Chapter 1/1

My Treat

     Seungcheol walked past the gate and entered the park.  Sketchbook in hand, he walks around until he sits down on a bench.  He sees a fountain, some other benches, birds, plants, and people.  He sighed and started lazily on the fountain.  He grumbled a bit when someone suddenly sat down at the fountain, making him have to erase that portion he's drawn so far.
 

 

He looked at the person who sat down.  His hair was black and went to his sides when the wind would let it.  His bangs are parted, cutely touching the top point of his cheeks at the end of the breeze.  He then realized he was starting to draw the boy. 


 

He made the facial expression the boy was making: closed eyes with a smile.  As if he was listening to the song of the birds and fountain, he was slowly rocking back and forth.  Seungcheol took out his pencils and started brushing black on the boy's hair before filling in his fair skin that turned tanned with the absence of the sun.
 

 

He then colored in the boy's cream-colored sweater, making it fuzzy like the boy has.  He looked at the male who was less than twelve feet away.  He was satisfied with the drawing.  And he feels relaxed: the whole reason he came to the park.  My skills came back.  He smiled proudly.
 

 

He felt weird keeping the picture, however.  He stood up and walked to the drawn male.  "Excuse me,"  He started, gaining the boy's attention.
 

 

The boy opens his eyes as if he just woke up.  "Hm?"  He rubbed his eye and took out an earbud that was hidden from Seungcheol's point of view.  "May I help you?"  His voice was as soft as his sweater.

 

"I-I'm an artist,"  Seungcheol started with a nervous smile, "and I was going to draw the fountain, but I drew you instead."  He said.
 

 

The boy raised his eyebrows.  "Really?  Can I see it?"  He asked.


 

"Of course,"  Seungcheol took the paper he tore out of the sketchbook, "I was going to give it to you.  I never asked to draw you, so I felt bad."  He handed the paper to the boy.

 

The boy smiled while seeing it.  "Wow..  you're really good."  He looked up at Seungcheol.  "Could you sign it for me?"  He asked.


 

"Sign it?"  Seungcheol was shocked.

 

The boy chuckled with a nod.  "You said you're an artist.  I'd like to have my fanart signed by the artist."  He said, handing the paper back to him.


 

"Oh.. sure."  Seungcheol sat down beside the boy.


 

He looked over Seungcheol's shoulder while watching him sign it.  "Here you go."  He handed the paper back once more.
 

 

The boy smiled and bowed.  "Continue drawing.. S.Coups."  He said, looking at the signature before the man.
 

 

Seungcheol bowed and walked further into the park.  "Now for some birds.."



 

***

 

Seungcheol entered the studio and saw his coworker at his desk.  The darker had a surprised expression.  "Cheol!"  He stood up.  "It's been a week, are you okay?"  He asked.
 

 

"I'm fine, Wonwoo."  He said, putting his coat on the rack and his bag on his chair.  "I did what you suggested.  I went out to the park to relax and just sketch what I wanted to."  He smiled.
 

 

Wonwoo smiled and walked up to Seungcheol's desk.  "So, what did you draw?"  He asked, watching Seungcheol take out his sketchbook followed by his pencils.
 

 

"This and that.."  He handed the sketchbook to Wonwoo.
 

 

Wonwoo sat back at his desk and opened the book.  "My favorite pianist came out with a new album today.  Can I listen to it while looking through?"  He asked.


 

Seungcheol smiled and nodded.  "Of course, his music helps me draw too."  He said, logging into his computer.


 

Wonwoo searched online for the album and saw something different.  "Hey,"  He sat up straight, "he's got an album picture.  Usually he just posts."  He stated.  "S.Coups.. you drew Jeonghan an album cover?"


 

Seungcheol looked up from his emails and over at Wonwoo.  "I did..?"  He walked to Wonwoo's computer and saw his drawing.  "Well what do you know.."  He muttered.
 

 

Wonwoo smiled in delight.  "That's incredible!  You even put a little credit for our studio.  Expect business to be booming, Hyung."  He nudged Seungcheol with his elbow.
 

 

"Woah.."  Seungcheol sat down once more.


 

It had been three days after he met the boy in the park, and now he's meeting him again in the form of music.  Wonwoo plays the album, and Seungcheol hears every note struck by Jeonghan.  Maybe he was listening to this while I was drawing him.  He thought as he started on the next project.


 

He simply drew a glass of peach juice and submitted the digital image to the requester.  Wonwoo was also working, slowly digitizing Seungcheol's sketches and posting them online.  Some of the better ones went for some money while the small birds went for free.
 

 

Capture Studio worked for commissions and local art galleries.  They weren't a big studio, just like Jeonghan wasn't a big pianist.  Locals and friends knew about their work, but it wasn't as popular as Woozi, the greatest musical artist in South Korea.


 

However, this next afternoon that the two were listening to the pianist, they had an unexpected guest knocking at the door.  Seungcheol stood up and opened the door to see Wonwoo's idol.
 

 

"Hello,"  Jeonghan bowed, "I hope I'm not intruding."  He stepped into the one-room studio.
 

 

Seungcheol could see Wonwoo's fanboy daring to come out.  However, the male stood still maturely.  "No, please come in."  He closed the door behind Jeonghan.
 

 

Jeonghan looked around at the drawings on the walls.  He then noticed his music in the background.  "Soft Summer, such an older song."  He commented.

 

Wonwoo was quick to pause the music.  He breathed in and out inaudibly.  "Mr. Yoon, it's an honor to meet you."  He bowed.  "I'm a big fan."
 

 

Jeonghan nodded and smiled.  "And your name would be..?"
 

 

"Wonwoo."  He said quickly.


 

Seungcheol laughed and pulled up a chair for Jeonghan to sit in.  "What can we do for you, Mr. Yoon?"  He asked.
 

 

"Please, just call me Jeonghan."  He put his hand up.  "I was really happy seeing your drawing of me.  It almost made me feel like I was as beautiful as my music."  He said, sitting down on the chair.


 

Seungcheol raised an interested eyebrow.  "I suppose you don't look into the mirror often?"  He commented.


 

Jeonghan blushed a bit.  "Well.."  He scratched his knees while letting his eye wander around.  "Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be willing to work for me for a little while, S..Seungcheol."  He read the name on the man's desk.


 

"Oh, sure, what do you have in mind?"  Seungcheol asked.


 

Wonwoo watched Jeonghan's nervous hands come together.  "I'd like it if you were to make covers for my other albums too."  Jeonghan said.  "I never thought of making covers, but I think that the fans would like it and..  I don't know.."  He had a shaky breath.


 

Seungcheol reached to those clasped hands.  "Don't worry, I'd love to help."  He smiled.
 

 

Seungcheol noticed only one of the younger's eyes looking into his.  He was about to comment on it, but the other smiled softly.  "Thank you..  Please listen to the albums and tell me how you think the covers should look like."  He reached for his bag.


 

Wonwoo saw all of the CD cases right there on Seungcheol's desk.  "And once we're done with them, Wonwoo can have these."  Jeonghan said, looking at the male who was studying them.
 

 

Seungcheol could practically see the fireworks coming from Wonwoo's heart.  "I'll have to give my requests to Wonwoo while working on your albums."  Seungcheol said.  "Could I have your phone number?  I'm thinking about scenic places to draw you in, and I'd like to be able to contact you when I find the best place."  He asked, handing a piece of paper to Jeonghan.


 

The boy leaned over the table and took one of the pens there.  He wrote the digits and also his address.  "I can't drive, so you'll have to pick me up to go to places."  Jeonghan stated.  "Thank you so much, Seungcheol."  He stood up and bowed.
 

 

"No, thank you."  He guided the boy out of the studio.  "You've really made Wonwoo happy."


 

Jeonghan chuckled.  "And what about you?  Did I make you happy too?"  He asked out of curiosity.
 

 

Seungcheol hummed and looked at the sidewalk.  "I was in a slump for a few days.  A few days to an artist on commission could mean the end of a career."  He said seriously.  "But after drawing you, I got my skills back."  He said.


 

Jeonghan smiled.  "So don't rush drawing for me,"  Jeonghan held his shoulder, "when you get into the slump again, because let's be honest, even I have a creative slump, listen to my music.  And then come up with what you want to draw, pick me up, and we'll go there."  He assured.


