Chapter 2: Way Back Home

BLUES: I Like to Compose more than I Like People

 

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

I kicked some pebbles on my way as I climbed up the hill. I used to live in an orphanage but that changed when I met ‘ahjumma’ few years ago. Yes, we lived in the top of the hill where people find it difficult to visit. Ahjumma owns the house and she took care of me like her own son but in return, I gave nothing but coldness and blatant reactions.

I’m aware of all the kindness and tenderness she showed me, I can’t help being just the way I am. Albeit even if I die, she wouldn’t mind, would she? Haha Whatever, come what may, I still have works to accomplish. Well, I can’t say that we’re not in a good terms but I just don’t give a damn about people’s care. That’s all.

As I entered the house, I immediately went straight to my room. Not minding the voice that approached me. “Jiyong-ah, you’re he-” Ahjumma didn’t finish her sentence when the door slammed hard as I threw myself to the stress-free bed of mine. Daring not to care about changing into a comfortable clothes or pajamas, it’s just troublesome.

“Aish, I should start my new piece tomorrow morning.” I mumbled against the pillow. As time goes by, I didn’t even notice that I drifted to a dreamless sleep.

 

I woke up in the middle of the night as my stomach growled in hunger and found myself still in uniform. Good thing I have another set of uniform aside from this, tsk. I went downstairs and stormed hungrily at the kitchen. There, I saw a note posted in the surface of the fridge.

 

 -Jiyong, just heat the meat found inside. It got cold when you’re still asleep awhile ago. Be full and don’t let yourself starve again.-

 

I sighed and did what she just wrote. By this time, she’s already sleeping. After I fulfilled my stomach needs, I decided to walk outside so I can think more about what type of song I should compose this time.  I don’t care whether people are sleeping or ghost may accompany me this hour but I went to where my hideout was. Yeah, you can call it ‘hideout’ but I prefer to call it ‘My Other Place’ since the recording studio was the first.

I sat under the huge tree even though it’s kinda windy but I like it here. I felt the serenity of the world. I felt everything from the start. The way what the world should be, what my life should be, what people thought of peaceful Mother Earth and what I thought about dying at that moment.

Once again, guiltiness filled up all over me as I lifted my head up and shut my eyes. Remembering those incidents that keep on repeating until now. Oh yeah, I brought my bestfriends with me considering the fact that I will write about the new piece. I don’t want to open my eyes, just let me reminisce those nostalgic scenes years ago.

End of POV

 

*FLASHBACK*

“Dami noona~!!!!!” a 9 years old Jiyong yelled from the other side of the living room.

“Yah! Jiyong-ah, it’s still 7am in the morning! Wae so Noisy???” Dami, Jiyong’s Noona, asked.

“Jiyong wants to cook too!”

“Can you stop addressing yourself as the 3rd person?”

“Waeyo noona?? Is it bad??? Jiyong wants to be unique you know.”

“Alright, but learn to give yourself a time so you won’t suffocate that much.”

“Is Loving oneself can lead to suffocation? Waeyo? Jiyong prefers that way than people misunderstand when Jiyong lacks on love.”

“But you love yourself so much Jiyong-ah, Noona’s getting jealous too.”

“Hahahahaha! You fell to my trap!”

“Aish~!!! You win! Eat your 3rd person language staff! Next time, I won’t vow of not using 3rd person sentences too.” Dami pouted while Jiyong dances around the room.

“Mianhae Noona-ah, I’m just having fun kekeke, please teach me to cook. I want to learn really” Jiyong begged. “Ok, BUT in one condition” Dami said. It took a moment before Jiyong nodded.

“You should pay attention carefully and don’t be so boastful if you get it right ahead.”

Jiyong nodded again with a smirk on his face.

 

Dami taught Jiyong and they spend an hour like that. Filled with so much love and you can see Jiyong’s abilities and born to be a fast learner. He is pretty bright. When he is quiet, he is extremely quiet.  But sometimes crazy when he’s with his family and friends. His senses are fast, has high self-esteem and like to be outstanding among the others.

“It’s almost 8:30 Jiyong-ah~!!! Omo! Go and clean yourself. You have school young boy!” Dami exclaimed.

“Andwae, I want to learn the secret!!! C’mon noona!! Just another hour please.”

“Jiyong, you’re late again! I won’t tolerate you.”

“But but but you said---”

“No more buts Jiyong! C’mon hurry up.”

After 15 minutes, Jiyong bid goodbye to his Noona and went off to school just a few blocks away.

Their parents were earlier as usual. They will wake up at 6am and will go to work at 6:30, reason why they barely see each other at the morning. They consist of a happy family with problem-free bondings and won’t spend a day without each other’s accompany. For short, they’re just inseparable and a genius family full of enthusiasm in every field they have.

 

 

Jiyong’s dismissal time is probably at 5pm but he did some other things that’s why he was late again for his usual homecoming time. He happily skipped the road not bothering the other people’s business. As he reached their gate, he noticed that something was off. Something was burning and you can see fire against their roof-WAIT! The House is on fire! Jiyong abruptly ran to their house as he wished that no one’s hurt inside especially his Dami noona.

Once he entered, he quickly covered his mouth with his right hand while his left hand flailing to the air hoping that someone will see him. He managed to take a glimpse of the grandfather clock which stated that it’s already 6pm. That only means one thing. His parents are back as well.

Not wasting any time, he berserkly passed through the already falling objects above him and went upstairs only to find his parents being laid by the corridor of their hallway that reached his parents room.

His heart and mind cluttered at the sight in front of him. He wants to move but he can’t, he wants to run but his feet won’t budge, he wants to do something but he refuse to believe what’s happening.

He gathered his strength even though he’s only 9 years of age to get rid of the falling objects by dodging it until he reached out for his mother’s lovely hand. He bent down and caresses both his parent’s hands and gripped on it tightly.

“Umma! Appa! Wake up!!! Stay strong! Don’t leave me here! Let’s get out now!! Yah!! No time to play! It’s not funny at all!” He carelessly shaking both his parents but they won’t even stir. “Saranghae Umma Appa! I’ll be a good boy now just don’t leave me! Yah! Umma, Appa! Come on!”Jiyong kept on yelling but got no response from the two bodies. He suddenly heard a soft yet hoarse voice from the outside.

“Jiyong-ah….”

    ………..

“Jiyong-ah”

“Dami Noona?” He didn’t think twice as he recognized that voice. Before he stands up, he hugged both bodies and never failed at leaving them the sweetest ‘Saranghae’ he could ever utter.

“Saranghaeyo Umma Appa, wait for me. I won’t forget this day...ever.”

He ran to which direction that voice earlier came from. It’s so foggy but he managed to hold his breath and see even though you can consider it as the peripheral view only. “Dami noona!! Where ....are…. you?!” He managed to ask between his coughs.

“Jiyong-ah…kitchen….run…live.”

“No Noona! Wait for me!”

“Not..too..late..to..save….yourself…KA!(GO)”

Jiyong didn’t care less, he literally jump from upstairs until his feet touched the floor and fled to the kitchen.”Noona! Noona!” There, he saw his Dami noona laying at the ground catching her breath to speak.

“Noona! What happen? Umma appa…..andwae!! You can’t leave me too….Come on Noona ride at my back. Let’s get out of here!” He yelled but tears ran out from his eyes.

“Jiyong-ah listen, be a strong boy Arraseo? Don’t forget to love yourself more and people you’ll encounter in the future. Live your life to the fullest. Don’t be stubborn. Now listen carefully, Umma Appa and Noona Loves you so much. Don’t disappoint us Arraseo? We Love you so much Jiyong-ah...remember...that...always.” With that, she practically held Jiyong’s hand and slowly, shut her eyes off.

“NO! Noona!! I can’t…why….No!!!! Yah!!! Wake Up!!!Saranghae Noona-ah!! That’s what you want to hear right??Please..yah!! Dami Noona….” He trailed off as he felt the dizziness conquered him but he also felt arms lifted him up only to see a blurry vision of the fireman. He clenched hard at the object in his hand as heaviness entangled him again and again but he forces himself to fight it. His body’s betraying what his mind wants until all he can hear were unfamiliar voices shouting and talking or gossiping.

Fresh air touches his face and by then, he knew that he’s out from the burning house. At that moment, he heard sirens and talking people which he assumes, a policeman and a fireman.

“What Happen?”

“Fire started at the kitchen and went all over the house. We only manage to rescue this boy in his sister’s arms while I think the parents were not even breathing when we arrived”

“I see, what he’s holding?”

“A necklace, I think his sister gave it before she passed away”

“Can you state what’s the cause of this huge disaster?”

“According to our observations, we predict that the gas was left unattended”

“Who to blame?”

“That’s the question.”

 

 

 


 

A/N: done with chapter two. thanks for reading.