Seventh Chapter

Getaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
BACKSTORY PART ONE 

MiMin

--------

 

It was a dream.

 

Well, it felt like it.

 

Sophomore year. College. It was no doubt the best year for all of them.

Minnie, the ever hopeless romantic she was, stood anxiously in the middle of the university’s park, a bouquet on her right hand and a teddy bear on her left. Do girls love these kinds of things?

 

Do Miyeon love these kinds of things?

 

She tapped her foot impatiently. The sun was scorching hot, and the makeup she lightly wore gradually melted with each trickle of her sweat on her forehead. Soojin and Soyeon hid under the comfort of the tree’s shade not too far, holding a massive banner that was currently folded into half. The words of Minnie’s undying and disgustingly sweet profession boldly printed on it.

 

‘What the is taking them so long?’

 

It had been thirty minutes already when Shuhua and Yuqi fetched Miyeon on her class --which she was confident that it ended already twenty minutes ago-- and yet, there stood Minnie, trying her best to be resilient under the searing sun, while at the same time, her eyes fixed on the exit gate of their university.

 

‘They better not spoil this!’

 

She groaned. Yuqi and Shuhua never knew when to keep their mouths shut. But she swore if Miyeon became suspicious with either from their words or behavior, Minnie would never, ever, treat the maknaes again to their favorite cafe, nor will she ever graciously volunteer to help them with their academics.

 

That threat alone horrified Yuqi, considering that she’s just a year away from college, and the girl was really eager to make it to SNU, or else, she would have to deal with her parent’s marriage proposal-- a bargain Minnie formed to save Yuqi, albeit it only gave the Chinese more time to enjoy her single life than actually free herself from the absurd traditions. Either way, Yuqi was more than grateful for the trade, but Minnie wasn’t satisfied, nor did she ever accept the meeting outcome. Her goal was to make Yuqi’s parents realize that their daughter was more than capable of running their business without ANY support and most especially from any MAN. However, marriage seemed like an essential part of Chinese traditions. Especially family. A family that would carry their wealth and name across the globe, continent, and ambitiously the whole world. A typical ideology of the Song’s: a household of political dynasties and magnates. No wonder they get along with the Yontararaks.

For what seemed like an eternity, and a few more weird stares from every passerby, Minnie finally caught a glimpse of Miyeon exiting the gates, Yuqi and Shuhua laughing beside her and seemingly unaware of what’s about to happen. She mentally praised the maknaes for a well-done act. Taking a deep breath, Minnie signaled for Soojin and Soyeon to stand-by while she prepares herself for whatever result of this stupid idea Shuhua --the forever greasy and hopeless romantic like Minnie herself-- suggested. She wondered if the younger girl ever pulled this ridiculous performance for Soojin already. Well, it’s not really far from reality considering how Shuhua still followed the now-freshman-of-SNU obsessively, despite Minnie’s stern warnings and deadly threats --stares-- to Soojin.

Nonetheless, the two of them have been getting closer. Perhaps, Shuhua’s persistent wooing finally broke Soojin’s almost indestructible walls. She just wishes them the best. Soojin and Soyeon were recent additions to their family, after all.

“Minnie!”

Minnie snapped from her thoughts as soon as she heard her name being called. Miyeon cheerfully waved at her while she walked with the two foreigners, who were giving them the hand signals already. Wiping the sweat that formed for waiting too long under this blazing sun, Minnie took a moment to lightly fix herself. Her hair was naturally down, and her infamous bangs slightly covered her eyes. She gave Miyeon a wave back while her other hand motioned for the two hiding Korean to jump out anytime soon.

 

‘This better work out!’

 

It had been a week ever since Minnie and Miyeon had their second kiss; the latter was ever so curious and delighted with the new feelings swimming in her chest, tummy, and practically her whole body. Minnie had to ground Miyeon’s excessive fantasizing once in a while. The girl watched too many dramas to the point of acting them out to Minnie --especially those terrible pick-up lines-- which would often send creep-shivers down the Thai’s spine. But then again, she was too whipped for the Korean to even complain, so she would just lightly pat Miyeon’s head. Although internally, she was really, really, cringing. Miyeon looked cute, though, so what gives.

And because of those ludicrous and disgustingly sweet dramas Miyeon watched, she was obviously HINTING Minnie that she wanted the same fairytale to happen to her. Frequently pointing out how the guy was so romantic to give the girl of her dreams a bouquet, or that one protagonist who randomly gifted the love of her life a teddy bear, or, and the most preposterous of them all, a confession happening in front of everyone while proudly professing their love!

So here Minnie stood, under the harsh heat of the sun, with a banner hidden behind somewhere waiting to unfold for Miyeon to relish, and holding the same gifts the protagonists on the dramas gave to their lovers. She wondered if Miyeon ever loved flowers, or teddy bears, or a public display of affections.

Had she taken the hints wrong? Was she just making an excuse to create a scene that would inevitably pressure Miyeon to say yes? Sure, they’ve known each other for so long and had recently confessed their feelings, too. But Minnie lightly scolded herself for not knowing even the most trivial things Miyeon likes or loves. What kind of a girlfriend -- friend-- is she? Well, in her defense, she had never loved anyone like this before, nor had she ever confessed to anyone. It was always the other way around. So falling in love with Miyeon --despite having experiences beforehand with relationships already-- felt absolutely like the first time Minnie tasted the sweetest candy given to her: pure, raw, honest, and incredibly addicting! She felt like a lovesick teenager falling in love for the first time!

Well, that’s precisely what Minnie is now, in all honesty.

With little to no time to worry, Minnie quickly cleared and threw the idea off for a while. Miyeon was just a few more walks away from her now, and Minnie swore aside from the stimulants she took before or the thousands of caffeine she drank every end of the semester, nothing ever made her heart race so naturally like this. Unlike the substances she consumed, this certain feeling felt unexpectedly warm, safe, mellow, tender, soft but equally ardent, passionate, inviting, bewitching---

“Beautiful…” She breathed out in a daze when Miyeon finally stood in front of her with that oh-so-loving smile.

“Excuse me?”

Realizing that Minnie had been lost in her daydreams once again, she quickly flashed Miyeon a sheepish smile before shyly handing the presents she got for her. The Korean took it hesitantly, completely confused about what was happening.

“What are these for?”

“You’ll see.”

 

 

Had Miyeon ever told everyone how extravagant, romantic, and unnecessarily lavish Minnie could be?

 

With the countless, outrageous gifts she gave Miyeon that would most likely total to a whole life her parents had ever earned --and maybe more than that, too-- Miyeon could only scrutinize in horror when she finally had the time to organize her things back in her home, a special box at one side contained all of Minnie’s ‘little’ presents to her.

Needless to say, she had been undeniably appalled every time Minnie would casually -- and randomly-- hand her trinkets that cost more than what her little penny of savings could imagine. She wasn’t aware beforehand of the price, seeing they were only cute keychains or phone accessories that could be bought in any thrift store. However, when one of their classmates pointed out that the silver bracelet she wore one time was a limited-edition from Tiffany and Co., one could only imagine the heart attack and petrified expression Miyeon held.

Minnie, the oh-so-rich-princess of the Yontararak’s, nonchalantly dismissed Miyeon’s hyperventilations and told her that it’s nothing of a deduction to a Yontararak’s wealth. Ever since then, Miyeon would purse her lips while squinting her eyes at the Thai whenever she’d receive another of her random presents, intentionally refusing to accept it unless she knew where it came from or how much it costs.

This annoyed Minnie to hell, because one, she never really cared which or where or how she got the trinkets for Miyeon. If she saw something cute, she’d immediately buy it, whether it was costly or not. She never even bothered to look at the price anyway. Her Black Credit Card could choke! Two, she hated being questioned because going back to her first reason: SHE. NEVER. CARED!

But Miyeon was adamant, and surprisingly, offended. This one particular expression of the girl finally shook Minnie into reality. Miyeon felt affronted for being slapped with the existence of their family’s economic status--albeit the Thai’s naiveness or innocence. These gifts were nothing, but life-pleasures Miyeon’s family could never, ever, afford even beyond their graves. And Minnie was just casually spending while Miyeon had always needed to save up. Their future wasn’t as promising nor stable compared to the Thai, after all.

It took a while for Minnie to understand Miyeon’s point of view, given that Minnie never had to worry about her tomorrow, anyway. But Miyeon? Miyeon felt being pitied. Sure she had always gushed about those cute, little items from those ridiculously expensive stores they passed by and telling Minnie how she ever wanted to collect keychains. But she never expected for the Thai to be what? So ing dumb to purchase a box of assorted items --that Miyeon never had an idea of the price-- next thing in the morning!

Miyeon wasn’t sure if Minnie was crazy or incredibly insensitive, a complete contrast to Minnie’s sulky and fragile feelings. But they eventually met in the middle and concluded that regardless of whether Miyeon felt insecure about Minnie’s overwhelming fortune, the girl was just incredibly thoughtful. Miyeon could certainly attest to that with Minnie’s parental behavior toward Yuqi and Shuhua. As for Minnie, she promised to be more sensitive and extra careful around Miyeon and would do her best to finally pay attention to her, well, purchases. Whatever pleases Miyeon, Minnie would willingly do in a heartbeat.

So to reconcile with their whole ordeal, Minnie, as one would never really expect, slowly but surely changed her ways and started to get more intricate with her gifts to Miyeon. It began with random notes reminding Miyeon to eat or cheer her up, to artsy-crafty --regardless of the expensive materials used-- hand-made ornaments, and then to, well, random, but undoubtedly effortful surprises such as organizing a mini gathering of their group in their favorite cafe-- Minnie’s treat, of course!

It went on like that until college; Minnie would always make an effort to lighten up Miyeon’s mood. Though there were still the little, expensive trinkets, which Minnie would purposely leave in Miyeon’s bag secretly so she couldn’t refuse, together with a note that says ‘this sunflower keychain made me think about you and your bright smiles!’ or ‘this looks cute like you!’ Miyeon could never really complain about how the Thai made her heart flutter with happiness. They were just friends at that time, and Miyeon always wondered if this felt like having a real friend? Because she swore, a friend doesn’t normally make your heart skip beats!

So, here they are, with two kisses exchanged between them already, and a confession previously proclaimed; Minnie handing her another of her gifts composed of a bouquet and a teddy bear.

“What’s this for?” Miyeon asked hesitantly.

“You’ll see.”

And with that, Soojin and Soyeon suddenly popped out of nowhere, holding a banner that says, ‘Will you be my girlfriend, Miyeon?’ and Minnie promptly clearing before the maknaes went beside her; Yuqi with a guitar and Shuhua with her, well, hands, clapping --trying--  to match the beat.

“W- what a-are you doing?” Miyeon stuttered, embarrassed by the growing crowd that eventually surrounded them.

Minnie paid no attention and reached out to both of Miyeon’s hand, lightly giving it a squeeze while gazing directly into her eyes to assure that eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter