Christmas Eve

The Jung Family Holiday Stories 2020
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Bedtime Kihyun~!” Youngjae called in search of his nephew.

“Wait~!” The 5-year-old quickly grabbed the paper plate of cookies and tall cup of milk.

“Ki-,” Youngjae was cut off by the young kid who ran past him into the living room. He furrowed his brow in confusion. “What are you doing Ki?” He asked watching the child carefully place the plate and cup on the coffee table in the family room. “Is…that for Santa?” He hesitantly asked. He never put the idea of Santa being real in his nephew’s head. He just told him that Santa was a fictional storybook character part of Christmas. It’s not that he was against the idea of Santa, he just never wanted him to go through the heartbreak of learning that Santa isn’t real. It really wasn’t worth it. Kihyun was just as excited as any other kid about Christmas, without ever believing in Ole saint Nick.

“No~. This is for Uncle Daehyun.” Kihyun simply said.

Youngjae scrunched his brow in further confusion. “Daehyun?”

“Yeh. He said every Christmas Eve night he has to eat milk and cookies or else he’ll turn into the Grinch and steal all our presents.” Kihyun explained as if it were obvious.

Youngjae stood there dumbfounded. He snapped out of it when his nephew ran up to him, announcing that he was ready for bed. The 21-year-old shook his head. What is he going to do with his crazy boyfriend?

He took his nephew’s hand and walked him upstairs to their bedroom. He helped him brush his teeth and change into his pajamas.

“Are you not going to bed hyung?” Kihyun asked when Youngjae tucked him in underneath the sheets.

“Not now. I have to go out, but I’ll be back later.” Youngjae promised, pulling the comforter over the small boy. “But Yunho and Jaejoong will be here if you need anything.” He assured, mostly to himself. He was always apprehensive about leaving his nephew whenever he didn’t necessarily have to.

The 5-year-old nodded his head a yawn overcoming his tiny mouth. Youngjae pressed a kiss on the top of his head. “Good Night Ki. See you in the morning.”

Kihyun smiled to himself, snuggling in the bed. “I can’t wait until tomorrow. It’s going to be another big Christmas.” His smile grew as he closed his eyes.

Youngjae smiled as well. Kihyun looked forward to the holidays even more so now that they had a large family to spend it with.

 

 

It wasn’t long before Kihyun fell asleep.

Youngjae the night light and quietly left the room, leaving the door slightly open. He then ran downstairs and quickly slipped on his jacket, gloves, beanie, and shoes. Daehyun was waiting outside for him.

He reached for the front door when a voice startled him.

“Make sure you’re back by 11:00.”

He slowly turned around to find Jaejoong leaning against the stairwell, his arms folded, “Any person that doesn’t respect your time and keeps you out too late is no good.” He winked sharing the advice his mother gave him many years before. “I don’t know about this Daehyun kid, he seems too daring.”

Youngjae gave him a smile. Despite his own age, Jaejoong and Yunho had come to feel like true parents to him over the past year. Even when he was a kid, they treated him like their own. Though now they’re helping him with Kihyun and getting him back on his feet, he knew they were trying to make up for the other things that were neglected for him when he was younger.

“I think he’s alright. He means well.” Youngjae responded.

Jaejoong smiled, “You guys have fun. Don’t worry about Kihyun we have him covered here.”

Youngjae nodded, “Thank you.” With that, he slipped out the door.

 

 

 

Daehyun was already on his motorbike, the engine running. He handed Youngjae his helmet when he approached him.

“You know. You really do look cool on your motorcycle.” Youngjae confessed, sitting down behind him. He wrapped his arms securely around the elder’s torso.

Daehyun grinned widely at the compliment, but quickly cleared his throat to try to play cool. “Thanks.” He shrugged.

Youngjae chuckled, seeing right through the elder.

“Let’s go.” Daehyun kicked the kickstand up and backed out the driveway.

 

Youngjae loved the blow of the wind against this skin. He wished that he could ride without his helmet, to feel the freeing effect of the wind against his body. Maybe not now since it was cold, but sometime during the warmer months.

 

It wasn’t long before they arrived at their destination. Daehyun pulled into the dark parking lot, and shut off the engine.

Youngjae furrowed his brow when he climbed off the bike. He didn’t know where they were originally going. But now that they were here, he had no idea where they were. It felt much darker and ominous than anything else.

He squinted at the tall dark shadows that seemed to take the shapes of rides.

“Where are we?” He asked when Daehyun walked up next to him.

“You’ll see. Come on!” Daehyun beamed, leading the way.

Youngjae shrugged, following the elder.

 

They walked off the pavement into a plain of overgrown dried weeds and grass, with snow slowly rising above their ankles the deeper they walked. Youngjae was even more confused and colder the longer they trudged through the snow but decided not to ask. He figured he’d find out soon…until they stopped at a tall wired fence. It looked old and flimsy as if it would fall at any minute.

Daehyun moved a series of wooden planks revealing a large hole at the bottom of the fence. “You can go first.” Daehyun said, lifting the top of the hole to make the opening bigger. Youngjae blinked dumbfounded, not believing what he was hearing.

He looked at the elder, “Are…Are you serious?”

“Uhh, yeah.” Daehyun shrugged.

Youngjae stared at him in disbelief. He didn’t know what was going on, but he knew that crawling under a fence involved something dangerous or illegal, or both.

“Trust me.” Daehyun assured, knowing what was going through the younger’s head.

Youngjae hesitated. For a moment he considered Jaejoong’s words and wondered if he should take him up on it, but he knew Daehyun. He wasn’t that crazy, nor would he do anything to put them both in danger, not knowingly anyway.

He took a deep breath before finally kneeling onto the cold ground and crawled through the surprisingly large hole. Daehyun followed close behind him.

“My hands are cold.” Youngjae whimpered after putting them through the thick barrier of snow.

“Don’t worry. We can warm them soon. I know where to go.” Daehyun took his hand and excitedly dragged him the rest of the way.

They ran across several more feet of open land before they came across a chain that they easily stepped over.

Youngjae’s eyes widened as the dark shadows from before manifested into large tangible rides. There were several rollercoasters, swings, a Ferris wheel, and sever games and food stands. “Wh-What is this?”

“It’s an old abandoned amusement park!” Daehyun proudly announced, walking further ahead.

Youngjae snapped out of his shock and quickly ran after the elder to catch up to him. “D-Daehyun this…this is insane. This is wrong. We-We can’t be here this…this is trespassing.” Youngjae was on the verge of freaking out when Daehyun stopped in his tracks. He placed his hands on his shoulders and stared him deep in his eyes.

“Johnny knows the owner of the property; he let us in all the time.” He spoke slow and calm.

Youngjae looked at him helplessly. He let out an empty sigh, forcing himself to relax. He had not choice but to trust him. He knows what he’s doing, right?

 

Once he saw that he had calmed down, Daehyun continued walking taking the younger’s hand in his, in an attempt to comfort him. “We used to stop by here during winter break back in High school.” He began. “I never wanted to come, but they forced me every time. And every time it was fun.”

Youngjae slowly nodded recalling the story of how the elder used to hate the Christmas season throughout his teens going into his 20s. He felt bad for him, though somewhat understood. He himself used to dread the season but found himself always somehow having fun and enjoy Christmas festivities. This had been thanks to his grandmother, Kihyun, and a couple of close friends he made along the way, like his manager Jaebeom, who used to come by with his nephew Changkyun to play with Kihyun.

“They’re going to get rid of this stuff at the beginning of the year. We won’t be able to come here anymore. So, I thought I’d bring you here for a final visit.” Daehyun smiled.

Youngjae looked around the once festive stands and rides that were now washed out and covered in snow. He still didn’t understand why the elder felt the need to bring him here, especially in the cold. He had no connection to the place and there wasn’t anything Christmas-y about it aside from the make-shift Christmas décor that the boys tried to put up over the years. But he had to admit, bedsides his constant nerves, the place looked amazing under the thick blankets of snow that tucked the land and frosted the architecture. He couldn’t help but wonder how wondefful it looked all lit up and functioning.

“I have a scenario.” Daehyun stated, snapping the younger out of it.

Youngjae was thrown off seeing the elder standing on the counter to one of the games. “What kind of scenario?”

“What would Youngjae have doen if he was with us?” Daehyun smiled. He slid down a nearby pole and contuined forward, hopping onto the next counter.

Youngjae followed him but remained on the ground. “He wouldn’t have gone with you guys.” He remarked.

“Yes you would’ve. You wouldn’t have missed out on the fun if all of us went.” Daehyun said.

Youngjae though to himself before responding. “You’re right. I would go if Kyungsoo went.”

The elder scoffed at this, but he was right.

“Okay, so what would you do? What would be the first thing you’d do?” Daehyun hopped onto the next stand.

Youngjae thought honestly to himself. He’d never been to an amusement park before, but he knew exactly where he’d want to go first. “I’d ride the merry-go-round.” He answered somewhat excited by the thought.

Daehyun smiled at the cute genuine answer. “What would you do next”? He jumped onto the next platform.

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll ride the roller coaster.” Youngjae shrugged.

“I’d show you all the different food left over.” Daehyun smiled.

Youngjae laughed, but nodded, “You would, and I’d go home with a stomachache.”

 

Daehyun hopped off the last stand and led the way to the carousel that was draped over with a dark navy tarp. They sat at the edge of the ride and admired the winter scene.

“Hey Jae.” Daehyun broke the silence.

Youngjae looked at him and was surprised to find a gold wrapped box in the elder’s hand “Wh-What-,”

“It’s an early Christmas gift.” Daehyun answered before he could ask. “Open it.” He encouraged, placing the box in his hand.

Youngjae stared at it. He wasn’t expecting a gift, he never really expected gifts not even on Christmas or on his birthday.

Daehyun laughed, seeing that he wasn’t going to open it. So, he pulled at the end of the ribbon unraveling the bow, causing the box to fall open in one flowing motion.

Youngjae’s eyes widened at the sight of a small carousel shaped snow globe.

“I remember when we were younger you mentioned how you always wanted to ride a carousel, and I remember you used to keep a mini snow globe collection.” Daehyun recalled seeing his best friend’s small collection of 3 to 4 tiny snow globes in his closet the very few times he visited his home.

Youngjae continued to stare at the enchanting item.

“Check this out.” D

Please log in to read the full chapter