Frozen Roads

The Jung Family Holiday Stories 2020
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jaejoong switched off the car engine. He dropped his head on the cold leather steering wheel. His chest and throat squeezed tight and heavy; an uneasy feeling twisted in his stomach. He wanted to cry.

But he couldn’t.

He can’t stay out here. The last thing he needed was a cold to add on top of his problems.

He reluctantly shoved the door open, willing his body into the harsh elements of the below freezing weather. He plunged his gloved hangs into his coat pocket and tucked his chin beneath the fur around the hood of his jacket. But it wasn’t enough to keep the sting of winter from nipping his skin. Just my luck.

An abnormal cold front swept over the city a few nights ago, causing everything to freeze over. It was an unusual time for the weather to get this cold this time of year, so the city hadn’t been prepared and as a result, many roads were shut down due to the sharp increase of fatal accidents. And unfortunately for Jaejoong, that meant he couldn’t drive home from university for the holiday break. Even if the roads weren’t closed, his mother would’ve banned him from driving on the ice-covered roads.

It was the day before Thanksgiving, and he had no way of getting home. The buses were closed and some of the trains had also been shut down due to complications. The next open train station was too far of a walk in this kind of weather. He won’t be able to make it home for the holiday at this rate. His eyes stung at the thought. His boots trudged through the ice, not caring about the ice that pricked his toes. The amount of physical pain couldn’t compare to the hurt he felt in his heart. It would be the first time he spent a holiday without his family, and even worse, alone.

He sniffled hard, trying not to let the tears escape his eye. He didn’t want to spend the holiday alone.

His heart weighed heavy the rest of his trek to his campus apartment. He fumbled miserably for his keys when he found a large box placed on the doormat outside is apartment door.

He furrowed his brow. He wasn’t expecting a package, and his roommate had been smart enough to leave before the cold front and didn’t tell him about any package.

However, when he picked it up, he saw that it was addressed to him.

Maybe I did order something and forgot about it.

On that thought, he unlocked the door and entered the semi-warmth of his apartment. He dropped the light box on his desk before turning on the shower. He quickly shrugged off his clothes and hopped into the bath for a much-needed shower.

He stayed as long as he could in the comforting heat of the water before reluctantly succumbing himself to the loneliness of the colder air.

He quickly changed into an oversized sweatshirt, thick thermal leggings, and his favorite fuzzy socks. The 20-year-old also layered himself in a larger hoodie. His mother taught him to be cost efficient, which helped a lot of money in his first two years in university.

He boiled himself a cup of lavender tea in hopes to cure or at least calm his disappointment. He really did hate being alone. It was even worse during the holiday season. He would’ve been fine if his is roommate was still here, he wouldn’t have the constant urge at the pit of his throat urging him to cry. Jaejoong swallowed the sharp emotions back, there was no way he was going to give up now. He just can’t.

He returned to his bedroom with his tea. He quickly skimmed the papers on the wall, plastered above his desk. Over the last two days he accumulated the schedules of all the train and bus schedules in and near his city. Most of them had indefinite schedules due to the weather. Some he’d already crossed out due to technical issues.

A groan escaped his lips.

He never thought he’d see so many stations closed, even if at all. They were always running no matter the weather. But he couldn’t blame them, no one was prepared for the storm that snuck up on them. A lot of the railroads had been frozen over. Only a couple of them were successful in being able to operate safely, but they were the ones that were far from him. The closest one would be a 2-hour walk, if he walked fast.

“Maybe…” Jaejoong devised several different plans before they all became tangled in his mind.

He fell into his seat in defeat a sorrowful wail escaped his lips. “What am I going to do?”

He ran his fingers through his hair. He wanted to bury his face in his desk, but his path was blocked by the imposingly large box in his desk. He frowned, he couldn’t even sulk without some kind of obstacle in his way.

Jaejoong sighed, deciding to check it out since it was already in front of him. He grabbed his scissors and cut the box open. A frown re his lips, there was another box inside (surrounded by some plastic insulation). “What a waste of packaging?” He murmured, removing the pink box.

He tossed the larger box to the side and placed the small rectangular box in the center of his state. He cocked an eyebrow at the decorated baby pink box with a stylized white heart painted in the middle. He definitely didn’t order anything like this.

He carefully pulled off the lid and was surprised by the content inside. In the center was a small package of assorted nuts, dried fruit, a large roll of black-pepper bread, small satin rolls of butter bread, green tea bags, peppermint hot chocolate pouches, white chocolate peanut butter spread wrapped with a magenta ribbon, and a pink bag of heart and snowflake shaped cookies. Surrounding the goodies were packs of face masks, chocolate mints, small candles, and other cute skin care and scented products.

Jaejoong furrowed his brow in deeper confusion. He wasn’t sure whether or not to be touched or concerned. How could this have even reached him. Was there a stalker on campus?

He hesitantly picked up the envelope on top of the food and took out the pink note.

‘To my love. This box should reach your apartment by 12:00pm. I’ll video call you at 12:30pm J

~ Yunho’

Jaejoong reread the note a couple more times before laughing. His boyfriend was truly annoying.

He checked the time to see that it was 12:25pm. His eyes slightly widened.

He hurriedly pulled out his laptop and turned it on.

As soon as his computer started up, his boyfriend’s picture appeared on the screen. Jaejoong immediately answered it, maybe a little too fast.

Jaejoong smile at the sight of the younger’s handsome facial features. He couldn’t help the excited feeling that warmed his inner being.

“You got it?” Yunho’s eyes lit up seeing the familiar box in front of the elder.

“Yes. I thought I had a creepy stalker on campus.” Jaejoong teased, “I was tempted to alert the police.”

The younger scoffed, “It wasn’t creepy.”

Jaejoong only laughed, “What is all this anyway?”

“Well…I heard about the snowstorm in your town. I wasn’t’ sure if you’d be able to make it home. I figured if you didn’t make it home today, you’d be upset, so I had a last-minute care package overnighted to you, to cheer you up. We can have a mini feast together.” Yunho explained. “I got one too!” he enthusiastically pulled out his box, revealing the conte

Please log in to read the full chapter