Second Chapter

Getaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TRIGGER WARNING: 

Mentions of drugs, cigarettes, violence, and slight mental health. Please proceed with caution, and be reminded that this story is just fiction. 

_____________________________________________________

 

Sophomore year.

The year where Minnie’s life turned upside down. From being the popular, rich kid who does exciting things more often than anybody’s parents would love to know, to being the rebel everyone despises because of how easily the Thai could slip her way through punishments by bribery, leaving people she was caught with to suffer heavier penalties for her. They began to spite her ways, her cocky attitude, and just the fact that she’s unfair in how she treats everyone. Everyone, except, of course, Miyeon.   

Despite telling Miyeon during their freshman year that they’re friends, Minnie rarely spends her time with the Korean at all. Only when she was bored, or when she needed alone time or peace of mind she’ll think of going to Miyeon. The Korean barely spoke. If anything, she would remain silent the whole time Minnie was with her unless she had to say something, or when Minnie asks her questions whenever she tried to spike up a conversation. It was never awkward for Minnie, though, and she appreciates how Miyeon would just stay quiet despite being aware of her nasty reputation circling the campus.

At times, Minnie would spend the whole day with Miyeon, glaring at every student who dared stare at them while she’d beam a smile to the Korean, who would instantly be shrunk and clung beside her. The students might’ve already built incredulous theories about them, but she didn’t really care about it. Besides, the two of them were rarely seen together anyway. Well, that was because they’re either eating at the rooftop during lunch instead of the cafeteria or hanging out at the believed cursed garden in the backyard of the campus after classes. Miyeon told her that it was her safe space away from the crowd, and Minnie loved the place immediately. Not because it gave them privacy, well that too, but more so because she gets to enjoy being herself, and seeing Miyeon relaxed than tensed unlike in their shared classes. Miyeon was simply a beautiful wallflower that’s often ignored by everyone.

It was during Mid-terms in their sophomore year when Minnie often got into serious fights, usually going to classes with disheveled hair, a few bruises on her bandaged hands or legs, and cuts on her lips. That was also when she began to spend most of her time with Miyeon than looking for something that would excite her. Miyeon never asked her about it, or the way she often reeks of alcohol, or how high she sometimes behaves. The Korean would only smile and took care of her, feeding her at times when Minnie’s hand was unable to grip her spoon, or when the wounds on her legs sting. This annoyed Minnie more than anything, especially seeing that genuine smile of the girl. But that was only because she never knew how to accept this kind of caring gestures from anyone. She always stood by herself, alone, and independent.

Sometimes, though, she even thought of dragging Miyeon into her lifestyle because she hated how innocent Miyeon was, a total opposite of her. She’d ask Miyeon to cut classes and join her, but the Korean would always deliberately refused, telling Minnie that her scholarship would be at stake, and her family doesn’t have the finances to support such a luxurious high school, forcing Minnie to sit through the boring classes, while she occasionally bothered Miyeon. How she even chose to stay beside her than cut classes alone would forever be a mystery. But somehow, she knew deep inside that she does have a soft spot for the girl.

“Miyeon ah,” Minnie called, taking a bite of her Spanish bread and hissing at the pain from the cut on her lips. They’re currently at the rooftop eating lunch while also enjoying the cool breeze of spring. “Are you not going to ask… about these?” She pointed at her bandaged hands. She just previously got into some nasty fist-fight during one of her underground drug negotiations “Or even the rumors that were spreading about me?”

She was supposed to be absent this day and rest in her house, but she decided to just go to class instead since her house felt empty anyway. Just in time for the lunch break, she quickly sprinted her way to the rooftop in hopes to meet Miyeon. She couldn’t think of anything else to do at this moment, and she wanted some peace of mind. Who or what else could bring her that except the comforting presence of the girl?

“Does it matter?” Miyeon said, wiping some margarine off of Minnie’s lips, careful to not touch the fresh cut on it. “You’d tell me if you’re comfortable telling me. You’d tell me when you trust me. I don’t mind not knowing either way. I’m happy spending time with you.”

“Yo- you do?” Minnie stuttered, feeling warm on her cheeks. “I mean, you’re happy? Being with me?”

Miyeon furrowed her brows. “Why wouldn’t I? You haven’t done anything wrong to me. And you’re fun. I honestly don’t get why you’re spending time with me instead. I’m boring.” She pouted.

For the first time, Minnie felt time stopped for a few seconds there, and her breath suddenly caught up somewhere in , that she softly released a sigh when she got her senses back. Miyeon looked ing cute in that pout! And it wasn’t even the first time where she witnessed Miyeon do it, but hell that expression certainly went straight to her heart this time.

‘What the , Minnie! Get yourself together!’

She cleared and shook her head, “You’re not boring, Miyeon ah. Your presence is comforting.” She blurted out.

That seemed to surprise Miyeon because she was staring at Minnie for a few seconds now, and Minnie was already smacking herself internally for slipping that out. However, Miyeon eventually smiled lovingly at her, touched by Minnie’s words, though quite unexpected.

“That’s… nice to know.” She muttered shyly. “Thank you.”

And Minnie could only nod this time, a soft blush tainting her cheeks, and a shy smile plastered on her face. A complete contrast to the fierce, rebellious Minnie that everyone knows.

 

 

Minnie stood nervously at the front door. Soojin told her that Yuqi and Soyeon moved in together a few months back, and recently bought this new apartment for themselves.

She walked Soojin back to her apartment yesterday, meeting Shuhua right at the front door of Soojin’s place, scowling at her and pulling Soojin immediately away from her. Minnie only smiled apologetically before Soojin sighed. The two eventually went inside, but not without Shuhua giving one last glare at Minnie, before shutting the door in her face. Minnie could only sigh. She tried holding back the tears that threatened to spill that moment. Soojin mentioned to her how Shuhua was also heartbroken when she left, the Taiwanese being fond of her and seeing her as one of her closest sisters. Shuhua believed in Minnie at that time, and she felt extremely betrayed when Minnie just… left. Without a single word.

Now here she stood to face another of her closest colleagues, and her heart began thumping loud when she heard loud footsteps nearing the door. She held her breath for a second, and her eyes widened when the door suddenly flung open, revealing a curly brunette carrying a box.

“Yuqi! Careful with the box! That contains gla—“Before Soyeon could even finish her sentence, she heard a loud thud and shattering of glass, causing her to immediately sprint downstairs to look for Yuqi. When she spotted her standing at the entrance, she quickly sighed and walked towards her.

“I told you to be careful, babe! Why are you just—Minnie!?” Soyeon yell

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter