Two

July on Film

Surprise! 2 updates in a day! 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

 

I'm bored, that's why. 

。゚・ (>﹏<) ・゚。

 

II

───── ❝ 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐱 ❞ ─────

July 2017

𝐓𝐇𝐄 second day I met Wendy, she enthusiastically sat beside me. Our school has this policy wherein any students can sit wherever they like as long as they behave. The early bird has the liberty to choose while the latecomers are pressured to sit in front. That's why I always come early, always choosing the middle row because no teacher bats an eye. Normally, they keep their attention to the students in front, the latecomers, or those who are behind, doing something sneaky that isn't fitted during classes. The middle is safe for me, at least.

"Are you always this early, Irene?" Wendy asks, putting her backpack on the hook attached at the side of the table. I side-eyed her, she looks comfortable even though we just met yesterday. I wish I could do the same.

"I guess," I answered, continued reading my book.

"What 'cha reading?" she spoke in a funny accent. I tried my best not to giggle.

"To Kill a Mockingbird," I replied, turning to the next page.

"Oh," I felt Wendy shifted on her seat, moving close to me. "That's a good book. We were required to read that when I was in Canada," she told then she goes back to the distance we had earlier. Maybe she just checked the book closely. "My favorite line is, 'You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view — until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.'" Wendy shared.

This caught my attention because I loved that line too. I feel sorry all of a sudden because she looks like she's not someone who will read and take it to heart if she ever finished a book. Yikes, that sounds so bad, I sound so bad.

"Isn't it amazing how this line can be applied until today?" I spoke, looking in front of the board. "People talk what they like to say, spreading rumors without validating if it's true. Spat hurtful words and accuse you of something you didn't do. They never think they are causing pain to others. Is being empathetic or having morale hard to do?" I shifted my gaze to Wendy, she looked flabbergasted. Ah, I might be into it that I said those words. "Sorry, I was rambling. I didn't mean to say it out loud." I tried focusing on the book again. Now I feel embarrassed.

"I think you are right about that." In my peripheral, I can see the guileful smile on Wendy's lips. "This world lacks empathy and morale, even myself sometimes. I know what you mean, don't worry. I was just kind of stunned by how you put it. I think you're a good person, Irene." Wendy said.

"You barely know me. You don't know that." I retorted.

"We'll see about that," she replied.

What does she mean by that? Is there a next time?

Students began to fill in after we talked. Some girls approach our desk to talk to Wendy. She is popular around, I already knew it. They are mostly asking about her Canadian life, does she prefer living there, how different is our culture to them, plus other absurd things that are too appalling to ask.

Don't they have any shame?

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

The next two weeks passed, Wendy and I rarely talk. She is always preoccupied with our girl classmates. Though, she never forgets to greet me every morning and giving me her signature cheeky smile. She still sits beside me, which is baffling since we don't talk that much compared to her friends. That's fine, I can do the usual things before we met. Moreover, I don't really relate to any of their topics especially when they mention love. My mother used to tell me it's okay to meet people, but don't let them in easily. She always tells me to be cautious on who to trust, who to vent out to, who to love. Because if I'm easy, I will give a free pass for people to hurt me.

As I grow up, I met a different kinds of people. I used to love it when girls approach me because I find it hard to communicate with them. Aren't girls supposed to be comfortable around girls, too? That's what I thought. But every time I get too close with them, they say awful things about me. It's amazing how I always caught them talking behind my back even when I don't even want to hear it.

'She thinks too highly of herself. So what if she's always the of the class, she moves like a robot.'

'Her parents must've paid the school for her to get good grades. It's impossible for someone to be pretty and smart.'

'Right? She thinks she's cool, but she's really annoying to be around. She just answers, yeah, okay, no. Can't she talk more?'

'Did you hear? Taehyung and Irene are dating. Lol, she's no match for him. Maybe she seduced Taehyung.'

'Oh my God, just seeing Irene puts me in a bad mood. I don't know why. Lol.'

Why is it my fault that I'm always top of our classes? I worked hard for it. Yes, we have tons of money to spend, why the heck would my mom waste her hard-earned salary just so I could get high grades? To be fair, I only give them short replies because I'm clearly not interested in them. Do I really need to say it out loud? I think that would be rude. What the hell? Taehyung and I are just close, does hanging around him means we're dating? Why do these people spread these nonsense rumors? Don't they have any other subjects to talk about? Jesus Christ.

After that, I stopped trying to be with them. It just drains my energy. I'm glad to have a few people around who are true to their intentions with me.

 

 

Before I knew it, the class ended. I feel discombobulated just having those flashbacks. I'm quite relieved I can finally go to our club room, Cinema Mon Amour, wherein we do film showing, sometimes review them or create short films. This was my escape from those people because here, I can be myself. My seniors are also matured compared to my classmates, thus, I enjoy myself here.

"Irene! We have a new member. Come quickly." Taeyeon ushered me to go inside after she opened the door. My eyes went wide when I saw a certain blonde talking with my seniors.

"Irene's here!" Taeyeon announced, which is unnecessary. They baby me too much because I'm the only junior they have, well, not anymore I guess. If no one joins this year, I will be all myself once they graduate next year. So yeah, they care about me the most.

They all greeted me before introducing the blonde, "Do you know Wendy? She joined us today." Krystal asked.

"Wendy's my seatmate." They were all in awe.

"That's great. I'm glad Irene doesn't have to be left all alone once we graduate." Yunho chimed, making everyone celebrate. Sometimes, I wonder if they are really older than me.

 

 

When choosing a movie to watch, all the members write their desired titles, and Boa, our president will spin the wheel. Whatever title it lands upon, that's what we're going to view. Taeyeon's pick was chosen, entitled, Portrait of a Lady on Fire directed by Céline Sciamma. I already watched this movie, it is honestly one of my favorites. The people around the club are open-minded that they don't really mind the LGBTQ+ theme and this movie is one of them.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is set during the 18th century. A female painter, Marianne, is commissioned to paint Héloïse. The painting is to be sent to her future spouse in Madrid. The twist is that Héloïse shouldn't find out that Marianne is painting her, and Héloïse's mother introduced her as a companion. During the day, Marianne closely observes the blonde while they walk around and paints her features at night. As days pass, something else envelopes between them.

I'm curious as to what Wendy will say. This is the first time I'm spending time with her other than sitting beside each other the whole day. "This is going to be good," Boa reassured the members since most of them haven't seen it yet. "Also, for the love of God Sooyoung, I know you watched this movie already. Don't spoil the members!" Boa shouted, playing the video. All of us laughed at her remark, then silence engulfed when the sound of the pencil came in.

Throughout the movie, Wendy's demeanor was engrossed to the movie. I guess she doesn't mind the genre. I don't know why I'm happy to know that. Even though I already watched this, I still admire the tension Céline Sciamma set up as the protagonists get to know each other.

Seeing the movie for the first time, it was like swimming in the ocean, holding my breath as I dive in deeper. I didn't notice I held my breath to some of the scenes until I needed air for my lungs. What I liked about Portrait of a Lady on Fire compared to other lesbian films is that Céline doesn't have to execute a scene just to satisfy our eyes from the almost 2-hour length of it. I loved how every scene seems to be a painting in disguise.

'In solitude, I felt the liberty you spoke of. But I also felt your absence.' said Héloïse. I saw a grin from Wendy, it was a cute sight to see.

"Damn, Héloïse knows how to flirt without even knowing it," Krystal spoke.

The movie continued, everyone was in their reverie. This is probably what I looked like when I watched it. I'm glad I was situated at the back, I can see my friends' reaction from time to time.

'Don't regret. Remember.' said Marianne. Ah, I will always be hurt in this scene.

When I turned my head to see Wendy, she was wiping the corner of her eyes. Oh my gosh, she's crying! I didn't know she will be swayed that way. I feel bad all of a sudden. I should've brought tissue if I knew we're going to watch this. Welp, no one knew we're going to see this anyway. I bit my tongue.

After Summer by Vivaldi played at the end, some of our members are weeping. I, too, was on the verge of crying but I tried my best to hold it in. When the movie ended, Boa ran in front of us then took a photo.

"I can't believe almost all of you cried." She laughed, showing the photo of us wiping our tears.

"Damn you, Taeyeon. I have a date later, why did you have to make me watch this?" Yoona whined, fixing her messy eyeliner.

It was already late when everyone was settled in so Boa instructed us to go home.

Today was fun, I've got to see my friends' point of view after watching the movie. The sharing of thoughts after we watch will always be my favorite. Boa's review always put me in awe, she always knows how to explain things that will be understood easily. She's not a president for nothing.

"Wah~ I'm still stuck with the movie~" Wendy huffed, holding the strap of her backpack tighter.

"That's how I am after I saw it." I chuckled at the frustrated expression on Wendy's face. She was really into it.

"Page 28 will never be the same~" she spoke.

"I know right! That was actually my favorite number for a few days, just because of the movie." I confessed, looking down as we exit the club room.

"I can understand. I'll likely be attached to that number for a few weeks." I heard Wendy laugh. "What was your favorite part?" she asked, looking at me.

"Hmm, all of it." I safely answered, smirking at her.

"Ah~ That's no fun~ If you could only pick one, what will be it?" she continued to nag.

"When Marianne was playing the harpsichord and how they were looking at each other." I finally gave in. I saw a pleasing response from Wendy. "I think that was the first time she wanted to kiss Marianne," I added.

"I agree."

"What about you? What was your favorite part?" I inquired. It isn't bad to ask back right? Since I answered her question.

"I'll say I loved all of it, too." Wendy sticks her tongue out.

"You're a fraud." I teased and Wendy playfully slapped my arms.

"Irene," she called out. I turned around to see her stopping from her tracks. The yellow-orange tint from the sun setting down hits her pupils, her brown eyes sparkling.

What a goddess in a disguise.

"Quand tu as demandé si j'avais connu l'amour. J’ai senti que la réponse était oui. Et que c'était maintenant."*

Wendy's lips gently turned upwards, she looked contented saying that. I don't understand French, so I'm assuming she reenacted a scene from the movie and that is her favorite part. It surprised me that she knows how to speak other languages. You really learn something new every day.

Wendy and I parted ways after she reached the station.

Today was a good day.

 

 

*Translation: When you asked if I had known love. I could tell the answer was yes. And that it was now. [Marianne to Héloïse]

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

[A/N]:

Edit 2: I just used Google translate when Wendy said the French line. I can't find a reliable source, so I apologize to those who know French. You can teach me instead. Jk, jk.

From now on, the pink text means the POV is from Irene, while the blue one will be from Wendy. If it's black then it's on 3rd POV.

I know POALOF came out in 2019, but let's just imagine it was already out in 2017. Hehehe. Thank you so much for the upvotes and comments. I felt gleeful reading and interacting with y'all~

Question of the day: What is the story behind your username? 

Mine is in roman numerals, which means page 28. I got it from the movie mentioned in this chapter. You could say the movie changed my life in some way and I'm planning to get a tattoo on my wrist relating to the movie. I already got an approval from my parents. Cheers to that! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

 

See you next week!

 

Love only,

Gael