BAEKHYUN

Because It’s Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SANTA ACROSS THE ROAD

 

“But mom!” you whine, sprawling across the carpet and kicking a stuffed reindeer that’s supposed to be hung on the Christmas tree. “You promised! You promised like months ago when you guys missed my birthday for some exhibition, that you’ll definitely spend the Christmas with me!”

“Please…understand the situation sweetheart!” your mom whines equally from the other end of the call. “The best part of the seminar is dragged to the end of the year and that’s what your brother had been preparing for this whole year! And you know your had has to be there too, so both of them cannot miss it!”

“Whatever! You two only love oppa and I’m adopted! I just realized it!” you snap into the phone and end the call. And you roll over the floor with a groan, with all the Christmas party plans you had, vanished into thin air.

Your phone vibrates again with a text message from your mom.

“What does my baby need from Christmas?”

You type a reply furiously.

“You’re not here to get me any gift anyway! -_-

Mom sends a reply write away.

“But I can send Santa to you! With the present you want! ;)”

“Seriously omma…” you mutter and throw the phone onto the couch.

To be honest, you had seen this coming. You had known that the seminar was inevitable for your dad and brother, and you had been kind of prepared for it all along, but right now, with all the boxes of glittery décor undone on your living room floor, you just cannot seem to make up your mind to spend the Christmas alone.

Screw that seminar and the entire dental association!

It was the twenty first of December when your mom had called and informed you about them not being able to make it home for Christmas, and until the twenty third, you had done nothing and had been brooding over the grumpy Christmas coming your way, and surviving solely on ramyeon.

Finally on the night of the twenty third, you run out of ramyeon.

All the veggies in the fridge are too much of a hassle, and you don’t feel like ordering any food, so you decide to step out and visit Jaemin and Jeno in the restaurant they work part time.

Your two favourite cousins who adore this noona so much.

(And that mean free food as well.)

 

Stepping out of the house into the street, you look down the fascinating wooden fences edging each and every house along your lane, and hear laughter and talking from most of those houses.

Christmas times are always loud and cheery…as all the families gather for holidays and spent time together.

Except for mine. You sigh.

The Kims next door had adorned all the lilac bushes in there garden with white fairy lights, and Mr. Song’s house next to the Kim’s had holly wreaths hanging on each and every door and window of theirs. The two sons of Mrs. Cheon were setting up a barbecue in the garden and waves at your, and you see two kids practicing a carol on Mr. Park’s doorstep.

Every house seem to be drowned in Christmas spirit, except for that one house that’s situated right across your on the street, the fairly large brick house that rarely had it’s garden lamps on.

Today as well, the whole place was in dark. You can only see one light through a foggy glass window, and out of pure curiosity, you decided to take a peek.

The wooden gate to the garden isn’t locked when you reach it, so you walk in through it, and approach the window in stealthy steps.

There he is.

The young man who never talks with anyone except your older brother Junmyeon, the one that rarely steps out of the house during day time is sitting in the living room, curled up on an armchair and watching some DC comics movie.

Before you decide on what to ask him, you had rung his doorbell.

You here the shuffling f slippers, and the door is opened, and the guy seems almost terrifies to see you there.

“Um…hi.” You beam at him, and he gives you a curt bow.

Dark brown hair messy and stuck out at odd angles, his glasses askew and his blue sweater stained with both cola and some red sauce, he almost make you giggle, but you manage to hold it in.

“Can- can I help you?”

Why is he stuttering?

“No…nothing…just, I was wondering whether your family’s here for Christmas. I heard from oppa that they’re in Russia.”

You lie, knowing perfectly well that they aren’t here for Christmas and he’s alone just like you.

Maybe that’s it. You’re finally relating to this neighborhood loner.

“Um…no. they won’t be coming. Too busy with work.” He purses his lips with a smile, not actually meeting your eyes. You peer into his face (this is why oppa calls you a creep), and ask the question that had suddenly popped up in your mind. “Wanna have dinner with me on Christmas?”

He head shoots up, and his eye widen as round as possible, and his lips slowly part in disbelief. “Me- me? Dinner with- you???”

“Well my family’s in china too, they won’t be here for Christmas this year. And I thought…because you’re alone too…maybe we could grab a meal together. I can’t cook! We can just decorate the houses and go out to eat…it’s okay if you don’t want to-”

“I do!”

His reply comes out so abruptly, loud and clear as you have never heard his voice before. And the next second he turns beet red and timid again, and rubs the back of his neck. “I mean… I’m okay with it… Let’s decorate your house tomorrow then. Because mine is a mess right now…so I can clean it before decorating.”

“Sure.” You beam, happy to finally have someone to spend the holiday with. “See you in the morning then.” You give him a short wave, and turn to leave the place.

“Ah by the way, you stop in the midway to the gate and turn back, to see him still standing at the doorway. “What’s your name?”

“Me?” he asks, as if he’s not someone who’s usually asked the name of. “Baekhyun. Byun Baek Hyun.”

“Baekhyun.” You repeat, mentally writing down the name. “I’m-”

“I know.” He grins, and suddenly returns to rubbing his neck. “Your brother has told me.”

* * *

It’s past nine when you wake up the next morning, and that is to the sound of your doorbell ringing. Suddenly remembering the invitation you had given your neighbor the previous night, you run downstairs, and open the door.

There he is, Byun Baekhyun, this time with his hair brushed, clad in a checkered button down shirt and jeans, but glasses still slightly askew.

“Did I wake you?” he asks apologetically.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter