Chapter 7: Dealing with another Rapper

BLUES: I Like to Compose more than I Like People

 

 

 

Untouched foods in the table located in the center were already cold due to nobody’s paying attention to it. The atmosphere itself isn’t much helping. People who may pass through the hallway will even think that there are no students in the Recording Studio.

But in reality, three young males were sitting in each designated seats, facing each other in a respected distance, while giving different looks. Jiyong’s non-stop threatening gaze to TOP as well as Taeyang’s curious look to the both of them. TOP, on the other hand, wore that bossy smirk.

“So, TOP-ssi.” Taeyang started off. “I honestly didn’t know you and never been heard of you—”

“That’s surprising.” TOP disrupted before crossing his arms. Taeyang got even more curious as he tilted his head, probably thinking what did TOP meant by that.

“My fame is currently uprising yet this school isn’t updated? What are you people doing from all these years?” TOP asked disbelievingly which made Jiyong scoffed bitterly.

“We have a LOT of things to do other than gossiping.” Jiyong spat as he slouched lazily at his swiveling black chair. TOP didn’t like that attitude. He examined Jiyong from head to toe again. If he was given a chance to choose whom he want to work with, definitely it won’t be this guy he’s looking at.

“W-well! Since you said that our Principal suggested you to work with us, I mean with Jiyong here, then I think it will be great. You two can be duo or something.” Taeyang said as casually as possible while eyeing the two.

Hearing this, TOP shifted his attention to Taeyang. The latter smiled almost immediately when he noticed TOP’s stare, ignoring the fuming aura of Jiyong on the side.

“What do you mean ‘with Jiyong’? Don’t tell me you’re not included here?” TOP raised his eyebrows this time. Taeyang just scratched his head before nodding then said, “He’s my friend and it’s actually my first time in this studio but you’re an exception, I guess, because you’re here for business.”

“Absolutely right. The principal wouldn’t pick me for nothing.” TOP boasted. Jiyong couldn’t take it anymore. He swiftly stood up, making his chair bumped to the table behind it noisily. TOP glanced but Jiyong just rolled his eyes and went next to the mixer.

“Then show me what you got.” Jiyong challenged, not forgetting to shot one last glare to TOP before tapping the familiar buttons once more.

TOP didn’t hesitate. He gladly complied, stood up gracefully compared to Jiyong’s and went inside the voice recording area. As the door clicked, TOP picked up the headphone that was hanged properly before putting them on.

The tension around wouldn’t just fade away, Taeyang thought. He was really anticipating for TOP’s skills and couldn’t just sit there. And so he walked until he was beside Jiyong, who in return, didn’t show how anxious he was.

“I will start now.” TOP reminded although Jiyong wasn’t much giving his spare attention but he knew that Jiyong will listen no matter what.

 

 

Yeah T.O.P right here!
And It's been a while, You see!
I still remember them days.. you remember?
Reminiscin' over you..
but I'm aight !
like always

Thinking little of it, I guess it’s over already
The last period, The map which I marked
Ripping all of it, To the streets once again
I’m not wandering, wandering
I’m just looking for you, Why run away?
Above the blue sea
Swim, swim, swimming
A whale’s dream

 

[Song: Friend by Taeyang and TOP. TOP’s rap part first verse English Trans.]

 

 

For a moment, there was silence but that changed when Taeyang was the first one to react. “That was…cool! Way to go for like a first timer.”

“I’m not a first timer.” TOP corrected. “I am continuously practicing my rapping ability as long as I can remember. Don’t underestimate an underground rapper like me.”

“Well, I’m just saying.” Taeyang shrugged before looking at Jiyong. As if he wasn’t impress, still wearing that pokerface then decided to comment. “That’s all you’ve got?”

TOP saw how Taeyang shook his head while Jiyong uttered those words out. He can tell that Jiyong was proving something and that something must be express. “Didn’t I say that I am just starting? No?”

Flashing his famous trademark smirk again, he then proceeded.

 

(hey hey, hey hey) Girly got that good stuff!

Please, give me room, Ima do when I do these, in full swing

When I cleared the room, there she was, so beauty

Never ever did I lay my two eyes on so much juicy (so juicy)

Gotta say she's so incredible; classy, not a hoochie

So truly, wanna show her I'm that kinda guy, fosho

That gives her more than your average, Im goin all for broke Just like these deep flows,

I got what it takes to beat yours

So they may call me HERO But enough of that you're all crying out

Drama Girl you got my head on spin, aint nothing I would do

What's going on, we going out

Cuz its about me and you Im talking every second of every minute,

Im thinking about you

We gonna breeze right through, forever from my heart,

I promise you

 

[Song: We Belong Together English Version by GD, TOP Ft. Park Bom. TOP’s rap part]

 

Witnessing this, Taeyang grin then patted Jiyong’s back, “This is great, Jiyong. Say, you two should spend the whole time making your incredible and undeniable rap lines then record it and show the sample to the Principal. He will be amaze for sure.”

“Can you sing?” Jiyong blurted which made TOP and Taeyang looked at him with all their curiosities. He wasn’t referring to TOP. He was waiting for Taeyang’s answer.

“W-what? You mean TOP-sii, right?” Taeyang doubtingly asked while gesturing to the person standing behind that mic in the voice recording area.

Jiyong, now, fully faced Taeyang and slightly shook his head before pointing his forefinger to Taeyang. Surprised, Taeyang couldn’t answer. He didn’t expect this. For all he knows, he was just there to support his friend.

“I don’t know. I haven’t practice singing since it isn’t my thing.” Taeyang admitted honestly. I knew what’s Jiyong’s thinking, TOP thought while the two weren’t focusing on him. He pulled the headphone out then left the area in a minute.

TOP then interjected himself in, “Why don’t you try? There’s no problem in that, isn’t it Jiyong?”

Glancing at him, Jiyong nodded then grabbed the nearest chair before slumping himself to it. “At least you’re thinking the same way I do.” He muttered yet TOP didn’t fail to hear that.

Taeyang blinked, obviously not understanding the intention of the rappers. He didn’t move, maybe because he doesn’t know what he’s suppose to be doing or the sudden insecurities flared up all at once or even thinking that it’s a conversation between rappers only.

Either way, he was truly certain that he’s not confident that time. Taeyang would sing occasionally when he felt like singing but not to the point where he will show it to anyone else. As he kept on faltering, there’s this conflicting voices inside his head.

Taeyang swore he could hear the arguments clearly. The other was saying that he got nothing to lose, why not give it a try? And these men in front of him where no other than Musicians themselves so there’s nothing to worry about. Yet the other couldn’t just agree, defending that he might just embarrass himself with these so called Musicians duo.

“If you continue standing there and wouldn’t just drag your to that area and start singing, I will not resist the urge to just throw you out of this room and never let you enter again.” Jiyong warned while massaging his temples, purely depressed by the still-thinking Taeyang.

“Gather yourself up, Buddy. Just do what’s told to you.” TOP suggested but Taeyang doesn’t know if he’s helping or not in that situation he’d been.

In order to end this as soon as possible, Taeyang slowly walked into the voice recording area and composed himself; wearing the headphones and facing the mic like it wasn’t foreign to him. He silently prayed first before starting when he thought he was ready.

Silence turned to some soothing melody until it almost echoed through the rappers’ ears. TOP nodded like he knew what position Taeyang will occupy if he’s one of the singers. Jiyong was just randomly sketching something in his notepad but cannot hide the fact that he was fully aware of the singing person.

Taeyang was closing his eyes the entire time, concentrating on how his voice tune up and low while he was singing. Similar to dancing, he felt the music with some common small gestures of his hands. He convinced himself not to think that there were presences around him and that’s exactly how he did it.

“So why can I turn off the radio~” Taeyang ended like he was born to initiate something that concerns music. He then opened his eyes and much to his relief, he saw how TOP lifted his hands and clapped.

Suddenly, he felt like trembling because he was back in reality; listened and observed by the rappers. He didn’t wait for Jiyong to give his opinion nor criticize him as he went out of the area quickly before sitting in the nearby couch.

“I will admit, you got something other than your height.” TOP complimented but it turned out like an insult. Taeyang was just facing them his back as he continued to sulked, not impressed by his own ability to sing.

Contemplating whether to comfort or compliment him, Jiyong then said “Ballad is your thing, I see.” He took little steps with a paper on his hand then showed it to Taeyang.

On the corner of Taeyang’s eye, he saw the offered paper but he didn’t know that he passed. Jiyong gave his own opinion concerning Taeyang’s work and that’s a first, musically speaking. Taeyang glanced at the paper before slowly accepting it.

He scanned the written words and he was 100% certified that it was no other than a lyrics and a definite part. That didn’t fail to widen his small but sharp eyes. His head jerked up to look at Jiyong in all doubt.

Instead of catching Jiyong’s contented expression, Taeyang saw him grabbed another paper and shoved it to TOP’s chest harshly, as if not allowing himself that he was giving the opportunity to TOP. Before the paper could fall, TOP was just in time to hold it.

“Those are your assigned parts. I’m almost done with the instrumental and when that time comes, I want you two to think what tune would be the best. Is that clear enough?” Jiyong announced while he reached for the exit.

“And where are your parts then?” TOP’s question made Jiyong halted half-way. Taeyang then stood up, anticipating for Jiyong’s answer as well.

This made Jiyong frowned before shaking his head vaguely. He looked over his left shoulder before saying, “I’m just a composer myself. I don’t collaborate with people.”

With that, he darted off.

 


A/N: done with chapter seven. thanks for reading.