Two

That Spring When Hydrangeas Bloom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"Mom, you put too much stuff in my closet." I yawned as I propped myself on the breakfast nook the next morning. I was so well-rested I thought I could pull off another 24-hour shift...or not. 24-hour shifts were the worst but I was just thankful it was just every Fridays until Saturdays so we got the Sundays off.

 

Upon dressing up this morning, I saw boxes and paper bags of different brands but I didn't open them yet. They must be clothes, bags or shoes of some sort that my mom got from her trip with Erin. I didn't need that much stuff because most of the time I was just in my scrubs and Crocs in the hospital. I didn't know when I will be able to wear those.

 

My mom rolled her eyes before answering. "You always complain when I get you things. Aren't you supposed to say thank you?"

 

I sighed before smiling sarcastically. "Thanks mom you're the best I love you so much." And frowned after.

 

She smiled back with the same sarcastic smile I plastered. "I can't believe my sweet yet cold daughter has no sense in fashion maybe that's why you're still single but you're welcome."

 

I was forced to wear the things my mom bought–from top to bottom, including my handbag because she won't stop nagging at me to change my clothes after breakfast. I told her I was going to be late for my 7AM duty but she won't budge so I had no choice but to adhere to the old lady's orders.

 

Sometimes it got me wondering if she was really my mom or not. There were instances wherein she didn't act like her age but knowing that I had her sarcastic attitude made me realize that indeed, she was my mom.

 

I decided to drive myself to the hospital for the first time after acquiring a designated parking lot. I arrived 30 minutes before 7, just in time for me to prepare for the surgery at 8AM.

 

While I was gathering up my things after parking, a figure of a man whose car was about three cars across from mine caught my eye. He was in a casual pastel blue suit and white shoes with his brown handbag on his right, and his car keys on his left that he was swirling on his fingers. Thank goodness for my tinted windows I had the chance to look at him closely and realize it was that doctor from the coffee shop. Great.

 

I absentmindedly bumped my head on the steering wheel and was surprised when my car honked for about 2 seconds. It must've caught him by surprise as well because I saw him looking back when he walked past by me.

 

I didn't have much time to waste so what I did was I waited for just about 5 minutes so I didn't have to catch up on him walking. I also wore a black surgical mask just in case we met at the elevator, which already made me cringe because that'd be too awkward. He shouldn't see me no matter what the odds were.

 

Speaking of the odds, they weren't on my favor. I caught up on him waiting for the lift in the underground parking. There were two other doctors with us and they seemed to know each other because they were talking. I just bowed at the three of them because they looked like they were my seniors.

 

We all got inside when the elevator doors opened. I stood at the back after clicking my floor. I looked at the lighted numbers and saw GS1 and OB2 floors that suddenly got me curious – what department was he perhaps in? I was planning on avoiding it.

 

I lost my train of thoughts when I suddenly got a call from Seojun. What a good timing. He called at one of the most silent moments that could happen in a person's life – an elevator ride. I dropped the call and put my phone on silent but the vibrations were so annoying I decided to just answer it. He could've just texted me because I knew he was only going to say he put a can of coffee on my table but since it was Park Seojun, of course he wasn't going to do that. 

 

"Wha–Hello?" I was supposed to lay out the attitude on him but realized I wasn't alone and I didn't want people to misunderstand. 

 

"Let me guess; you are at the elevator, you put your phone on silent, you answered because your phone won't stop vibrating, you're faking your nice tone because you aren't alone, and I am annoying the hell out of you now." He let out that laugh that would seriously make you want to peel off his skin at that moment. Years of being friends and this man already memorized every inch of my attitude. This cycle had been going on ever since so it wasn't a surprise anymore how he knew. It was just too obvious he enjoyed doing it to me.

 

"Thank you for the coffee." That was it and I dropped the call afterwards.

 

The surgery on the patient was a success. After removing the hematoma, we found that the artery responsible for the bleeding was the medullary pial artery3. She didn't have complications post-op4 so she was set for rehabilitation at 48 days after the onset and would have her follow-up 3 months after.

 

"Good job, everyone." It was already past lunchtime when we finished so Professor Kwon told us to take a 1-hour break and we were off to his rounds after. 

 

Minyoung and Soohyun joined me in for lunch because they had just come out from their surgeries as well – Minyoung was in obstetrics while Soohyun was in anesthesiology which made me remember something.

 

Before I could even say something, Minyoung beat me to it. "Ah, right. What happened to that hot doctor you were with?"

 

Again, before I can even answer, Soohyun butted in. They really won't let me speak. "Gyeongjun's accepting new applicants for residency. Want me to help you?"

 

I dropped my chopsticks and massaged my temples. Sometimes really talking to your friends weren't at all therapeutic. They made me more stressed than I already was. I didn't plan on telling them what happened. They weren't the type to pry in further anyway. "Do you know what department he's in?" Finally, I got to ask what I had been dying to ask. I JUST HAD TO KNOW.

 

"You can't avoid him. He's basically everywhere. I mean, he owns this hospital." Minyoung knew what I was planning on doing and she made it sound so casual even though she was fully aware how loud my internal screams were. Were we even friends in the first place?

 

"He's not in anes," Soohyun said as he opened the can of coffee Seojun gave me and handed it to me with a straw this time. He must've noticed I didn't bring along my metal straw. He always had a pink one with him which was intended for me only. He knew I didn't like drinking on cans without straws so he always brought one every time we ate in case I forgot mine. 

 

"He's not in OB as well." 

 

I recalled the floors from the elevator earlier and finally found my answer. "He's in GS!" I didn't realize that I raised my tone on that one until someone stopped beside our table. Following him were two younger looking ones in while lab coats who were perhaps med students.

 

"Yes? Are you talking about GS? Do you have concerns about a patient?"

 

Great. It was Dr. Kim. He must've recognized me because he squinted his eyes while looking at me, seeming like he was trying to remember where he saw me. From my periphery, I saw the muted side smiles of Minyoung and Soohyun, basically telling me "You're in trouble." 

 

I mentally did a face palm while cursing at myself for being so careless. My plan on going through my residency peacefully didn't seem to be going along so well because I kept on getting in trouble in my first month here. I think if I applied in Gyeongjun it wouldn't be like this.

 

"Oh, it's you!" He really did recognize me because he had that same huge smile on his face I saw the other night which highlighted his dimples even more. His dimples were cute; he should've just become one instead of being an actual human being.

 

I already started getting flashbacks of the day I told my dad I was going to med school and the thorough process I went through just to make him agree. I should've just majored in business and helped my brother. In that case, he will stop nagging at me as well for running it alone.

 

Whatever. I wouldn't be happy running a bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter