison’s under attack and the security protocol will be initiated. Therefore, all inmates will be taken to the main dining hall, placed on the floor with their hands over their heads while they wait for further instructions. Once they’re inside, the other two bombs will be detonated. First, the second one by the director's office, which will lead a small part of the guards to be relocated to ensure Marshal Göring’s safety. Then, the last one will blow up right above the dining room entrance, annihilating the guards nearby and distracting the others so that inmates can start the attack.

The instructions given to the general inmates are limited to prevent any leaks, that way, only their leaders know the day and time of action. The rest of the prisoners were instructed to always be ready and attentive. Nevertheless, they were told to avoid the right corner of the courtyard and the dining area’s entry, the places where the bombs will defuse. Everyone's ready and waiting.

Wheein is doing well ignoring Hyejin and all the things she's been feeling for the past few days. She didn't have much to say to the other woman now that she knows the truth, honestly. Also, she is really trying to focus on getting out of that prison so she can go back to live her normal life and force herself to actually forget the existence of a certain woman who apparently had already forgotten hers. What she didn't expect was to be paired with Hyejin the night before the attack.

On Day 13,  when Wheein enters her designated cell, Hyejin is already settled in one of the beds.

"Hey, good thing it’s you." Hyejin sits. "We haven't had a chance to talk yet."

"There's not much to talk about." Wheein lies on the other bed, looking at the ceiling with both hands supporting her head, missing the comfort of a pillow.

"I want to thank y-"

“You already did that. And we didn’t get out of here yet so there's no reason to be thankful for now.” Wheein interrupts her. Hyejin lets out a sad sigh and Wheein feels a little guilty, but she doesn't let it show.

"How long have you been around?" Hyejin tries to make conversation. 

"What do you mean? I arrived ten days ago, you know.”

"No. I meant... on earth, I guess? I mean, you’re an immortal, how long have you been around?” Hyejin's question confuses Wheein but she doesn't say anything about it. She’s sure she didn't tell Hyejin or Bae Joohyun that she’s also immortal but she doesn’t know if Yongsun or Moonbyul did. She believes they didn’t because they’re not allowed to do that, but still, Hyejin and Bae must have figured it out.

"Does it matter?"

Hyejin considers for a few seconds and after taking a deep breath she answers. "No, not really."

Once again Wheein feels guilty but she forces herself to ignore the feeling. She turns her back to Hyejin and faces the wall as she pulls the sheets up to her neck and tries to sleep. After a few minutes she hears Hyejin humming a song to herself. Not satisfied with just humming, soon she hears the other woman singing in a low voice:

“I can't sleep at night

I can't eat a bite

'Cause the man I love

He don't treat me right”

She remembers, Wheein thinks. She remembers and she’s making fun of me. There is no other reason for her to do that. If Hyejin remembers Wheein and acted like she didn't, it’s because she wants nothing to do with her. Why is she making sure that Wheein knows it? She was going to be better off if she continued to think the former singer didn't remember her. It’s cruel, for God's sake.

"What are y- are you kidding me?" Wheein stands up suddenly, unable to contain herself.

"Sorry." Hyejin says sitting on her bed again. "I wanted to let you know that I know who you are, that I remember you, but you didn’t seem open to conversation."

Wheein sits on her own bed, resting her elbows on her knees and putting her face in her hands. “And why do you want me to know that? Why can’t you just leave me alone?”

"Because I’m sorry and I want to apologize."

“For leaving without saying goodbye after a one-night stand fifteen years ago? I think I’m good.” Wheein lies.

"No. For pretending I didn’t know you. It wasn’t polite but I panicked and didn't know what else to do.” Hyejin tries to explain calmly. 

"Panicked?” Wheein scoffs. “You looked just fine." 

"That’s thanks to you for causing a scene and giving me time to assimilate what was happening. If you had taken me by surprise I don't know what I would have done." Hyejin says and Wheein thinks for a moment.

"So you don't regret not saying goodbye?"

"I was on a mission, I had already risked too much.” Hyejin keeps a calm tone. 

"What? So I was really just part of a mission then, that's it?” Wheein feels like her stomach dropped.

“No, you’re the one who stopped me from completing my mission, actually. Damn your beautiful eyes and that leather jacket you were wearing, Jung Wheein.” Hyejin says with a charming smile on her face and Wheein’s heart skips a beat.

"I- I’m not following." Wheein’s genuinely confused. And also a little flushed.

“When first I met you I was on a mission, Wheein.” Hyejin takes a deep breath, gets up from her bed and sits down next to Wheein. “I had a target that night. A mafia prick who was at the audience, to be more specific. I should have gone home with him to steal some files from his office. Joseph was going to introduce me to him but he took me to you first and that was the end of me. You showed up throwing me completely off my game.” Hyejin puts a hand on Wheein’s thigh. “I blew my cover that night, eight months worthy of research and it was all gone, in a blink of an eye. The moment I left with you it was all over. The man I was on to found out about the mission and started looking for me instead. I had to go to London to avoid more trouble. If I stayed in the US I would lose my job and put a whole lot of innocent people at risk.”

“But- but you could at least have left a note? A ‘thank you for the wonderful night even though it will never happen again but have a nice life’ maybe.” Wheein uses humor to cover up how shocked she is by all the new information she just got. Hyejin had really liked her enough to risk her job. She didn't know how to react to that.

“It was a wonderful night, indeed. But no, I couldn't. I don't do immortals.” Wheein raises an eyebrow at Hyejin's accidental suggestion. "I mean, I don't have relationships with immortals, not even friendships.”

“What about Bae Joohyun?” She remembers her partner. Hyejin takes her hand off Wheein's thigh and Wheein misses the contact immediately.

“Joohyun is different.” Oh, Wheein is taken by surprise. Does it mean what she thinks it means? “It's complicated. We’ve been friends since forever." Hyejin explains and Wheein releases a breath she didn’t know she was holding. 

"So you did know that I was an immoral back then." It’s an affirmation but it sounds more like a question.

"Yes, I saw your mark as soon as we shook hands in the cabin at Joseph's bar." Wheein lifts her sleeve and looks at the birthmark that every immortal she has ever known has on their wrist. Hyejin also lifts her sleeve and shows Wheein her own mark. The lemniscate.

"Makes sense…" Wheein ponders.

“And yet I went home with you against all of my principles. That's why I didn't say goodbye, It was too risky, it was better that way. I'm really sorry for how things played out. But I will try to leave a note next time.” Hyejin jokes.

Wheein doesn't remember seeing the same mark on Hyejin's wrist the first time they met. Maybe it's because she was wearing several bracelets that night. Or maybe Wheein was just too preoccupied looking at other parts of her body to notice. At this point, it doesn’t really matter. So now Wheein makes a mental list of the things she knows: 1) Hyejin remembers her. She really does. 2) Hyejin also wants absolutely nothing to do with her. She doesn’t do immortals, or whatever that means. It’s not like she’s entitled to have something with Hyejin or anything like that, Wheein knows it. In fact, she doesn’t even know what she really wants. Until now, all she’s wanted was answers and now that she’s got them she doesn’t really know what to do. The right thing to do is to end this. That’s if there is anything to be ended, to begin with, since they actually haven't started anything.

"There won’t be a next time." Wheein answers as she plays with her own hands, without making eye contact.

"Yeah, you’re right." Hyejin gets up and goes back to her own bed. “Anyway, I just wanted to clean the air. In case you have any questions, I’m an open book now.”

"Okay." Wheein has a lot of questions but her pride doesn’t let her ask any of them. Why doesn't Hyejin let herself have a relationship with an immortal? What's the story behind it? And what about Bae? Are they really just friends? Would she look too desperate if she asks that? She decides to stay quiet as heavy and tense silence takes over the place. After a few minutes the air feels suffocating and Wheein chooses to break the silence.

"I'm sorry about your friend."

"What?" Hyejin sounds confused, as if Wheein had just woken her up with the comment.

“Williams said that you and Bae lost someone on the mission that brought you here. I am really sorry." Wheein says sincerely.

"Oh, did he tell you the whole story?" 

"No, he just said it happened."

"Of course he would do that." Hyejin's tone is harsh.

"Do you know him?" She is curious about her reaction.

"He's an old... friend, if anyone can even call him that." 

"I can't imagine anyone who would call him a friend." Wheein says, making a face and Hyejin laughs.

"Me neither."

After that, silence fills the place again, but this time it’s more than comfortable.

"Good night and… luck tomorrow." Hyejin says before she tries to sleep.

"You too." Wheein replies.

Hyejin starts to sing Crazy Blues again and Wheein falls asleep without knowing if it’s really happening or if she’s just dreaming again.

On the next day everything happens too fast.

The most awaited day by Colditz Castle’s residents has arrived after what seems to be an eternity and Hyejin mutters another "good luck" to Wheein before they leave their shared cell. The both of them ignore the way their hands keep touching and all the feelings that come along with that as they walk towards the courtyard. As soon as they’re outdoors, Wheein spots Yongsun and Moonbyul sitting in the same place as always with Bae and some other inmates. On their way to them Hyejin suddenly grabs Wheein's wrist, stopping her from moving any further. Wheein looks around worriedly to see if any guards saw the action before turning back to Hyejin with a confused look on her face.

"Wheein, I-" The first bomb goes off preventing Hyejin from completing her sentence. The explosion raised enough dust to prevent anyone from being able to see clearly and screams of help took over the place.

After a few seconds Wheein sees at least ten guard

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter