The Craft Shop

The Jung Family Holiday Stories 2020
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yunho stared at the clock on the register. It read 11:58pm. Two minutes before closing.

How did he end up with the late-night shift?

His coworker had a family emergency, but no one would take his shift. Yunho felt bad and offered to cover for him.

But this wasn’t his first time on the shift. He’s been working midnight shifts for the past month. He worked at a small craft store that sold all sorts of crafts, small trinkets, collectibles, and decorations. It was fall season, so the store was full of fall décor on one half and Halloween on the other side. The store decided to extend its hours from 10 in the morning to midnight of the coming holiday season, and so his managers gladly put him on the late shifts as much as possible.

However, Yunho didn’t blame him, maybe it wasn’t on purpose. His high school soccer season had just started, so his availability left him open for night shifts only. He didn’t mind late shifts. He actually enjoyed the stillness of the nighttime air; it was cleansing for his mind. However, at the same time, he was always exhausted by the end of the night after spending all day at school, followed by a 2-hour soccer practice, then spending a few hours on homework before heading to work.

11:59pm was probably the longest minute of the night.

He stayed at the register for a few more seconds before finishing the rest of his closing routine. He already swept the floor, wiped down the counters, and put away the merchandise before his 5-minute countdown. It really wasn’t busy this time of night, especially after 10:00pm. Only a few people sopped by here and there.

12:00am Yunho turned off the background music.

He pulled out his keys from his back pocket. As soon as he made it to the front door, a light thud hit the glass as if someone had bumped into it.

“Please.” He heard the muffled whisper when he stuck the key into the lock.

He looked up to inform the late customer that they were closed and that they’d reopen tomorrow at 10:00 am, but the words never came out.

His eyes slightly widened at the familiar face directly in front of his.

The boy’s breathing was heavy against the window creating a thin cloud between them. The sharp corner of his eyes rounded as they pleaded him. His shoulder-length hair was blown about from the outside wind from when he ran to the storefront.

Yunho quickly snapped out of it. He opened the door not even remembering at what moment he took out the keys. The slender boy bowed several times thanking him and apologizing before entering the store. Yunho could only nod at the beauty in front of him.

 

He returned behind the counter, watching the young raven search through the shelves of fall décor. His movements were delicate but moved with urgency. He didn’t touch anything he didn’t need, and if he did have to pick something up, he was careful to put it back exactly how it was.

Yunho couldn’t help but pick up on his small subconscious habits. The way his lips barely moved as he thought to himself. Or how his eyes slightly rounded when he was getting close to making a decision. Or the way his fingers twiddled while he looked for something.

“I’m done.” The boy carefully placed his armful of items onto the counter after 30 minutes of shopping.

Yunho grabbed each item and scanned them. He scanned them as slow as possible without looking obvious. He suddenly wasn’t in a rush an

Please log in to read the full chapter