Three

July on Film

───── ❝ 𝐢 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐡𝐞𝐫 ❞ ─────

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 I introduced myself in front of the class, most of my classmates welcomed me warmly. I was bombarded with a lot of questions regarding my stay in Canada. It was replicating, some of them asking questions that I already answered. While talking with my classmates, I noticed a certain woman in the middle of the room. She was the only one who doesn't seem to be interested in my arrival. Not that I am bothered by it, but thankful she isn't trying to pry on my personal life considering I just met these people. Don't get me wrong, I love connecting to individuals but only if they know their limitations.

"Hey, what's the name of that brunette?" I asked after they laughed at my answer. The girls looked at who I was referring to and scoffed.

"That's Irene, the President of the class," Katie answered, emphasizing the word President like she's mocking it.

"Don't get close to that woman, she's bad news." another girl chimed in. And yet, that drew me to give more attention to her. Maybe it was the melancholic vibe in her eyes. Even if she looks alright, the way her eyes sparkle just makes me... sad.

Lunch came and I unknowingly made my way in front of her desk.

"You're Irene right?" I asked, she nods her head as a reply. "Well, our teacher requested you to take me on a school tour." I lied, smiling cheekily. Nevertheless, she accepted.

Is this greed?

Irene is surprisingly quieter than I thought. She gives vague replies, but always on point. I found out she likes reading, scrutinizing every word she sees. Somehow, I find the silence between us comfortable. I started sitting beside her just to see what's the fuss with the women in our batch hating her and I thought they're wrong. Irene is too gentle to how they describe her.

"Guys, come here!" Katie, our classmate eagerly shouted in front of the door. "Chanyeol is confessing to Irene!" she announced, giggling evilly. The girls rushed outside to gossip. Sejeong, my friend dragged me out to her own accord.

There, I saw Irene staring at him blankly.

"She's so ungrateful, she doesn't even seem to be listening." One of them whispered. Huh? Isn't Chanyeol the one putting her under pressure? These girls are being ist. Feeling irritated, I walk back inside the classroom.

"Chanyeol got rejected." I heard. I should feel bad, but inside of me, I was sort of relieved.

"You 'mkay?" I asked Irene when she went back. She nods her head as an answer and I didn't question any further. She's stressed enough for me to ask anything else.

As days passed, Irene and I didn't talk much. I still decided to sit beside her no matter what. I feel laid-back with the silence we share before classes start.

"Why do you sit with Irene? Aren't you bored?" Katie asked, looking at the other girls to get some affirmation. There were yes and yeah from them when she glared.

"Irene's actually kind," I said as I continued to eat my lunch.

"Huh? Didn't you know she gets high grades because her parents pay the teachers?" This again. Is she the one spreading these rumors? Damn, I don't understand how her friends can stand being with her.

"Do you have evidence of that?" I asked. Katie pathetically chuckled. "No, of course not, but we, women in this batch knows it," she explained, flipping her hair as if that confirms everything she accused.

"And you believe that?" my voice rising. , I can't stand this.

"Of course, yes."

"You don't have any evidence to support your argument and you're spreading lies? Did you even think about Irene's position when you talk about that? God damn." , I lost it. The girls around us looked at me in disbelief. The queen of the school got tongue-tied after I questioned her credibility.

"I—Ah—" Katie shifted around, trying to find an excuse to change the subject. "Y'all, get me water please!" She looks embarrassed. The three of them stood up from the table.

"I'm out of here," I said, carrying my tray to change tables. That was toxic as .

 

 

Two weeks passed and I tried to be friends with other people. I'm trying to find a fit group that doesn't gossip like what most of the girls do here. I never understand the satisfaction of talking against someone's back and making them miserable. My guilt will kill me if that happens.

"Can I sit here?" I asked when I saw two women wearing a blue PE shirt, which means they are the same year as I am.

"Yes, sure." The doe-eyed girl said.

I look around the cafeteria to see if Irene is around, but I never got the chance to know where she eats when lunchtime comes. Should I ask her next time? I mean, we're friends, right?

"You must be the new student everyone talks about." The doe-eyed girl looked at me from my head to my toe.

"I'm a transferee but I don't think people mind me that much," I replied to them, mixing my spaghetti.

"I'm Yoona." she introduced herself, "and this is Taeyeon." she pointed at the woman beside her. "We're from class 4-1," she announced and I almost choked on my pasta.

"You're both seniors?" I questioned and they both nod their heads. I stood up and bowed repeatedly. "I'm so sorry! You were wearing our PE shirt and I thought-" then I heard them laugh.

"Oh my, that's fine. Jessica, one of our classmates spilled her coffee to us. We don't have extra clothes except for this that's why." Taeyeon explained. "You can drop the honorifics," she suggested when I sat down again.

"I'm embarrassed," I told them, still feeling sorry.

"You're way too honest," Yoona replied, giggling.

"Do you have a club yet?" Taeyeon asked, I saw Yoona looked at her with amusement in her eyes.

"I don't, I'm not planning to-"

"Do you want to join Cinema Mon Amour?" she asked, "We're kind of chill, you don't have to worry." Yoona slapped Taeyeon's arm to get her attention.

"You should not pressure her like that," Yoona warned, apologizing to me after.

"I'm just worried Irene will be left all alone next year," Taeyeon murmured then Yoona glared at her.

"It's still bad pressuring a junior like that."

Now, that caught my attention.

"Excuse me, can I visit later?"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

Cinema Mon Amour was surprisingly cozy. After walking home with Irene, I've come to the conclusion that I might be interested in her more than what a friend should be. When the movie finished yesterday, I turned my head to see Irene on the verge of crying. My heart began to thump loudly and I realized I might have come to like her.

Holy . This is bad.

"Do all lovers feel as though they're inventing something?" I greeted Irene as I sat down in our usual seat.

"Oh my gosh, Wendy, stop quoting the movie." I heard her giggle.

"I can't sleep last night." I shared, I checked her reaction and she doesn't seem to pry much to it.

"And why is that?"

"I don't know." I bit my tongue after saying those words. I can't sleep because I thought of you throughout the night.

"Sleep in class then. I'll cover for you, yes?" Irene looked at me, giving a thumbs up. I had to laugh at how cute she looks.

"You're a bad influence." I .

"I know." she simply replied.

Lunch quickly came and I decided to take a nap instead. My eyelids felt heavy throughout the class and I nearly slept. Good thing Irene was there to shake me up. I was planning to go to the library or the music room, seeing how it will be quieter at the library, I made my way there.

There weren't any students inside, even so, I chose to sit at the back in case the librarian came in.

"Please know how much your friendship means to me-how much you mean to me. We've known each other for so long now and we've had a lot of good times over the years. I can still remember our parents jokingly plotting our marriage when we were in kindergarten. Do you remember that? Since then, we've always been able to offer each other a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on." my ears perk up when I heard a familiar voice. Oh my God, someone's confessing. "What I'm trying to say is that I think I'm in love with you."

I quietly stood up from my seat to search for a new corner to nap, but stopped halfway when I heard a reply, "Krystal, I don't think I can return your feelings."

Oh, it's Krystal and Irene.

"I know that. I just want you to know," at the corner, I caught a glimpse of a wretched grin from Krystal. "Do you like someone right now?" she asked. If I were her, I would break down in front of Irene already. I admire her courage.

"I don't think I'll be able to like someone in that way," Irene remarked. Even if I wasn't the one in front of her, I feel dejected hearing that.

"I'll be graduating soon," Krystal uttered, her voice trembling, "Don't act like you aren't my junior when I'm gone, y-yeah?" I heard how hopeful her words are. I feel bad hearing this and I should've gone to the music room instead.

Irene initiating a hug was a shock for me, seeing them in the close distance made me uncomfortable. "I won't," she answered and Krystal returned the action. "You're an important person to me."

That was my cue to walk away.

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

Months have passed since then, Krystal and Irene interact as if everything was the same. As for me, I could only bury my feelings for this certain brunette. There's no way I'd confess to her after hearing that.

"Lately, you've been spacing out a lot." Irene rests her arms on the rail of the window, joining me as I look outside the school.

"Am I?" I tried confirming.

"Yeah," she stared at me, "Like during class, you're looking at the same page even when our teacher is discussing something else already." she tried to think more, "When we eat during lunch, you almost spill your drinks because you're not paying attention, or when we are the in the club and when you share your point of view, you stop halfway." Irene grabbed my shoulder gently. "Are you okay?"

I almost want to cry hearing her notice the little things. I probably look pathetic.

"What do you think of love, Irene?" I asked back instead of answering. At the back of my head, I thought I might tell her how I feel miserable because I can't tell her I like her due to my fear of being rejected. Besides, I don't want our friendship to broke up just because I'm having these feelings. It would be unfair to her if two of her friends confess. I would be pressured if I was in her situation.

"You're asking the wrong person. I don't know anything about that," she whispered, focusing on the view outside.

"Do you think someone needs a reason to fall in love?" I continued to question.

"Well," I saw Irene scratching her temple, "Probably." she said, "If you don't know the reason why you love someone then it's most likely the lust winning."

I studied Irene's demeanor. There's no denying she looks gorgeous and when we walk our way home, people's heads turn into her. But I like her more than that. I love how intricate she is with her thoughts. It might be short, but when she explains something, you just get hooked up. I love how she blinks twice when she's surprised about something. I love how her laugh sounds like the angels singing. I love it when she wraps her arms around my waist, whenever I closely bump into an object and she pulls me in. I love the certain song she hums whenever we study. I love how she respects everyone's opinion even when they don't like her that much. Or when she caresses the cat that usually hangs around the campus or sticking to Krystal even when looks at her more than friends. Or how she knows I'm okay or not just by seeing my actions. I could list down all the things, but today might not be enough to do that.

"I guess you're right," I mumbled, holding the railing tighter because I suddenly feel weak.

"Wait, are you in love?!" she asks excitedly.

"Rather than that, let's go home. It's already late." I dodged shamelessly. 

Oh Irene...

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

[A/N]:

Hello, I hope y'all are having a great weekend!

Thank you for the hundred subs. You guys rock!

σ(≧ε≦σ) ♡