Chapter 8: Panda’s Luck

BLUES: I Like to Compose more than I Like People

 

 

On the other side of Seoul City, a normal High School was located. It’s nothing special yet it adopted talented students. People there were busy learning different skills but specialized in leadership of communicating. In short, they were conducting the best way on how to be a professionalized MC.

Various feet scampered along the hallway yet those were almost mute because voices were louder than usual. Whispers were even not the normal ones, as the rumor spread in seconds. This school was never outdated when rumors and information were released within that instant.

“Congratulations. Your transfer officially starts now.” The Principal congratulated their famous student who’s wearing a white uniform neatly while shaking their hands. The certain student then replied, “Thank you so much. I will never forget what I’ve learn in this school.”

“If you change your mind, we will never have any second thought to welcome you again.”

“That’s good to hear, Principal. But I’ve already decided to transfer in YG High School. Maybe if I’ll be really successful there then I wouldn’t even doubt to promote this school.”

“That’s alright. At least we know that you’ve attended this school. We will support you no matter what.”

The said student smiled as well as the Principal. They exchanged bows before guiding themselves to the door and that’s where a new life awaits to this adventurous exclusive student.

Once he departed from the office, he tightened his grip to his bag and raised his head high before jogging all the way out. He reached the gate then glanced back. He spoke, “I wish myself luck! But what I’ve learn here will never fade away. Goodbye.”

----

 

Currently in the cafeteria of YG High School, the students there were now gossiping over the famous composer having companies. Jiyong played deaf while munching his food. But Taeyang was glancing from his left and right every now and then, obviously annoyed by the looks the students gave.

“Pretend you can’t hear them or you’ll be attracting more attention, Taeyang.” TOP suggested while sipping his coffee. His other hand was busy writing something in the paper that Jiyong had given last time. He was assigning the intonation of every sentence, drawing lines over each word.

“I can’t pretend because I can clearly hear them and they called that whispering?” Taeyang muttered, still affected by the crowd. He loves people watching him dance gracefully but not eating. And to make the situation worse, they’re place was in the middle of the cafeteria itself.

“I didn’t tell you two idiots to follow me around.” Jiyong said, making Taeyang and TOP snapped their heads to him. Taeyang could only sigh and choose to concentrate on how to eat his food peacefully instead while TOP rolled his eyes before inserting both earphones on.

The moment when Jiyong sensed the forced silence of the two, he took a quick look between Taeyang and TOP before excusing himself to use the men’s toilet. He left his things on the table as a proof for his temporary disappearance.

TOP let his eyes trailed Jiyong’s back until he’s nowhere in sight then shifted to the remaining person beside him. Still forcing himself to eat as casually as to what he knows, Taeyang finally lost his appetite.

“When on earth will they stop whispering? Seriously.” Taeyang complained, flicking the salad with his fork boringly. As a response, TOP just shrugged then replied, “You’ll get used to it someday. It wasn’t that much of a bother, you know.”

“Maybe. Someday.”

----

 

 

Closing the faucet, Jiyong dried his hands with the tissue. He stared at the reflection of himself in the mirror, longer than expected. He couldn’t just throw the thoughts of joining his recent friends in forming a band.

It’s true that he can sing and rap. But he hates people and that’s something he couldn’t get rid of himself. He doesn’t like audience either and will never appreciate his own talents unless it will be complimented by his family.

Family, a strange word for him during the time of his loss. When was the last time he think of them? Last night? Last year? Or decades ago? No, neither of it were correct. Because it never left his own mind ever since.

Jiyong glared to himself this time. Of all people, he truly hated himself. His number one enemy? It was himself. There’s no point in becoming famous, in achieving high goals or in accomplishing difficult tasks because he couldn’t just be happy.

It may let him feel satisfied but that will vanish in a few seconds. Jiyong will keep on composing for him to escape the reality for the time being. What’s his main purpose of living anyway? Just to satisfy others or to himself?

Thoughts continued to linger in his baffled mind until it faded like smoke when a sudden plea outside the toilet was heard. Someone’s being bullied, Jiyong thought. Of course, High School wouldn’t be complete if bullies weren’t around.

“Don’t you have any manners? Entering our school with that uniform?” a gruffly voice asked. But it wasn’t that clear enough since it was behind the door, serving it as a barrier for Jiyong and the said bullies.

“I-I just came in…W-we can talk in a nice way…so please….just calm down.” The bullied voice tried to convince them yet he only received another punch in the stomach.

A groan from the new transferee was painful as it seems. He wasn’t treated like that. He had never experience combat because he was practically good in talking. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the best time to start the sweet talk.

“Another stupid student?” Jiyong wondered, while fixing his necktie. Good thing for Jiyong, he didn’t experience being bullied because he is currently famous in this school. Famous students were not the kind of people to mess with. And that exactly the first rule, the bullies knew from the start.

Jiyong can still hear the thumps as well as the non-stop plead of the bullied one. Maybe it will take a long day for the bullies to kill this stupid student with just kicks and punches. It wouldn’t surprise him. If they could use some weapons then they wouldn’t wipe their sweats out.

He shook his head. Why would he waste his time thinking about those people? It’s not like he was concern or something. The noises probably bugged the hell out of him.

After considering the reality that he was finished fixing whatever he wanted to be fixed, Jiyong opened the door and went out of the toilet just in time to witness the small scene in front of his own eyes.

The bullies stopped when they sensed someone’s presence. They looked over their shoulders and saw Jiyong standing there like he was supposed to. He didn’t move. Instead, he crossed his arms then sighed loudly.

“Tell me if you, stupid irritating people, want to be reported right now. So I could send Mr. Sean the regards.”

One of the leader-like among the three bullies dropped the bullied boy before standing upright. He began to walk to Jiyong’s direction, “And who the hell are you? Or do you want to replace that piece of rat then be our guest.”

He was half-way there when the two remaining members grabbed their leader from behind and exclaimed, “He’s Kwon Jiyong, Boss. The famous composer. We don’t have the right to beat him.”

“Really?” The boss widened his eyes before initiating a full 90° bow along with his subordinates. He then apologized, “I’m sorry. I didn’t recognize you. W-we’re taking our leave.”

They scurried away easily but not before Jiyong’s demand, “Meet the principal this instant and tell no lies. If you fail to do this, I will request a direct kick-out for the three of you Class E 2B.”

“H-he…He knew us! We can’t disagree with him.” the one in the right panicked before giving each other a glance.

“Understood.” They all bowed again and ran in the hallway.

Satisfied, Jiyong proceeded to go back in the cafeteria. He slowly passed the still grunting victim on the floor. Didn’t offer any help or even looked at him as his normal pace accelerated.

“W-wait…C-can y-you…h-help me…” Stuttered the victim while raising his left arm in the air, indicating that he wanted to stand up despite the pitiful situation he was currently into.

Jiyong’s pace halted but what comes out of his sinful mouth doesn’t contribute any help at all. “Having a stupid deal with those bullies wasn’t enough?”

The young victim tilted his head slightly to his right, confused by the sudden coldness. He thought that this man was his savior and a savior was suppose to be helping him all throughout until he was certain that he’d gain his human rights.

But what is this he’s getting? Is this school normally like this? Built up like this? Disrespectful students and unfriendly surroundings? Maybe he was wrong to transfer. Maybe it wasn’t a wise plan after all. Perhaps, he should go back.

No, he has dignity. He can’t go back. Not now. And he shouldn’t give up either. Experiencing this might be not a good start but what is more important is the future and that’s where he got the courage to fend for himself.

“I-I just want to…thank you, K-Kwon Jiyong? Right? T-That’s what I heard from them.” He slowly dropped his arm before pushing himself to a sitting posture.

There’s no way Jiyong couldn’t hear the hurting victim as the way he said those words with the continuous groans. This made his eyebrows furrowed. Why is the victim thanking him? Because he’s just purely stupid, that was Jiyong’s thought.

“Don’t thank me. I just happened to be in the toilet and passed here. I don’t stick my nose to anybody’s business.” He spat, so much hatred in his voice.

Never did enter in his mind to save somebody’s and to be the hero. As much as possible, he doesn’t want to be known or to be fussing over with. He was about to leave the helpless student when a bag flew to his spot.

“What the—” Jiyong caught it abruptly. It was his own bag and his frown turned deep. He looked up and saw TOP with Taeyang walking their way to his. Taeyang was just smiling not until he saw the bruised boy at the back of Jiyong.

“Lunch’s over. I’ll be heading to my class. You and Taeyang should go to your classes too.” TOP reminded. Jiyong could only nod before hanging his bag to his shoulder. Taeyang wasn’t dumb to just stare at the almost lifeless body on the floor.

He approached the victim and helped him stood up. TOP shifted his attention to the back then asked Jiyong, “And who’s that?”

This time, Jiyong glanced back and witnessed the misfortune situation of his unexpected encounter. He shrugged his shoulders, “Got bullied, obviously.”

“You help him out?”

“No, why should I do that?”

“Because that’s the first thing a kindhearted person will do.”

“Shutup. I’m no near that.”

TOP scoffed mentally at Jiyong’s words. He knew that Jiyong will say those but just provoked him anyway. They both watched how Taeyang slung the victim’s left arm to his shoulder before letting the said victim gather himself up.

“The infirmary is in the next building. Let me take you there.” Taeyang offered. He didn’t ask if the victim was alright or not because he’s clearly hurting and Taeyang wouldn’t just ask a stupid question, would he?

“T-Thank you, Kwon Jiyong. I thought you’ll leave me here.”

“Oh, sorry but I’m not Jiyong. I am Taeyang and don’t mind Jiyong. He’s my friend and got that attitude ever since. But don’t worry, he’s not that bad if you get to know him.” Taeyang explained immediately when he noticed how the victim tried to see through his swelling eyes.

That gave explanation on how the victim didn’t have knowledge of who was helping him out. He forced to see his second savior with those sore bruises and blurry vision before smiling through his cut lips.

Taeyang understood and smiled back. He supported the victim’s weight until they reached the two rappers, forming a circle in process.

“I didn’t introduce myself yet. Won’t you mind, gentlemen?” The transferee politely asked. They nodded except for Jiyong who just stared at him like he’s not there.

“Hi, I am Lee Seunghyun. People call me Seungri because I am really fortunate myself as I frequently taste victory. I’m a transferee and—”

“First Year Class A 1A. Accepted by our Principal since you represented your school the best through your advertising skills and could sing. Current status? Fresh Voice.”

Seungri didn’t have the time to finish his introduction when Jiyong was the one to finish it for him. Flabbergasted, the three looked at Jiyong like he just rapped the lines with no difficulty or memorized tone in his voice.

“H-How did you know?” Seungri asked amusingly. Many thoughts flashed into his mind within those seconds. He even thought that he was that famous for Jiyong to know about him.

“Am I famous he—”

“No, you’re not. Mr. Sean shared the new information regarding this school to me since I’ll be doing another part for you to fit in.” Jiyong said immediately to avoid the conversation where fame was concern again.

“Seriously? Then why…”

“Take him to the infirmary now, Taeyang. I don’t like to waste my time in here.” Jiyong then turned his back and walked down the hall to his class, leaving the three alone.

TOP was the one to move, patting Seungri’s head before saying, “Welcome to the group. Better treat your bruises first. See you guys later.”

Then they took their separated ways with Seungri’s contented smile along with Taeyang, TOP’s half-smile and Jiyong’s unbelievably occurring of sudden headache due to dealing with another strange person.

 


A/N: done with chapter eight. thanks for reading.