Chapter 3

It Was You All Along

 

     "Okay, so are you guys clear with the tasks for this project?" Irene asks her groupmates for the assignment and she wants to make sure that everyone has equal parts in contributing to the assignment. She was yet again assigned to be the group leader so she wants to perform well and achieve high with her groupmates. Irene follows in nodding her head when her groupmates all nod their head to her question. 

     "I'll need a report on your progress by the end of this week so please let me know if you encounter any problems. I'll try my best to help." Irene warmly smiles to her groupmates as to not sound like a demanding group leader. Her groupmates are satisfied with the way Irene treats them and they all smile when Irene says a thing so reassuring. 

     The quiet and awkward atmosphere in the lecture hall is then interrupted by a loud thud on the door. Irene jumps on her seat because she is sensitive to loud sounds and she swears that whoever that person banging the door is going to get a good shouting from her but her raging anger turns soft when she sees that it's Seulgi. Her voice that was prepared to shout now turns to a squeal as she calls out to Seulgi. 

     "Seulgi?"

     Seulgi, not knowing that Irene was just about to shout at her for banging the door so loud, flashes her signature bright smile and walks up to where Irene is. 

     "I've been waiting outside for 10 minutes. I thought we were going out for lunch." Seulgi says obliviously, not noticing there are about 5 pairs of eyes staring at her for disturbing their group meeting. Seulgi's eyes are only Irene. 

     "Oh," Irene scratches her nape and looks at her wristwatch, "sorry, I forgot to tell you that we have an assignment to discuss. But we're done now though, give us a few more minutes." 

     Only then Seulgi realizes the interruption that she has done, and again with her brightest smile she apologizes to Irene's groupmates. "Oh, sorry guys." 

     "I'll be outside." Seulgi says to Irene as she taps on Irene's shoulder then she walks back out the lecture hall. 

     "So," Irene gets back her groupmates' attention by clapping her hands, "we dismiss our meeting now?" 

     With a few 'okay' and 'sure' from them, Irene quickly shoves her things inside her bag as she does not want Seulgi to wait for too long. Her groupmates are leaving one by one, saying their goodbyes to her when Yeri, the cute girl she recently got close with in class comes to her. Irene was actually prepared to say 'bye' to her, but Yeri talks about something else instead. 

     "Who was that just now?"

     Irene stops from putting her book in her bag as she looks at Yeri. "Hmm?"

     "You know, the one that came in just now? The girl you talked to?"

     "Oh." Irene suddenly feels like her insides are shaking like it has gotten weak. But Irene is actually not surprised that someone would actually ask her about Seulgi, because who wouldn't when Seulgi looks so friendly, so approachable and cute...? Anyone would want to be friends with Seulgi with how warm she looks. 

     "That was Seulgi." Irene answers Yeri after being silent for a good few seconds. She actually feels like she doesn't want to tell Yeri more than just her name. That should be enough to answer Yeri's question, right? 

     "Do you perhaps know," Yeri asks again, clearing before continuing, "if she's seeing someone?"

     Irene is not going to admit it but why does the question irk her a little? It shouldn't bother her so much if Yeri wants to know. Irene throws her book that she was holding a little too harsh that Yeri jumps a little at the loud thud it made upon impact on the table. Yeri backs away a little, why does Irene look like she's annoyed with her? 

     "Well, I don't know?" Irene says afterwards while zipping her bag. 

     "You're her friend and you don't know?" Guess Yeri doesn't really care if Irene really gets mad at this point. 

     "You know," Irene slings her bag over her arm and starts to walk down the steps, "you can just ask her if you want to know. She's just outside, right?" 

     "Irene," Yeri catching up to Irene's steps, she feels like she has ticked a bomb in Irene. Irene stops and turns back to look at Yeri and Yeri just locks her arm with hers, she really can't stay mad at this kid for long even if she wants to. Yeri continues to ask while pushing forward to continue walking, "do you like her?" 

     Yeri can feel Irene glaring at her while trying to stop walking to focus glaring., but Yeri with more power in her forces them to walk by their linked arms. She knows Irene is going to dismiss what she asked by saying 'no', because that's exactly how Irene is looking to her right now, in denial. 

     "No, I don't." 

     Bingo. Yeri cheers a little in her mind, she knows she's damn right. 

     "We're just friends." Irene continues to say when she can see the slight smirk on Yeri's face. 

     "Alright, alright. I'm sorry. I will ask her myself out there, okay?" 

     "Sure." 

     Irene pushes the door and she sees Seulgi right by the side waiting for her. She smiles a little at the sight of Seulgi frowning at whatever she is looking at on her phone right now. She just loves how Seulgi is always patiently waiting for her, no matter how long she takes. Irene clears to get her attention and Seulgi needed not more than a second to turn off her phone to walk up to Irene. 

     Seulgi notices Yeri beside Irene and being the friendly girl that she is, she greets Yeri and even initiates small talks with her. Typical Seulgi, she just loves to make friends with anyone she sees. Irene at the side watches over as they get to know each other and exchange conversations, Yeri even got Seulgi to exchange phone numbers with her. They parted ways soon after because Seulgi's stomach was growling indicating she needs her lunch now. 

     Yeri stays at where she was to look at Irene and Seulgi's figures becoming smaller as they walk further away. She chuckles at her own thought thinking she might have a chance with Seulgi, but looking at how Seulgi stares lovingly at Irene, smiles at whatever Irene was saying, and how she just looks the most expressive while talking to Irene like she has the most interesting story to share, she knows there was not even a slight hope for her to win Seulgi over. 

     And Yeri laughs when she sees Irene, because how does Irene deny so hard that she doesn't have feelings for Seulgi when anyone who sees would know by just one look? Yeri knows Irene always tries her best in everything she does, but to the extent of trying hard to hide her feelings? She swears she doesn't know anyone who tries harder than Irene does. 

    Irene really thinks that they're just best friends when she is there looking at Seulgi with the same amount of affection Seulgi has for her, talking to Seulgi like they're in a world of their own and laughs animatedly at whatever Seulgi was telling her. Yeri swears she has never seen Irene laugh like that before. 

     Poor Seulgi, Yeri thinks, because she knows Seulgi is not afraid in showing that she loves so she knows the problem will not be on Seulgi but on Irene who is being oblivious by covering up her true feelings. 

     Yeri picks up her steps as she realizes she has been staring at the two lovebirds for too long and made up her mind that she can lose Seulgi as a girlfriend but definitely not losing Irene as a friend. 

     And she pities Seulgi for having to put up with Irene being hard on her feelings, she herself hopes that Irene can finally realize her own feelings soon. 

 

 

Author's note: 

Hi! I didn't mention this in my last update because I was in a rush, but I will do it today. Thank you to you all that subscribed to this story, I really didn't expect this to get even up to 30 subscribers! Thank you so much, really <3 and to those that have left comments, thank you so much as well!!

This chapter is a bit short and sorry if it seems like I focus a lot on Yeri's pov here, because well, something is cooking up. To make up for this short chapter, a fun (short) bonus chapter will be coming up within this week ;) 

Oh, the bonus chapter will be a meeting between WJY. :D 

Stay tuned, see y'all soon!