Sixth Chapter

Getaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Miyeon thought love was just an illusion, a feeling that would eventually fade, a promise that ultimately would be broken, Minnie managed to prove those accusations wrong. They were in love. Crazily, madly, pathetically in love. Especially Minnie. The girl was so head over heels with her to the point of willingly making the most disgustingly sweet gestures to make her smile.

Her fingers tenderly ran through the frame of their picture on her desk, and a soft, sad smile instantly ghosted her features. How could she forget this moment in their photo? They acted as if they’re being wed, Yuqi and Shuhua capturing their fake prenup shoot's best image in the scene. They still wore their college uniforms, and the two young foreigners their high school ones. Soojin and Soyeon just entered the university at that time and were equally supportive of their crushes by guarding their belongings. Simultaneously, the maknaes ran around the university’s park, admiring and wishing that they’d enter the same campus with them.

Miyeon sighed wistfully as she recalled how happy they were during those years, how Minnie would often make the grandest surprises, the sweetest acts, and promising her the world as if tomorrow would never exist if the two of them weren’t together. She sighed. Such innocence they held that was awfully blinded by hope and love. Oh, how young they were to believe that everything would be okay as long as they have each other, as long as Minnie had Miyeon.

“And you’re the one who asked me to stay,” Miyeon muttered, eyes lovingly fixed on Minnie’s smiling photo with her. “And I did. I stayed, Minnie. Now, where are you?”

Her voice cracked midway, and unconsciously, a tear silently slid down her cheeks, passing by the soft scar that decorated her face. Quickly wiping it away, she placed the frame back on her desk and slammed it down. Why she decided to pick it up or even visit the memory lane in the first place would remain a mystery. She blamed her grandma for bringing up Minnie in their conversation earlier, however. Perhaps, she just missed her, or maybe her friends. Or just the six of them in general. She doesn’t really know. And would she like to know the answer? Again, she really doesn’t know. The whole ordeal was long buried in the depths of her mind, and she had forgotten already what promises felt like anymore.

When she met Minnie, her life was suddenly filled with wonderful colors that living didn’t seem to be as bland as she had believed. She always stayed with a routine: studying and surviving, given their financial limitations. She had to stick with it as she couldn’t honestly afford to fail. But Minnie broke everything and, surprisingly, introduced her to a whole new environment that she only thought were wishful thinking. Something she could never experience beyond her grave.

But there was Minnie. And Minnie turned her life upside down. Perhaps even into an endless cycle of hope and love. Suddenly, tomorrow was something Miyeon always looked forward to, as long as Minnie was there. The anticipation would always be worth waiting for. But then, eventually, Minnie left. And waiting for her to come back became a routine Miyeon despised that waking up felt more like an obligation than a blessing. She was grateful that she lived despite the aftermath, but was she happy? Far from that, to be honest.

Every single day, the first thing that would cross Miyeon’s mind was Minnie, Minnie, Minnie! She lost count already how she went back and forth on their special place, expecting that Minnie would be there, that she would show up like what she promised. But for two years, she never did. And Miyeon was just human. She gets tired, too.

She gave up eventually and went back to her life full of routine, of expected outcomes, of repeated scenarios; basically, a life where she’d always have to drag herself to make it until tomorrow. It doesn’t necessarily mean that when she met Minnie, her life drastically changed. No, not really. But the Thai made it easier to glide along the waves of life. With Minnie’s smile that always assured her, Minnie’s hand that always guided her and Minnie’s embrace that always protected her, Miyeon never felt safer or felt more home than any other place aside Minnie’s warm touch. She was her person. Her lover. Her destiny. Her one and only.

 

 

The kiss always filled Miyeon’s mind. Ever since that incident, Miyeon wasn’t able to sleep, and surprisingly, she felt as if she was missing that kind of intoxicating feeling of Minnie’s soft lips. Well, it was her first, really, so it can’t be helped when her curiosity more often eats her alive than satisfy her at all. How could she not think of the Thai every time if she was insanely hot? Popular? Rich? Cute? Kind? Caring, lovable, adorable? She was the complete opposite of Miyeon, and yet, boundaries didn’t seem even to faze Minnie as she continuously pushed the Korean to the edge.

Unfortunately, however, as much as Miyeon would like to taste Minnie’s lips again, she was more concerned about their relationship status. She might be innocent, but she wasn’t naïve. And Minnie was treating like her one that it honestly pisses her off. One moment Minnie was so sweet, even going as far as carrying her books and walking her to her next class. There were even some instances where the Thai would just stare at her and would slowly lean closer to Miyeon’s face, their lips almost touching before the Thai would instantly pull herself back. If that alone didn’t confuse Miyeon already, well, the Thai certainly prepared more mixed signals after.

Suddenly, Minnie would deliberately avoid her, making excuses that she had some extra co-curricular activities she had to take care of. This puzzles Miyeon as Minnie never mentioned that she took additional classes, or whatever it might be. Every single chance of Miyeon asking about what happened between them, Minnie would instantly shut it off, excusing herself as fast as she could before Miyeon could complain.

This has been happening for a week now, and Miyeon was far from being kind and composed as she waited for Minnie in this same spot where the Thai had courageously made her move but cowardly faced the consequences of it. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter