Missing You

The Jung Family Holiday Stories 2020
Please log in to read the full chapter

The small 5-year-old popped his head from the small circle of the shirt, causing both of them to giggle through their teeth.

“Looks like you need a new shirt.” Youngjae helped his nephew put on the rest of his clothes.

“This is my favorite shirt!” The small boy clutched his shirt tightly as if to protect it. It was a light pink shirt with an ironed-on image of a microphone and music notes scattered on it. Youngjae didn’t understand why he liked it so much, but he didn’t argue with him about it. He’ll have to save it for another day when the young boy’s head could no longer fit through the neck hole.

“I’m not going to take it from you.” He promised, easily regaining the boy’s trust.

“Are you ready?”

Kihyun nodded.

He held out his hand only to have the 5-year-old run out the room giggling.

Youngjae shook his head but followed him out the room down the stairs. To his surprise everyone was already in the foyer. They’d been waiting for them forever how long they’d been upstairs changing. Daehyun was already helping Kihyun put on his shoes and jacket. Jaejoong and Yunho were stood side by side talking to Kihyun, a camera in Jaejoong’s hands.

It’s been less than a year since Daehyun’s parents welcomed he and his nephew into their home, and he already felt like so much has changed and happened. Jaejoong and Yunho had been extremely supportive in helping taking care of Kihyun while he worked and went to school. Jaejoong was the one, however, he looked for any and every way to help and take care of Kihyun.

Kihyun seemed just as fond of them as they were of him. They were also encouraging towards him getting his GED. Sometimes he felt embarrassed and discouraged at trying to complete his high school education at 21-years-old. He should’ve been in college by now, he should be preparing to graduate. He’s too old to do this. What’s the point in even trying?

He never voiced these plaguing thoughts, but the couple seemed to know when he was down and always managed to say the right things.

He was so grateful to them, so deeply so he didn’t know how to begin to repay them for their unconditional kindness. He hoped he could be this kind of comfort for his nephew.

Daehyun had been gone for most of the time, attending college out of town. He finished his final semester in the spring earlier in the year and graduated with his bachelor’s in Digital Media.

From then on Daehyun spent as much time as he could with Youngjae trying to make up for lost time that could never be brought back. Youngjae had been shy of him at first, and he still was, but slowly warmed up a little to the new grown up Daehyun. But he couldn’t bring himself to open up to the elder like they used to when they were kids. He was too ashamed of his past and what path he had been led on.

Daehyun was too far from him, too far ahead, higher than him on this hierarchy of life that he came to know. He could never reach him. He was too far behind.

“Did you eat?” Yunho smiled at the young boy who nodded vigorously.

“I had a huge breakfast that Jaejoongie made.” Kihyun stretched his arms out wide to give the taller male a visual of how much he ate. Daehyun stole the opportunity to slip on the boy’s jacket while he went on about all the fresh and hot food he ate. He then grabbed the boy’s backpack and slipped the straps onto his shoulders.

“I also made your lunch.” Jaejoong handed Kihyun a red lunch pale with his name on it, decorated with stickers of his favorite cartoon characters. The young boy’s eyes lit up at the metal box placed in his hands. “Make sure you eat everything else before you eat your desert.” Jaejoong reminded, “I’ll know if you don’t.”

“Yeah. He’ll definitely know.” Daehyun nodded in confirmation.

Youngjae laughed silently at the memory.

Kihyun however didn’t seem interested in the conversation, mostly focusing on the characters on his new lunchbox.

“Are you ready for your first day of school?” Youngjae as ked his small nephew.

“Yes!” The 5-year-old jumped.

“Wait. Let me get a picture of you.” Jaejoong quickly held up his signature camera.

Daehyun stepped to the side to allow his father to take pictures.

Jaejoong took a series of pictures of Kihyun before allowing each member to take a couple of pictures with the 5-year-old. Once the mini photoshoot was over, Daehyun, Youngjae, and Kihyun finally left the house, taking Daehyun’s new car to the school.

Youngjae was both excited and nervous for his nephew. He knew the young boy will have a lot of fun. It was easy for him to make friends and it was also relieving to know that some of his daycare friends will be attending the same school. But he couldn’t help but still b nervous for him. What if it was a horrible experience? What if he didn’t have fun or something happens? Those were small concerns however, because he was confident that Kihyun will have a great experience. The thing that made him the most nervous was that he wasn’t going to be able to see him as much.

He was used to always being around Kihyun throughout the day as he helped out at the daycare and having him home whenever he was home. They usually went everywhere together, did everything together. It wasn’t because they had to, but because they wanted to. Kihyun wanted to go everywhere with him, and Youngjae liked to have him close to him. It was-

“We’re here!” Daehyun announced, pulling up to a parking stall.

Youngjae had been so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t notice they’d already arrived at the school. He accidentally stumbled out the car, forcing himself out his mind. He opened the back door where Kihyun was excited to get out of the car.

Youngjae chuckled, unbuckling him from his car seat. Kihyun stretched his arms out as Youngjae picked him out of the seat onto the ground. He held out his hand. Kihyun took it, wrapping his delicate fingers around whatever he can grab.

“Ready?” Youngjae looked to Daehyun who was leaning against the car door smiling at them.

“I’ll just wait here.” He snapped out of his gaze playing nonchalant.

Youngjae nodded.

“Bye Daehyuun~!!” Kihyun waved his hand.

Daehyun returned the enthusiastic wave as they walked away.

Youngjae pulled out the folded paper from his pocket. It was the map of the school. He followed the directions while also explaining to Kihyun how to get to his class. It wasn’t long before they found the classroom. It was easy to find, which Youngjae was thankful for. Kihyun would be able to easily find it after a few more times of walking there.

He knelt down in front of his nephew. “Are you ready?” He felt like a broken record. He knew Kihyun was ready, but the question felt like it was more for himself.

Kihyun nodded.

“I can’t go with you.” Youngjae reminded himself.

“I know hyung.”

They gave each other one last hug before Kihyun ran into the classroom.

Youngjae lingered a little longer, a small smile on his lips. He’ll be alright.

 

 

 

Daehyun was back inside the car when Youngjae returned from the school building. “Are you busy today?” Daehyun asked when he got into the car. Youngjae shook his head. “I took the day off.”

An excited smile grew on Daehyun’s lips. “Do you want to get breakfast?” He nearly blurted.

Youngjae chuckled but nodded.

Daehyun’s smile grew larger as he started the car, already knowing where he wanted to go.

 

 

He drove to a nearby donut shop. Youngjae’s eyes widened when they pulled into the parking lot. He recognized the old shop.

It was a quaint little shop that he and Daehyun used to always eat at in the mornings whenever Youngjae slept over at Daehyun’s house when they were kids. It was always the day’s highlight in their last morning together before Youngjae had to return home.

They stepped out the car and entered the worn-out building. Youngjae was hit with the force of nostalgia when the familiar aromas of sweet creams and toasted bagels entered his nostrils. The store was warmed by the heat of the always baking ovens.

The young cashier greeted them with a smile. She seemed to recognize Daehyun when they approached the counter.

Daehyun ordered for the two of them, taking Youngjae further by surprise that he’d remembered what he usually got from over a decade ago.

“I forgot about this place.” Youngjae said in astonishment as they sat down when they received their food.

“I used to come here very time I came back to visit from University.” Daehyun revealed his never-ending visits to the shop. He always came with the small hope of someday bumping into his long-lost childhood friend.

Youngjae silently nodded. He looked down at his cream-cheese filled bagel with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and pumpkin maple hot chocolate. It’d been his favorite breakfast meal in the fall whenever they visited the small shop. He was amazed that Daehyun remembered. He wanted to ask, but decided against it, afraid of the guilt that’ll swell within him.

Instead, he ate silently, enjoying the crisp heat of the bagel. He allowed Daehyun to do most of the talking. He responded with a few short sentences. He’d grown shy of Daehyun since he moved in with his family. He didn’t know why.

He wasn’t sure if it was the shame of disappearing from his best friend or if it was embarrassment from the elder kissed him on New Year’s.

Youngjae’s cheeks heated at the memory. Maybe it was both. He concluded.

“Youngjae?” The sound of his name from the elder snapped him from his thoughts.

“Are you okay?” he was met with the elder’s concerned eyes.

“Uh, yeah. Sorry. I was thinking.” Youngjae rubbed his neck in embarrassment.

Daehyun slowly nodded. “Well, Jongin invited us to a small costume party at his and Kyungsoo’s apartment.”

“Small?” Youngjae questioned, recalling that Jongin was the son of Heechul.

Daehyun chuckled, “That what he called it. Did you want to go?”

Youngjae pressed an amused smile, hiding his hesitation. He wasn’t sure who’d be at Jongin’s “small” party, but he did know that he wouldn’t know anyone except for maybe a few people. But maybe that’s a good thing.

“Sure.” He gave in.

Daehyun grinned widely at his response.

“But I don’t have a costume.”

“It’s okay. We can shop for one really quick.” Daehyun said, excited by his idea.

Youngjae hesitated, mentally calculating if he had enough for a last-minute costume for himself, but he pressed a smile with a stiff nod.

 

They finished their meals a few minutes later before leaving the shop.

They stopped by a nearby grocery store and scourged the Halloween s

Please log in to read the full chapter