 

Seungcheol smiled back and nodded.  "Do you need a ride back home?"  He asked.


 

"No, I have some grocery shopping to do."  Jeonghan replied.  "Be good."  He poked Seungcheol's stomach before walking away.


 

Seungcheol then went back into the studio and caught Wonwoo checking out the CD cases on his desk.  "I.. they were about to fall."  Wonwoo lied.


 

He chuckled and shook his head.  "Let's get to work."  He instructed.


 

Although it pained Wonwoo, he obeyed the older and went back to drawing on his tablet.



 

***



 

Seungcheol tapped on his tablet screen, holding his cheek.  He looked across the way to see Wonwoo reading a program manual.  He sat back in his chair and silently sighed.
 

 

"Hey, Wonwoo,"  He got the man's attention, "put on the first album."  He picked up a CD case from his drawer.

 

Wonwoo put his bookmark in the book and put the book down.  He took the case and put the CD in the stereo on the wall.  He let the piano sounds fill the air as he sat back down.
 

 

Seungcheol closed his eyes, Winter dreams,  He titled the album.  He heard little notes being played along with the bolder notes.  He imagined a bench at night with Jeonghan wearing a thick sweater and drinking a cup of coffee.  He snapped out of the daze and typed into his computer.


 

Wonwoo nonchalantly looked up from his book to see Seungcheol looking at parks by a river.  He smiled as he went back to his book, feeling the same vision Seungcheol had.
 

 

Seungcheol looked around for the piece of paper with Jeonghan's number on it.  He remembered that he put it in his small safe last month.  He plugged in the number to his phone and started typing.
 

 

The album was finished with a few more minutes as Seungcheol had that vision for most of it.  He stood up and turned his computer off.  "I'm going to go pick Jeonghan up,"  He said, "I only have one request for me today, and I sent it to you."  He mentioned.
 

 

Wonwoo put his book down and logged into his email quickly.  "Have fun."  Wonwoo teased as he watched Seungcheol pack his bag.
 

 

Seungcheol put his sketchbook in followed by his pencils, pastels, and charcoal.  He then left the studio and got into his car.  He plugged the pianist's address into his phone and started on his way.  Making it to his home within twenty minutes.


 

The November air was relatively cold this evening, making Jeonghan wear a thicker sweater.  Seungcheol found it perfect as he walked the boy to his car.


 

"It's been awhile.. I thought you might have forgotten about me."  Jeonghan said, putting his hands together as he watched the road.


 

"Kinda hard when Wonwoo plays your music often."  Seungcheol chuckled. 


 

Jeonghan hummed.  "I live alone.. So I wouldn't mind if you texted me outside of work too."  He said, looking down at his hands.


 

Seungcheol didn't know what to say to that.  He lives alone too, but he sees Wonwoo every day.  He looked at the boy with concern for a moment.  "I figured you'd be busy..  Performing or recording."


 

Jeonghan shrugged.  "I don't perform live,"  He said, "and I only record when I get inspiration.  Other than that, all I do is sit at home all day."  He said, playing with his fingernails.


 

Everywhere he turned, Seungcheol felt like things were getting awkward.  He inwardly sighed as he saw the entrance to the park.  He parked the vehicle and stepped out.  He went to the back to get his bag out and then walked around to see Jeonghan coming out. 

 

"This way,"  Seungcheol pointed.
 

 

Jeonghan obeyed silently as they walked past a line of trees.  He smelled food and coffee in the distance and smiled.  "It reminds me of that night,"  He commented, "when I walked alone with a cup of coffee."  He whispered.
 

 

Seungcheol put his arms around the boy's shoulder.  "Let's get some coffee first then."  He suggested, walking them down a path.


 

Seungcheol buys them a cup of coffee each with a little snack.  He then walks Jeonghan to a specific bench he saw in his vision.  "Right here,"  He pointed, "close your eyes and hold your coffee.  Drink when you want to, of course."  Seungcheol instructed with a soft smile.
 

 

Jeonghan smiled back and nodded.  "Thank you."  He closed his eyes and let the coffee's steam reach his face. 


 

Meanwhile, Seungcheol sits down and puts a portable lamp behind him.  He starts drawing Jeonghan's face first.  The soft facial features came together perfectly in his art style.  He then draws down to the cup of coffee, after that, it fades out.  The bench comes next as well as the trees behind Jeonghan.
 

 

He takes out his black pencil and draws in the eyebrows and eyelashes.  He takes his blending tool to put Jeonghan's hair and skin together softly.  Lastly, he colors in the bench.  The cedar bench had little designs inside the border that Seungcheol couldn't leave out.
 

 

He smiled as he looked at his art overall.  "It's done."  He said.
 

 

Jeonghan opened his eyes as if he'd just woken up.  He rubbed one eye at a time, putting more caution in his left eye.  "I can't wait to see it."  He stood up and sat with Seungcheol.
 

 

He looked over Seungcheol's shoulder and smiled.  "Wow.."  He touched his hair as he looked at it in the drawing.  "You make me look dreamy."  He teased.
 

 

"Well you are,"  Seungcheol said honestly.


 

Jeonghan looked at him, his small smile was still there as their faces were mere centimeters away.  Seungcheol looked at his eyes for a moment before taking a split second to look at Jeonghan's lips.  "I hope I'll be able to make the next one well too,"  Seungcheol said, closing his sketchbook.


 

Jeonghan gives the other some space and lifts the coffee.  He drank the rest that was in the cup and threw the cup away when Seungcheol threw his cup away.
 

 

The ride back to Jeonghan's house was as quiet as the night.  Jeonghan watched the car go off and closed the door to his lonely house. 


 

He sighed and looked into the mirror.  "I'm not that dreamy.."  He said, holding his face and looking down.



 

***


 

Seungcheol found himself making covers for Jeonghan's albums left and right.  The boy was always on board to go out whenever and wherever.  However, Seungcheol was surprised when he got a text.
 

 

Wonwoo looked up from his sketchbook.  "Who's that?"  He asked, knowing that they never chat to anyone during work hours.


 

"I don't know."  Seungcheol said, reaching into his pocket and taking out his phone.  "Oh, it's Jeonghan."  He sat up straight. 


 

Wonwoo folded his arms with a small huff.  "You two go out almost every week.  I'm starting to get a little jealous, you know."  He smirked as he looked at the calendar.
 

 

The weather is still fairly cold as it turns to February.  Seungcheol shrugged it off.  "It's been business, but today he is asking if we could just go out to walk around."  He said.


 

Wonwoo raised a perplexed eyebrow.  "Oh?  Like on a date?"  He asked.


 

Seungcheol grew red cheeks for the first time.  "Ayy,"  Seungcheol pointed at Wonwoo, "friends go out and walk around."  He defended himself.


 

"Friends go out together after work and drink.  Lovers go out during the middle of the day and walk around together."  Wonwoo stated.  "So?  You two dating secretly or something?"  Wonwoo teased.


 

Seungcheol stuffed his phone back in his pocket.  "No!  I-well- I might like him.."  He scratched his neck.  "But!  It stays a friend like!"  He said, backing up out of the studio.


 

Wonwoo chuckled at the older's broken sentences.  "I best hear that the new album is lovely and not depressing!"  He said loud enough for Seungcheol to hear outside the building.


 

Seungcheol grumbled as he sat down in his car.  "What does he know..?"  He pouted. 


 

After a moment, he sighed and let his strong stance go.  "But how do I tell him I like him?"  He held the steering wheel.  He shook his head and shifted the gear to reverse to back out of his parking space.
 

 

He then made his way to Jeonghan's home.  Right once he got into the driveway of the small house, the front door opened.  Jeonghan came out in a scarf and smiled when he saw Seungcheol.


 

The said make stepped out of his car to meet the boy at the doorstep.  "Where would you like to go, Jeonghan?" He asked.
 

 

"You weren't too busy, right?"  He asked.

 

"No, I only had a few things to do."  Seungcheol replied honestly.  "Besides, I can always make time for you, Jeonghan."  He said with a smile.
 

 

Jeonghan blushed and rubbed the toe of his shoe against the sidewalk.  "I'd like to walk around the neighborhood a little.  I haven't really done much walking this week."  He said, linking their arms.


 

Seungcheol didn't comment or try pushing him away; instead, he pulled Jeonghan closer and started walking them on the sidewalk. 


 

"I made some things too, so if you'd like, we can have dinner together."  Jeonghan stated.


 

Seungcheol's stomach starts growling the moment the other mentioned food.  He blushed as Jeonghan giggled.  "I'll take that as a yes then."  Jeonghan said, looking at the snow on peoples' lawns.



 

The afternoon became evening by the time they get back to Jeonghan's house.  The walk was relatively silent, but Seungcheol couldn't complain.  He sat down at the small table in the small kitchen.


 

Jeonghan put the pots on the table before two small bowls.  He stirred the soup and took the rice from the rice cooker.  "I hope it tastes good."  Jeonghan sat down across from the other.

 

"I'm sure it will."  Seungcheol rubbed his hands together from the cold weather outside.
 

 

He put his hands over the pot and smiled at the warmth.  "This is nice.."  He sighed.
 

 

Jeonghan laughed and picked up his chopsticks.  "Dig in when you're ready."  He said before reaching for some beef.


 

They ate quietly too.  Seungcheol paused for a moment when Jeonghan's left eye got bigger.  However, the younger blinked and the size returned to normal.  He was about to comment, however his attention went to Seungcheol's glass Jeonghan accidentally knocked over.


 

"Oh no.."  Jeonghan stood up with an upset glare.

 

"It's fine,"  Seungcheol said, "we'll clean it up." 


 

Seungcheol picked up a couple napkins and sopped up the water that spilled.  "Don't worry over it."  He noticed the other's trembling lips.
 

 

"I'm sorry."  He sat back down.
 

 

"It's fine, really."  Seungcheol put some beef on Jeonghan's rice.  "Continue eating."  He insisted.


 

Jeonghan felt around for the chopsticks and picked them up.  He then felt for his bowl and blinked at it.  The beef fell off of the pile of rice.
 

 

"Is everything okay?"  Seungcheol asked.
 

 

"I'm not hungry anymore."  Jeonghan stood up and looked around.  "I want to play the piano for you now."  He said.


 

Seungcheol raised an eyebrow.  "You don't do live performances, you said."  He followed Jeonghan out of the kitchen.


 

"I usually don't, but I'm working on my next album."  Jeonghan said, nonchalantly feeling the wall.  "I wanted to get an album picture before posting it this time.  Could you spend a few more minutes to listen to the title track?"  He asked.


 

Seungcheol nodded.  "Sure, I wouldn't mind."  He watched Jeonghan sit down on his piano bench.
 

 

Jeonghan felt the keys and nodded, closing his eyes.  He started the song.  It was a soft beginning that made Seungcheol smile.  It turned deeper in a romantic way.


 

He watched Jeonghan strike the keys in perfection, putting the right amount of pressure on each key with passion.  He saw Jeonghan's cheeks turn a light shade of pink when getting to a light point. 


 

Seungcheol looked at a book on the couch.  He picked up the book silently, seeing that it's Jeonghan's lyrics.  He opened it silently and went to the title track of this album.  He read the lyrics along with his playing.
 

 

You draw my heart so well I can feel it beat, with you next to me, give me a kiss as a treat~  Seungcheol looked up at Jeonghan's smiling lips as he played.
 

 

Hold me tight in this cold, hold me now and when I'm old.  I can't see your beautiful smile, but I want to be next to you for a while.  Seungcheol frowned.  You tell me I'm beautiful but I can't see it, but judging by your voice, you really mean it.  Hold my heart and feel it beat, give me that kiss, I want my treat.


 

Seungcheol put the book down.  His mind wanders to a gazebo at night.  He sees the beach water having small waves and the lights shining bright on Jeonghan. 


 

He nodded and put his arms around Jeonghan's waist, making the boy stop playing.  "I know what I want to draw,"  Seungcheol whispered, "it'll be a treat."  He said.


 

Jeonghan blushed and nodded.  "Would you like to listen to the other songs too?"  He asked.
 

 

"I would love to."  Seungcheol said, giving a small kiss to Jeonghan's head.
 

 

Jeonghan smiled brighter, hopping from key to key in his next song.  Seungcheol picked the book up and read the lyrics as Jeonghan played.  It's so different having the lyrics to go along with the songs.  Seungcheol commented inwardly.


 

The night ended with Seungcheol staying on the couch and Jeonghan sleeping on the floor, holding Seungcheol's hand that was dangling off of the couch.


 

***


 

The next night, Jeonghan saw the water surrounding the gazebo.  The lights were so bright and the stars were so beautiful.
 

 

"It looks wonderful,"  Jeonghan put his hands together, "where do I stand?"  He asked.
 

 

Seungcheol stood Jeonghan right in the center.  "I want you to stand just like this with your eyes open."  He said.  "This is the image I saw when listening to your playing last night."


 

Jeonghan was nervous at first, but Seungcheol's smile convinced him to nod.  "Okay.  I'll do my best to stand still."  He stood firmly on the floor.


 

Seungcheol stepped back and took his things out.  He was a bit closer this time so that he could capture the other's eyes.  He noticed that the left eye didn't move when Jeonghan's right eye moved. 


 

He drew the eyes, nonetheless.  He then worked down to the nose and lips, making those lips smile like they are in real life.  The background came naturally.
 

 

He colored in everything and brushed Jeonghan's hair onto his forehead.  He smiled at his work and nodded.  "It's good."  He stood up and walked to the boy, sitting him down on a bench nearby.


 

Jeonghan looked down at his face.  He saw his eyes open on the page and he traced his left eye.  "You drew it just right,"  He smiled sadly, "it's the only thing that doesn't match this picture." 


 

Seungcheol furrowed his eyebrows.  "What do you mean?"  He asked.
 

 

"The atmosphere is so romantic.  The smile I had while thinking of my song, you drew it so perfectly."  He said.  "But the only problem is this."  He pointed at the eye in the drawing.


 

"It's emotionless,"  Jeonghan stated, "I'm in love and all this does is give me trouble."


 

Seungcheol took the drawing back and closed the book.  "What do you mean?  Don't be rude to your eye."  He chuckled.
 

 

"Seungcheol,"  Jeonghan looked at the man, "I never really wanted my fans to see my face, especially not my eyes..  But the way you drew me with my eyes closed gave me confidence.
 

 

"That I didn't need my eyes to play."  Jeonghan said.  "And maybe I don't, I didn't use it last night to play."  He commented.


 

"Seriously?!"  Seungcheol asked.
 

 

Jeonghan chuckled.  "At the table, my eye started getting blurry when my glass eye was about to pop out."  He said.  "Remember when I spilled your water?  I was blind then.  My eyesight is getting worse every month."  He laughed pathetically.


 

Seungcheol pieced it together.  "No wonder you can't drive and you feel things while walking around.  I never knew.."  He muttered.
 

 

"I've never told anyone.  Just like I've never performed for anyone live."  Jeonghan said.  "But I figured.. I wanted my songs to be listened to the one I made them for first."  He blushed.
 

 

"Jeonghan.."  Seungcheol whispered.


 

Jeonghan put his hand up.  "I wanted to tell you about this after,"  He pointed to his eye, "I didn't want you to date me out of pity or treat me nicely because you think I can't handle myself.  You made me feel like a normal person, Seungcheol.  I can understand if you don't like me like that though.. especially now."


 

Seungcheol held the boy's cold hands.  "I don't believe in dating out of pity."  He said honestly  "And really, I've been wanting to say that I've fallen in love with you too.  Every time I draw you, we have a new experience together.

 

"It almost feels like a date."  He blushed.


 

Jeonghan blushed too, looking Seungcheol's way.  "I can't see you,"  He said, reaching out until Seungcheol took his hand again.
 

 

"Just know I'm smiling, Jeonghan."  He assured.  "Can I kiss you?"  He asked.
 

 

"I'd like that.."  He whispered


 

Seungcheol cupped the boy's cheek, closing his eyes.  He blindly went in for a kiss.  Jeonghan breathed a relaxed sigh as he held Seungcheol's hand on his cheek.
 

 

"Was the treat as sweet as you imagined, Jeonghan?"  Seungcheol asked as he slowly pulled away.
 

 

"Even sweeter.."  Jeonghan smiled.

 

 

 

 

 


Sengcheol proved to Jeonghan that love goes beyong sight: visual beauty and the sense itself.
Hopefully this story warmed you up in this cold.

<3