Written in the stars

Kkubiologist Park
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Should we walk on this path two, three more times?

Footsteps above the highway thick with silence

As we shared a wordless conversation

We looked ahead on the faraway path that the light shined on



Then I knew

That I can’t go any further

As we got closer to heartbreak, step by step

I felt my hand that held yours slowly disappear







“A thousand.” 

“That much?” the other girl asked.

“Yes,” she nodded.

“Where did you hear all this Kkura ya?”, Eunbi straightened her back and a smile danced on her lips. This Japanese girl she adored since first year of college really is a unique person.

“It's a typical belief a Japanese would believe. And even non Japanese believe this. Maybe you're just too old, you didn't know this,” Sakura jerked her tongue.

A piece of tangerine peel flew straight to her cheek and laughter erupted from the two.

 

“So does this mean you know how to fold paper cranes?” Eunbi asked

“Just because I said I believe it and it's a typical Japanese belief in which coincidentally I'm a Japanese, nope. I don't know how to fold paper cranes. My brain wasn't built for that,” Sakura shrugged.

“Yish! I thought you knew how to do it,” Eunbi huffed.

Sakura took a sit at her bedside and wiped Eunbi's forehead, “But I somehow know how to fold paper stars.”

Eunbi laughed at the cute confident face of Sakura. “Sure sure. Paper stars would be good too right?”

Sakura nodded nonchalantly “Yeap! As long as it's a thousand, then I think it's good.”




**********




I took a few steps back on purpose

To look at you walking alone, without me

To see the sight of no one by your side

As if it was a black and white street

But then you turned around

 

Then I knew

That I couldn’t leave you

No matter what hardships come

We can endure it more than heartbreak




“Can you pass me the blue paper?” Eunbi asked as the piece of paper laid next to Sakura.

Instead of paper cranes, they opted for paper stars. “With a plot twist to it,” Sakura giggles.

Eunbi creased her forehead, tilting “Then will the wish come true then if it's not paper cranes?” 

“Umm.. Well I think Kami sama is not cruel. As long as you trust in Him, he will make it true,” Sakura shrugged, giving Eunbi random coloured paper instead of blue.

“Or so I hope,” slowly she muttered. Thinking Eunbi might not heard it.

 

“Kkura ya, this is not blue,” Eunbi chuckled.

Sakura tried to laugh along but she could only smile. A sudden realisation comes to Eunbi's mind when she realizes Sakura cannot see colours yet.

“Kkura ya, have you ever wondered what colours looks like?” Eunbi bluntly asked. It's a heavy question that has been lingering on her mind longer than the time she knew about her cancer a year ago.

“Sometimes. But I think I can see colours through you,” Sakura smiled again.

Eunbi sighed and put down the red paper Sakura handed her before, “But it's not the same Kkura. I want you to see colours the way I can see them. I want you to see how beautiful it is to see more than black white and grey.”

 

Sakura gasped and an idea to tease Eunbi landed on her mind, “Are you trying to say that black white and grey are ugly? The people who couldn't see colours would be so hurt by your words.”

Eunbi was caught speechless and tried her hardest to fix the situation. But all she can do is stutter.

“No..No..I, I mean they are beautiful too. But.. But…”

 

It's Sakura’s turn to chuckle and she patted Eunbi's knee, “I'm just teasing you. Instead of asking me if I ever wondered about colours, why don't you tell me how the colours look like. From your eyes,”

 

“Okay,” Eunbi straightened her back. Pointing out the window. 

“Blue. It's the colour of the skies. Something it's dark grey when it's in a bad mood. But today it's blue. It's a calming tone I wished for you to see. Because everytime I see the skies, I feel like my heart is light. And because you are my best friend, whenever I see the blue skies I want you too, to feel at rest,” the two locked their eyes.

“Red. It's the colour of rose. Of course you already know it. Red symbolizes bravery, it's a common line. For me red is the colour my heart beats whenever I see your cousin. Whenever we hold hands and whenever we kis..”

“Shhh skip that part I don't wanna stain my pure ears,” Sakura rolled her eyes. To which Eunbi smirked and jerked her tongue out “Jealous~”

 

“Brown, it's the colour of your hair. Brown is also the colour of your eyes.You have beautiful eyes by the way. I don't know how to describe it but everytime I see your brown eyes, especially when the sun falls onto it, I feel at peace. It's calming everytime I see it. But don't get too smug about it bestie~”

Eunbi laughed at the commotion and continued.

 

“Pink. It's the colour for you. Sakura's colour. It's often associated with femininity and I think it shouldn't be that way. Cause you're not really feminine but pink is your colour. It could be both cold and warm. Just like you.”



“Black. Your cousin’s favourite colour. He looks good in it. And for your information, my hair is black coloured. Black is a unique colour. Some say they symbolize chic but for me it's the colour that surrounds me after I got the cancer news. All the colours I see when your cousin walks into my life couldn't even gulp them down.”

“But then a colour called yellow comes into my view. It's the colour of the sun. And it brings sunshine into my life. Do you remember the day we found out about my cancer? You wore yellow on that day. And you said to me,”

“I won't leave you. No matter what hardships come,” the both of them said in unison.

Sharing soft sentimental smiles.





Sakura rested her chin on her palm. Finding a comfy position to place her hand on the bed and when she found it, she tilted her head towards Eunbi. “So then, what's your favourite colour? I'm curious.”

“Yellow. I decided that it's my favourite colour. Because I think it's a bright colour and bright colours suit my bright personality. I'm not a narcissist, I just know myself a lot. Yellow is the colour of the slipper you're wearing and it's also the colour of your favourite shirt,” Sakura looked down to her feet to see it.

“Yellow looks good on you by the way,” Eunbi complimented again.

“But I think it suits you the best, Eun.”

 

Eunbi patted the younger's head and asked, “What colour are you most curious of Kkura ya?”

Sakura pulled herself back and leaned onto the chair, arms crossed, “Orange.”

“Orange? Well it's the colour of your favourite tangerine,” Eunbi explained.

“And how do you view it?” The younger asked.

“Well orange is a mix of pink and yellow, and…” before Eunbi could finish her words, Sakura's cousin walked in and the whole mood changed.

 

“Oii my annoying cousin and my favourite girl! What are you both doing?” He carried a few plastic bags into the room and went to Eunbi's side. Placing sweet kisses on her lips. Eunbi rested her palms on her boyfriend's face as she devoured the kisses. Sakura just smiled as she watched from the side.



“We're making kimbap. Can't you see?” Sakura rolled her eyes, throwing the paper stars scattered on Eunbi's bed.

Her cousin took a chair next to her and ruffled her hair. Hanbyul, her 1 year older cousin. They grew up together and always got mistaken as siblings due to their closeness and how inseparable they are.
Hanbyul and Eunbi were in the same basketball team and what's more amazing is that Eunbi and him share the same birth date. September 27th. 

 

Few years ago, during their coming of age day, they finally saw colours. It was written that you will see colours when you met your soulmate and how romantic it is for the two of them who had been harboring feelings towards each other since their high school senior year to be each other's soulmate.

One thing that Sakura could never be; Eunbi's soulmate.

 

Sakura is already 23 and thus both Hanbyul and Eunbi wonder when will the girl finally see colours. Her soulmate ought to be living somewhere. Or maybe Sakura has to move further to meet him. Or her. Whatever Sakura's orientation is. No anti-lgbtq, said Hanbyul.

 

“Why are you folding so many paper stars? Are you trying to decorate this room?” Hanbyul took a red paper star and tried to toss it. Eunbi and Sakura quickly catch his hand before he could do so and that annoying man just laughed.

“Well Sakura said the Japanese have a legend that says if you fold 1000 paper cranes, your wish will come true,” Eunbi explained.

“Correct me if I'm blind but this is no paper cranes,” Hanbyul pointed to the paper stars scattered around.

“Well, we made a bit of a twist. Paper cranes are mainstream. We're going for paper stars,” Sakura shrugged.

 

“And how does it work? Will it even work though?”

“Well… God ain't cruel like you, Byul. We made a twist. Because we folded paper stars, we have to write our wish on the last 44 paper stars,” Sakura explained.

Hanbyul creased his forehead at the new found superstition.

“Will it work though?”

Sakura sighed and said, “Again, God ain't cruel like you. He will grant your wish when he sees how hard you work.”

“But paper stars are easy to make,” Hanbyul retorted.

“Again, God ain't cruel. He will judge your sincerity. And I don't think He will grant your wish because you're questioning Him a lot,” Sakura flicked his forehead.

“Auch, that hurts sister!” Hanbyul whined and rubbed his sore forehead.

“Serves you right!” Both Eunbi and Sakura laughed.

 

Hanbyul took out the foods he bought and the three of them enjoyed it all the while sharing jokes and gossiping about the patient next door who always bangs the wall.

“What do you think he's doing?” Hanbyul asked mischievously.

“Throwing tantrums,” Sakura answered innocently.

Hanbyul and Eunbi rolled their eyes at her.

 

“Ugh, it's hard trying to befriend a motae solo like you,” Hanbyul rolled his eyes.

Sakura took her chopsticks and stabbed his ribs, “Shut the fck up! You're just lucky Eunbi wants you or else you'd be motae solo too!”

 

Eunbi laughed out loud watching the interaction and almost choked on her tteokbokki. The two cousins yet again bickered, blaming each other for Eunbi's accident.

“You two are really funny,” she said.

“I'm funnier,” Hanbyul defended.

“Nah bro, you're just funny because you're not funny,” Sakura snickered.

“Then that means I'm funny,” he defended again.

“No it means you're lame. Not funny.”

Hanbyul pinched Sakura's cheek and said, “At least I'm not a motae solo! 😝”

“Yish! You're annoying!” Sakura slapped his hand and pouted.

“Whatever, you still love this brother of yours anyway~”




**********




Watching Eunbi resting her head on Hanbyul’s shoulder really does something to her heart. How sweet it must be to find your soulmate and able to love each other.

How good must it be to have what the two of them are having.

How good it must be to love someone and have them love you back.

 

All Sakura ever wanted was to be loved by the one she loves.

Why does God have to make it so complicated for her?

 

Why does this, “You will see colours when you meet your soulmate. But only after you turned 18” bull have to exist?

Which mf created this?

Tell me which one of you??!!

 

How good it must be, to just have all this colour and soulmate bull gone.



“Kkura ya!! Yah! Miyawaki Sakura!” 

A piece of paper flew over to her face and Sakura gasped out loud.

“What were you thinking kiddo?” Her cousin asked.

“I'm just thinking of something funny,” Sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter