KAI

Because It’s Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SAY YES

 

Night patrolling has never been much an issue for you, but given it’s the holidays season, and that your chief had assigned you for all the night patrolling for the Christmas week, you couldn’t help but feel annoyed with the uniform you’re wearing. Everything’s alright. Being a police officer is definitely a hard job so it’s alright. You had to take over Officer Hwang’s shifts for a whole week because her son is hospitalized, so it’s alright too. You’re stuck in a car, roaming around the city while everyone else is having the greatest times with their loved ones, that’s alright too.

But what’s not alright is, your partner for the entire week’s patrol being Kim Jongin.

The. Kim. Jongin.

The Kim Jongin that beat up kids in middle school.

The Kim Jongin that got four boys hospitalized and got himself suspended for a two weeks in high school.

The Kim Jongin that no one dared to challenge in the police University.

And the Kim Jongin who ended up in the same police station as you, and now is in the same police car as you.

Can any Christmas be worse than this?

 

You eye him from the corner of your eye, and see how he’s absent mindedly watching the couples that pass by your car, hand in hand, pointing at the glittering Christmas trees and laughing at the dancing Santas.

The banana milk you gave him is still untouched and clutched in his hand, and he’s chosen watching couples outside over that only bit of meal you’ll be getting for hours.

“Drink that…won’t you? Or else you’ll end up getting gastritis again.”

He tears his eyes away from the people outside, and turn to you. “Worried about me? That’s new.”

“I’m worried that I’ll have to drive you to a hospital and ask for back up like Inspector Cha did last month.” You mutter. “Just drink it. And we’ll go another time around the main street.”

Without a word, he shoves the banana milk into your hand and drive off to the street. This is how it usually ends, whenever you show the slightest pity in this robotic workaholic officer, he’ll make you lose your temper but arguing, and you both will end up being mad at each other.

“Are your parents okay with you working on Christmas?” he asks, after a good ten minutes of complete silence. You answer with a nonchalant shrug. “It’s the job I chose. So they don’t say anything. How about-” you stop your question abruptly, remembering how his parents are divorced and are now having two different families of their own.

“How about what?”

“Nothing. Never mind.”

“Aren’t you missing any dates on the Christmas eve then?”

“No Jongin.”

“What about the 31st night?”

“You know I don’t have anyone Jongin.”

“Yeah…and that’s why I asked you to go on a date with me on 31st.”

“Jongin please.”

Jongin hits the brakes so suddenly, and turns to glare at you. “Please what? Please don’t ask you out?”

 

Now this is the main reason you despise Kim Jongin, his non-stop asking outs and how blunt he makes his confessions. It has been the same since school days, he’ll just bring up the topic out of nowhere and suddenly ask you out, and you will reject as always, not at all pleased with his rough and tough way of handling things. And what irritates you the most is that he had never given up, and you still get a confession from him at least once a month.

“You’re stuck with me for a whole week in this car you know.” He leans back on his seat, and tap the steering wheel. “So why not give it a try at least for this week?”

You sigh, and stare out of the window doing your best to not lose your temper.

“And just like I always say… you don’t have any other options in our police station. The only single guys are me, Taemin hyung, Doyoung and Jaebeom. Jaebeom’s marrying next week. The other two already have girlsfriends so-”

“Just because you’re he only available single guy at work, does that mean I have to date you?” you’re starting to lose it, but you cannot help.

Jongin will always drive you to the edge like this.

“You can’t stay single forever. You know.”

“But dating you is not the option to it Jongin.”

“Why not?” he asks, turning his torso entirely your way and completely facing you. “You always say my ways doesn’t suit you but have you ever tried giving me a chance? To say I don’t suit you…do you even know what I am like? I know practically every little thing about you! It’s winter and I even know what you like the most about winter is wearing maroon sweaters. But you still don’t know that I’m allergic to banana and try to give me banana milk! We’ve known each other since we were thirteen! Remember?”

His eyes start reddening rapidly, and he turns away to stare out of his own window. You look at the banana milk bottle in your hand, and slowly start remembering how he always returned them whenever you gave him one.

You feel like apologizing, but you know that an apology to Kim Jongin can just worsen the situation. So you press your lips tight, and take out your phone.

A passing by charity team stops at your car, and the guy leading them dressed as a Santa Claus taps on your window. You look up and he gestures you to lower the glass.

“Good evening to you dear officers!”

“Good evening sir!” you reply with a grin.

“We’re having fun while you’re on duty and are protecting us…such a noble profession.” The Santa praises you aloud for the passersby to hear. “We’re giving out coffee. Would you like to have some? Or a hot chocolate?”

“Thank you.” You beam at him, and turn to tap Jongin on his arm. “Do you want coffee or hot chocolate?”

“You can have both.” He mutters, not bothering to turn and face you. “I’ll have one coffee.” You smile at the Santa sheepishly. “He’s not very fond of beverages you know.”

“Looks like a lovers’ quarrel.” The Santa winks while handing over the coffee. “You can’t just protect the citizens officer. Protect him too. He’s such a handsome man you see!”

* * *

Jongin goes easily without speaking a single word with you for two days in a row, except the ‘here, eat’ he mutters when he buys gimbap or cup noodles, and ‘get some sleep’ when he sees you dozing off.

Other than that, you’ll be driven mad by the silence in the car, if the radio channels weren’t there.

 

“How long are you gonna stay mad at me Jongin?” you ask one evening, once you feel like you cannot bear the silence anymore. “I’m not mad.” He replies, his eyes fixated on the road ahead. “I’m trying to figure out what makes you hate me this much.”

“I don’t hate you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter