Leap

Cupid Screwed Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12. Leap

"Noona."

 

Leah is torn out of her daze. She looks away from Sehun who is soundly sleeping on the bed to Haechan at the door. Haechan glances at the rest of the guys before fixing his eyes on Leah. "Mom is calling you all downstairs."

 

She hears a couple sighs from the other boys. Chanyeol is the last one to stand from the edge of the bed and Leah waits by the door for him. "Chanyeol," she touches his hand slightly before wrapping all of her fingers around his thumb. Chanyeol just can't seem to look away from Sehun. His face gives away the fact that he knows something.

 

"Chanyeol," she nudges at him.

 

Chanyeol nods, looking away from Sehun. He leads her out of the room and Leah slightly closes the door behind her. Leah looks around with curiosity as they climb down the wooden stairs. Two doors beside the one she has just closed, upon the walls were the photographs of children, so obviously so loved. They stood out against the homely green wallpaper that met a bold white baseboard. She could see the pencil sribbles on the wall, flowers and stickmen, perhaps credits to Sehun's little sister Freya, just four year old.

 

"You know something, don't you?" she finds herself asking, slipping her hand out of his and digging it inside the pocket of her cardigan. Chanyeol sighs inaudibly, his shoulders falling. "Just tell us, alright?"

 

"I might be wrong," Chanyeol shrugs.

 

Leah stares at him for a while. What might that mean? How many problems does Sehun have that Chanyeol thinks he might be choosing the wrong one to tell? "I thought he healed. But now he's all wrapped up in bandages--"

 

"He didn't heal completely. It'll take him a day at least," Chanyeol cuts in, "He just didn't want you to freak out like that so he turned, Leah. You shouldn't have run--I bet he feels hundred times worse now." Leah knows she has messed up by the look in Chanyeol's eyes. But she only did what she thought was right, turns out it wasn't. All she needs now is for Sehun to wake up. "I can't even imagine turning with an injury like that, it must have hurt like hell," Chanyeol mutters, looking down at his feet.

 

Leah catches his string of words and feels even guiltier. "I-I'm...sorry for that," she touches his arm, "Alright?"

 

Chanyeol watches her with empty disappointed eyes. Leah sighs helplessly. "I didn't want to do that. It was...instinctive. I had never seen a live wolf ever before in my life. I was scared."

 

He nods, "Doesn't make a difference. Don't worry, he'll be fine."

 

Leah watches as he brushes off her and walks past her. It's all quiet down there as she stands in the middle of the stairs, trying to convince herself that her actions were justified. But the more she mulls over it, the guiltier she becomes. So Leah ditches the idea of downstairs and walks back into Sehun's room. When the door creaks open and Leah peers inside, she can see that Sehun has turned the other way on the bed, back to the door, blanket pulled over his head.

 

As much as she wants to leave him alone to sleep, she also wants to get things off her chest. She has a train to catch so she has to make it quick. She looks around and her eyes land on the white chair near the study table. When she nears it, she is quiet taken aback by the collection of story books lining the shelf beside the study table. Sehun just doesn't seem like someone who reads a lot. She hears a soft moan and immediately turns to Sehun.

 

"Freya, leave me alone."

 

Leah nods to herself before making a beeline towards the door. He most probably won't like any of them bothering him. She can't take a chance. 

 

"Leah."

 

"I was just, uh," she turns to Sehun who has noticed her after calling her Freya. "S-Sorry," she tries to slip through the gap of the door and the frame but his eyes morph into pleading ones and she can't move an inch. "I'll let you rest."

 

"Leah," it's only his mouth moving, the sound so soft. Sehun sighs, his back pressed against the bed now as he cranes his neck to look at her. "I'm sorry."

 

Leah hugs the door to herself, mouth opening to say something but she doesn't know what to tell him. He is most probably sorry for frightening her with his wolf form. But, it was her fault too. After all, what was she expecting? Cheek pressed to the wood of the door, she stares into his eyes that he is struggling to keep open. The yellow afternoon rays splash into the room through the window, dancing on his skin. Sehun sighs, closing his eyes.

 

She sits beside him on the bed. He opens his eyes again. "I'm sorry too," she says. "I only ran because I felt guilty. Not because I was scared."

 

Sehun only hums, like he doesn't have the energy to speak. Leah understands. "But how did you end up like that?"

 

"I was...being chased," he answers this time. Leah's eyes narrow at him. Sehun meets her gaze weakly before closing his eyes again. "T-There's a place near the forest, Leah. People doing all sorts of experiments using werewolves." Her gasping makes him flinch. "I've seen them, Leah. It's horrible. They cut us open and let us die. Just like that, like we're not half humans."

 

Leah's face contorts. She feels sorry for Sehun and also disgusted by his explanation. "So you wanted to stop them?"

 

"I just wanted to save the ones they're holding captive," Sehun says, "I was observing the place, trying to figure some plan but they spotted me. I was running but they were chasing me. They shot me," Sehun looked at the ceiling, watching the fan move. "Three men came looking for me. They thought I was dead or else they would've taken me along with themselves. I was lucky last night."

 

"You were there all night?" Leah asked, concern laced in her voice.

 

Sehun nodded. "I still have to do something about it. They can't keep up what they're doing, Leah."

 

"I don't know what you plan to do but I hope you can stop it," she passes him an assuring look, afraid to touch him anywhere. Sehun closes his eyes for a while. Leah glances away, looking down at her nails. "I'll tell the others. You should sleep."

 

"Can't you stay?"

 

Leah shakes her head, "I'm going back home. I need to see my father, Sehun." The guy sighs at that, like he wants to whine but just doesn't have that energy. "I'm sorry I can't stay. But I hope you'll heal yourself soon and you won't go wandering off at night like that alone."

 

Sehun hums, "I knew you weren't ready to see me like that and I'm sorry you had to."

 

"It's not...I mean, what was I expecting, right?"

 

"Just so you know, even when I'm an animal like that I'm still very much me," Sehun tells her, eyes opening in two slits only. Leah nods, grasping at what he is talking about. "I'll not attack you. I wish I told you these earlier."

 

"Doesn't make a difference now. Chanyeol told me you turned so quickly because of me," Leah sighs heavily, "And turning already hurts so much, right?"

 

Sehun smiles a little, "You were crying."

 

"So?"

 

"I don't know but I...didn't like it...?" Sehun tries to shrug but then ends up clicking his tongue at the pain. Leah shares a look with him, a little smile on her face. Sehun rolls his eyes playfully, "Don't think too into it, alright?"

 

Leah just grins and looks away, taken by the creak of the door. Thinking it is Haechan, she is a little surprised to find a little girl peeking her head inside. Leah looks at Sehun and then back at the girl and back at Sehun. "Freya," he calls out softly. "Come here."

 

Leah grows conscious of her appearance. Her shoulders tense because she knows she isn't good with kids. The little girl is the size of the biggest teddy bear Leah owns. It looks like she has just showered as her jet black hair stick to her little face. She walks into the room and runs to her brother's side, passing Leah a shy look. Sehun opens his arm for her and makes her sit.

 

"This is Freya," Sehun says patting her waist. Leah nods, he has said that a couple times now so Leah already knows. Freya blink at her once and twice before looking at Sehun again, "And that's Leah," Sehun tells her.

 

"Girlfriend?" Freya asks in her little curious voice.

 

Sehun shakes his head instantly, "We're just friends. Now, did you need something?"

 

"I wanted to see you," Freya tells him in an adorable voice. She cris-crosses her chubby legs. "Can I see it? The scar?" She points to her own stomach before pointing at his. Sehun smiles and slowly pushes the blanket off his torso. Both Freya and Leah curiously look at the pile of bandages covering the large wound. Freya pokes the side of his waist and Sehun gently pushes her hand away in case her fingers touch his wound, "It's scary."

 

"Yeah. Because it's a scar," Sehun smiles, ruffling her hair. Leah smiles at Freya's nod. Freya gazes at her, wordlessly afterwards. "Why don't you sing that rhyme for Unnie?" he suggests.

 

"Which one?"

 

"The sheep one?"

 

Leah nervously chuckles, "It's fine, Sehun. I was going to go." Sehun arches his brows, finding her fretting like that amusing. Leah takes a deep breath before smiling at Freya and getting up. "I'll see you around," she awkwardly waves, walking backwards at the door.

 

"Be safe," Sehun smiles a little and that's what Leah sees before closing the door. 

 

 

It's a two-hour ride home. At 6:45 am in the morning, the streets are foggy and the wind blowing in this lonely part of the town chilly. Everyone's asleep as they should be, she also expects her family to be so which is why she hasn't called anyone to greet her at the station. Her is numb because of sitting for such a long time. She had dragged herself out of bed at two in the morning to come home. Taking in the sweet scent of the air, she feels like it has all been worth it. 

 

Her luggage only includes the backpack she is carrying and all of what she is wearing. Her shoes hit the empty pavement with soft thuds in rhythm. There's no one around and no matter how good it feels to be back home, a chill runs down her spine. There are fields on either side of the road, stretching to the distant towns left and right. Leah tries to hum the song billowing in her ears but it comes out as a whimper. She stops when she feels the presence of someone else behind her. 

 

"W-Who is it?" she yells, not turning around. 

 

That's when the steps quicken. She runs too, with all her life. Leah doesn't look behind her, afraid that would slow her down. She just needs to go some fifity paces to reach the neighborhood. "Stop following me!" She exclaims. "Help!"

 

She screams in vain. Two seconds in and she has already stumbled to the ground. As she was trying to get up, she catches sight of two men, masked and looking like trouble. She resumes bolting, hoping she can escape. Her stuttering heart climbs to as she runs, second after second.

 

All she remembers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter