XIUMIN

Because It’s Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BACK TO CHRISTMAS

 

Nervously walking along the tables decorated with crystals of every shape and color, you look for any familiar faces, because all you see are completely unknown faces to you, probably the colleagues of your brother-in-law and friends of your sister.

Even as you’re walking towards the centre of the reception hall, to greet your sister and brother-in-law who are hosting this Christmas party, you’re still thinking of some excuse to slip out of the place, and run home as soon as possible.

Parties have never been your thing. Hanging out with friends is alright, but faking smiles in front of people you meet for the first time, and dressing up with layers and layers of makeup, you’re never comfortable with these things.

More than everything you fear this party because your brother-in-law Junmyeon has probably invited all his college friends.

And that might include Kim Minseok as well.

Running into Kim Minseok has been your biggest fear for the past year, because you never trust yourself.

There’s a hundred percent probability that you’ll break down in front of him and make a complete fool out of yourself. And the Christmas songs playing in the background aren’t helping at all, making you recall how you two broke up on the Christmas Eve last year.

A group of men in tuxedos walk past you, and dreading he must be among them, you turn away to leave.

“I’ve looking for you everywhere!”

You stumble back in shock as your brother-in-law is standing right in front of you now, with his usual wide beam. “Did you meet your sister?”

You shake your head, and he takes a step back to examine you from head to toe. “Waah…seriously looking good today aren’t we? Should I set you up with someone?”

“No. Please no oppa…” you mutter warningly, and he gets the meaning of your tone at once. He was the reason you met with Minseok in the first place, as he was Junmyeon’s best friend in college. Even when things when down south between you two, Junmyeon started blaming himself, so still, even a tiny mention about Minseok from you turns him extra cautious.

“Whatever.” He takes a deep breath and gives your arm an apologetic pat. “Forget everything and have fun kiddo. This is a Christmas party. Not a funeral.”

He then walks away, leaving you all alone to yourself again. You think of finding a seat where you can stay alone without getting in trouble, and walk towards a row of empty seats, only to be grabbed by your arm from behind, and get pulled into a small circle of people.

“You know her, don’t you?”

The girl clutching you by your arm and talking to a bunch of guests is Seulgi, one of your brother-in-law’s closest friends. “Junmyeon’s sister-in-law. Graduated from Hanguk University and found a job the same year, and will be such a successful career woman one day.”

“Seulgi…” you mutter through clenched teeth, very well used to Seulgi’s method of advertising you. But the girl merely ignores your mutter, and start introducing a handsome young gentleman out of the group to you. “So this is Choi Minho, a professor in archeology in Daehan University. I’ve been telling about you to him even before you arrived…”

“Excuse me,” a too familiar figure approached the circle, catching Minho by the elbow. “Can I burrow Minho for a seco-”

The interrupter’s eyes catch you, and his words hitch midway. Annoyed because she knows the person, Seulgi just shrugs in reply.

“Never mind.” He gives a curt nod to the crowd, without meeting your eyes. “Sorry for the disturbance.”

He strides away, leaving Choi Minho looking puzzled. “Wonder why he needed me. Y’all know his right? Kim Minseok. The Marketing Chief of Seoul Electronics.”

Minho talks away, then Seulgi and the rest of the small team join the conversation as well, but you’re still left there, recalling the face that had just appeared in front of you.

Even after a year, Minseok still looks the same. The younger looking bright face, the spiky black hair, the custom made black tuxedo and his charismatic gentleman aura, just everything about him still is tugging at your chest as fresh as you broke up just yesterday. Once again you’re left here feeling so wronged, and Minseok is gone before the talk is over.

“How about some champagne?”

Minho’s voice breaks you from your thoughts, and you realize that everyone else had left the place, leaving you two alone.

Probably Seulgi’s plans.

Minho stops a passing by waiter and takes two champagne glasses, and hands one over to you. Muttering a thanks, you take it, and Minho leads you towards the area that is less disturbed by music.

“So…how’s work?” he asks, in a polite and friendly manner. “I heard you’re new to the job. It is harder to take responsibilities and work than study while depending on your parents, right?”

“Yeah.” You nod, doing your best to keep your attention on him. “It’s hard to adjust, but I’m doing alright I guess.”

“Oh! There’s a person you can get some good advice from.” Minho notices a figure that is standing in a distance, and raise his hand. “Minseok hyung!!!”

Minseok had been standing by a snacks table, blankly staring at the crystal centerpiece, until h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter