First Chapter

Getaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Shuhua, stop!”

Minnie heard Soojin yell, her vision becoming blurry as tears began to cloud her eyes. Her hand softly made its way to her cheek, feeling the burning sensation of Shuhua’s slap.

“How dare you show your face after all these years?!”

She could only smile sadly, ashamed of what she had done by showing unannounced after three years. It certainly would surprise them, and probably in the worst way. She could only look at the two; Soojin trying her best to stop Shuhua from tackling her down while the Taiwanese's eyes were full of fury, pain, and betrayal as she fought her way against Soojin’s tight embrace. Her knees felt weak after a while and finally, she gave up, kneeling onto the floor to weep and scream her frustrations out.

Soojin pleaded with her eyes and motioned Minnie to leave while she calms the Taiwanese down.

“Not today, Min. Not today.”

 

 

High school best friends. Yes, that’s what they call themselves. Hanging out every lunch and after class, talking about the uncertainty of their futures, but assuring everyone that they’ll stay together regardless of what happened.

Minnie and Miyeon were seniors at that time, Soojin and Soyeon being juniors, Yuqi in her sophomore, and Shuhua, the Taiwanese freshman. How they ended up together as a group was still a mystery to them, but they’re mostly sure it was because of Yuqi being the social butterfly she is, and building bridges together for everyone to meet. She was already friends with Shuhua at that time because of their common language, and Shuhua was obviously head over heels over a certain Junior named Seo Soojin, who apparently helped her order food at the cafeteria on her first day of school. The Taiwanese barely spoke Korean, and she was too ashamed to ask anyone for help, that was until Soojin asked her.

Yuqi, being the supportive friend she was, tried to help Shuhua to meet Soojin, who at that time was friends with the school’s music genius, Jeon Soyeon. Minnie and Miyeon were their favorite seniors. Every time there’s a study event where different levels of students were to meet to help each other, Minnie and Miyeon always volunteered to help them through their exams and giving them survival tips about the subject and certain professors. They said that they met Yuqi first, her personality wasn’t that hard to get along with even if you just bump with her casually at the cafeteria. She had this amiable charm and a comforting smile that literally makes you drop your guard down. In fact, that very personality of hers was what made her popular around the school, every boy and girl crushing on her and asking her out.

However, Yuqi would always deny this, saying that everyone was just as friendly as her, causing Soyeon to scoff and that she’s too naïve or innocent.  The two had been bickering since then, but the group knew that they both shared the strongest bond. On the other hand, Shuhua had been getting better with Korean, thanks to Minnie patiently teaching her, and the Taiwanese’s drive to impress Soojin and talk with her in her native language. Minnie could only shake her head. The freshman was in too deep of her feelings already, but she’s glad that Shuhua turns her passion into something productive. That was, of course, until she felt jealous over a certain guy named Hui, who continuously flirts on her Soojin. Soojin, on the other hand, didn’t mind Shuhua’s annoying, and equally adorable antics towards her. Surprisingly, according to Soyeon, Soojin rarely lets anyone be close to her physically, except for Shuhua. The group then knew the two shared the strongest bond.

Minnie and Miyeon, however, had known each other for years already. They both entered the school at the same time and immediately clicked during orientation. Miyeon was the shy type kind of person, while Minnie was almost the same as Yuqi. At first, Minnie had a hard time adjusting to Miyeon’s personality and routines. The Korean barely reacted to her jokes, or accepted her invites to hang out during weekends. It drove her crazy how innocent Miyeon was, and what ed her most was her unbelievable kindness.

It amazes Minnie, how Miyeon could always forgive her tiest behavior with a smile and without a tinge of judgment in it. Minnie was known to be a rebel: dyeing her hair with different colors depending on her mood, trying out every exciting thing she comes across with, even the riskiest vices (cigarettes, drugs, one-night stands, you name it, she had most probably done it). But that was only because she didn’t know how to control her desires that time, being the spoiled daughter of the Yontararak, and growing rich and barely facing any struggles or hardships. If she went to jail, she could easily bail herself out.

Everyone tried befriending her the moment she stepped her foot on the school, showering her with fake compliments and pretentious smiles. She knew that would happen. It’s not like, it wasn’t an uncommon scenario already. She tried her best to give them her smiles, but she swore it literally tires her out to be as fake as them. However, despite being a rebel, she does need to maintain her Yontararak reputation.

Miyeon was different though. The girl was literally mute when she sat next to her during orientation, only speaking softly to respond to the MC's questions. Minnie never felt this uncomfortable with anyone. Being ignored was something she never experienced before, so it does hurt her pride a little bit, but at the same time, she was grateful for the peace Miyeon gave her, unlike the other students who just kept asking her with atrocious, redundant, and shallow questions that seriously bore her to death.

“Thank you.” She mumbled softly when the orientation ended, looking over at Miyeon who smiled immediately in response.

“You’re welcome.” Came the shy response of the girl.

And Minnie blinked. The girl didn’t even know why she was thanking her, or does she?

“I don’t know what you’re thanking me for, but whatever it is, I’m glad I could be of help.” The girl added, smiling one last time towards the Thai before she made her way out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter