Two of a Kind

The Jung Family Holiday Stories 2020
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Thank you for picking me up.” Youngjae thanked, climbing into the passenger’s seat, though he felt bad for having the elder go out the way to pick him up from work. He would’ve been fine with walking than to inconvenience someone.

“Of course. You don’t need to thank me. You don’t have much of a choice. There’s no way we’re allowing you to walk or take a cab home.” Jaejoong smiled knowingly.

Youngjae gave a curt nod.

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow. He noticed how Daehyun and Youngjae had been acting strange for the past week. Youngjae seemed more down than anything else, opting to be alone whenever possible.

Jaejoong frowned. He didn’t want him to feel like he was alone. He could talk to any of them about anything.

“Are you okay?” He inquired. “You’ve seemed down the last few days.”

Youngjae’s breath hitched at the unexpected question. Panic flurried his mind, trying to find the convincing excuse.

“You know you can tell me anything.” Jaejoong didn’t give him the chance.

He sighed, silently taking him up on his offer. He really did need to talk.

“I…” He didn’t know where to begin. “I don’t know if I did the right thing.”

Jaejoong listened carefully.

“A friend of mine gave me…an offer. He’d been really excited about it and he really wanted me…” Youngjae paused the wight of guilt clinging heavier on his chest. “…but I turned him down…I don’t know if it was the right thing.”

Jaejoong paused, assessing his story. “Did you want to turn it down?”

“I…I didn’t want to, but I had to. I can’t accept it. I’m…” Youngjae furrowed his bow. “I’m too far behind. I’d only embarrass him. I’m 21 and still finishing high school. He and everyone else are far ahead of me, they’ve already graduated college or university and are starting their careers.” He spoke quickly as the words hurried off his lips. It made him sick thinking about it but even worse holding it in. He felt like throwing up.

Jaejoong thought for a moment. Youngjae only gave him vague details of his situation, but he didn’t want to pry for more information. He didn’t want to scare him off, he wanted him to feel comfortable enough to talk to him. Nonetheless, he had a hunch of what the young adult was talking about.

“You know Youngjae, you are not behind on anything.”

His words took the younger by surprise.

“You are exactly on time. Everyone’s lives and purposes are different and so are their paths. There are way too many people on this Earth for everyone or even most of us to have the same path. Otherwise we’d be living monotonous lives in a robotic world. You’ll have your hardships and setbacks, but that’s what builds us into better human beings. Those who don’t go through such things. Well…” Jaejoong spoke to him knowingly.

He was surprised by the shock look on Youngjae’s face.

“Youngjae, you are doing and learning great things. Don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise, not even yourself.” He told him firmly. He noticed the shine that glossed over his eyes. “And I’m sure your friend sees the same greatness in you to give you an opportunity. Only turn it down if you don’t want to take it, not because of what you think your status is.”

Youngjae tried to speak but couldn’t respond because of the unforgiving lump in his throat. But Jaejoong understood his unspoken words. He gave him a warming smile and gently ruffled his hair. “Let’s get a hot drink before heading home, okay?”

 

 

Daehyun laid on the couch contemplating on trying to restore his relationship with Youngjae. The two of them had been awkward with each other since that night. He didn’t mean to ruin their friendship. He didn’t want to make his best friend uncomfortable, but he did. He knew Youngjae felt guilty. Yeah, the rejection hurt, but he didn’t want him to feel bad. But how does he fix that? How does he get him to trust him again?

Daehyun let out a sigh. He should’ve never asked.

A soft bouncy ball suddenly hit his nose, followed by a series of giggles.

Daehyun sat up to find the 3 miniature culprits hiding behind the other end of the couch. It was Kihyun and his friends Minhyuk and Hyungwon.

It had been Jaejoong’s idea to allow Kihyun to have a little play date with his friends from school and daycare, since he was always surrounded by adults at home.

Kihyun always chose to invite Minhyuk, Hyungwon, Hyungwoo, and Hoseok. Today it was Kihyun and his two mischievous partners in crime.

Daehyun eyed the cheeky boys. “Who threw it?”

The 3 of them looked at each other in confusion.

“Who threw it?”

“Threw what?”

“I don’t know.”

“I didn’t see anything.”

They chattered amongst themselves, exaggerating their movements and facial expressions. Daehyun chuckled at their horrible act of lying. “Well, I guess since no one knows.” He picked up the ball. “I’ll just have to throw it at all of you.”

The elementary school boys’ eyes widened. They all screamed before running away.

Daehyun laughed, watching them run around despite him not even chasing them.

“Uncle Jaehyun! We threw the ball at Daehyun’s face. Can you pay us now?” Kihyun suddenly called.

“Uncle Jaehyun!” “Uncle Jaehyun!”

Daehyun laughed at how the boys also called them their ‘uncles’ not knowing any better but only that that’s what Kihyun called them.

Jaehyun appeared from his room at the sounds of their calls. “You did?”

The three nodded obediently.

“And it was funny!” Minhyuk blurted.

“Good.” Jaehyun nodded in approval. He walked down the stairs and pulled out a few dollar bills from his pocket, handing each of them a dollar. “Remember, don’t tell anyone.” He reminded, putting his finger against his lips.

The 5-year-olds did the same before running off giggling with their newfound money.

Daehyun shook his head, “I didn’t know that you were the kind to hand out money.” He remarked as his brother sat down on the couch next to him.

The younger shrugged, “It’s just extra cash I got from Dad, since he lost our bet.”

Daehyun scrunched his brow, “What bet?”

Jaehyun paused, “Uh…it’s nothing important.” He brushed off before returning to his phone.

Daehyun playfully rolled his eyes. His brother was always glued to his phone, texting Taeyong. But he was happy for him. He was convinced that the younger would never date anyone, which wasn’t necessarily bad, but he seemed happy with Taeyong. And Daehyun was happy for that.

A few minutes later, Yunho appeared from his office. “Jaejoong and Youngjae are almost home, so we’ll be heading out in a minute.” He patted his sons’ shoulders. That was their 5-minute signal to get ready to leave.

“Three musketeers~!” Yunho called.

The small boys appeared at their group nickname. “Jaejoong and Youngjae will be home soon, then we can get going to the fall festival.” He announced.

The boys eye slit up at the words ‘fall festival’

“But first, we need to get ready.” He told them before they could get hyper again.

They nodded firmly, already knowing what needed to be done.

Daehyun, Jaehyun, and Yunho helped the energetic boys put on their socks, shoes, and jackets. Then they put on their own warm attire.

By the time the 6 of them finished getting ready, Jaejoong and Youngjae arrived home. Youngjae quickly ran into his room to change out of his work clothes before they finally left.

 

 

-

 

 

“This is a fall festival?” Jaehyun questioned when they arrived at the festive park.

The park was filled with people and various stands and games, towered by large rides almost representing that of a small carnival.

Jaehyun, Youngjae, and Daehyun stared at the sight in shock.

“I guess a lot changed since you were kids.” Yunho smirked teasingly, already having experienced the initial shock of adulting.

“There’s a horse!” Minhyuk exclaimed the first of the three children to make i

Please log in to read the full chapter