2- Hamster

October for Wenrene

"Seulgi!" Joohyun calls as she comes thundering down the stairs. "Seulgi, why is there a giant Hamster in our backyard?"

Her bestfriend and housemate looks up from where she's casually seated, hands stuffed into a pringles can and crumbs all over her shirt.

"There's a what?"

Joohyun grimaces at the sight for a bit before shaking it off. She has more important questions that need to be addressed.

"Hamster," she points, "over there."

Indeed there is a giant hamster standing under the old treehouse. Only it wasn't really a hamster. Hamsters don't wear expensive looking backpacks.

"Oh that's just Wannie," Seulgi smiles. "Yerim brought her over. She's very nice."

"Why would Yerim bring... You know what, nevermind. I'm gonna go ask her."

"She should be somewhere outside with Wannie," Seulgi says as Joohyun walks away.

The giant hamster turns just as Joohyun goes down the back porch steps. Wannie, or whoever she is, has her big hoodie that looks like a hamster's face cover most of her face that she has to brush it up with sleeve covered hands just she could look at who's approaching.

And time freezes.

Well, not time but Joohyun definitely did.

"Hi," the giant hamster greets cheerfully, one sleeve covered hand waving while the other keeps the hooodie up to show her face.

"H-hi." Joohyun clears , surprisingly feeling dry as warmth crawls up her cheeks. "Uh..."

"Seungwan," the giant hamster says, "But Yerim calls me Wannie."

"Wannie?"

Seungwan shrugs, cheerful smile still bright on her face.

"She's Yerim," she says.

That would make sense of course. Yerim does have the tendency to most questionable things and still get out unscathed. At least this one's cute.

But there is still something puzzling Joohyun though.

"Why are you in a hamster onesie?"

"Oh this?" Seungwan twirls as if she's showing off an expensive gown and laughs at Joohyun's nearly bewildered expression.

"Yes, that."

"They didn't have squirrel onesies at the store," Seungwan explains.

"Squirrel onesies?"

"Yup," Seungwan confirms. "Yerim thought it would look friendlier for catching squirrels."

Before Joohyun could demand an explanation, Yerim comes bouncing through the back gate fully dressed up in what looks like a pink puppy.

"Wannie! Did you see anything?"

"Yah! I'm still your unnie you little punk," Seungwan grouches playfully.

Yerim just laughs and tosses a small pack of cloth towards Seungwan in a pass.

"You got the nuts?" Seungwan asks.

"Premium," boasts Yerim. "Can I keep the change?"

"You'll keep them even if I say no anyway."

"Please, as if you'd ever say no."

"Hey wait a minute," Joohyun interrupts. "What exactly is going on here?"

Yerim makes a well-aimed jump to pull down the rope ladder that would let them up the treehouse before responding.

"Squirrel infestation," she grins. "We're doing the extermination."

"Wait, I thought you said rescue –"

"And that too!" Yerim cuts off a pouting Seungwan.

Joohyun's eyes bounces between the two girls as they try to climb up the rope ladder with their hands frantically wiggling to get out of long sleeves so they can find better grip.

"This feels like it's not gonna end well," she mumbles.

Not even three seconds later, Seungwan slips and falls down. It wasn't too big of a fall but her cheek gets a scratch that has Joohyun insitinctively running back inside to fetch the first aid box.

Yerim reaches the top of the treehouse and laughs at the grumbling Seungwan. She still asks if she's okay though, saying something about finishing the task in some archaic way and calling Seungwan her fallen comrade then disappears inside.

Joohyun returns and refuses to let Seungwan go back up there.

"We need to disinfect the wound," she insists.

"It's not even that serious," complains Seungwan.

Joohyun tsks and makes her sit down anyway. She pulls out the cottons and disinfectants.

One hand gently holds Seungwan's face to steady her head while the other sets to work.

She finishes wiping around the wound and starts to apply the ointment when she finally realizes how soft Seungwan's cheek feels under her fingers. It's plump and smooth and if she brushes her thumb over pliant skin for a few seconds, no one has to know.

Joohyun forces her eyes to stay rooted on the task at hand, mindful of the stare Seungwan is directing at her.

"I'm done," she mumbles quietly, hands slowly retreating from the warmth of Seungwan's slowly reddening face.

"Thanks," Seungwan replies in near whisper.

For a moment they share a gaze, eyes bravely meeting the other's when words fail their tongues.

"I..." Seungwan starts, clears and tries again. "M-maybe I should go help Yerim."

"Maybe you should," Joohyun quiety says back. "Or you could help me make some snacks inside."

Joohyun bites the inside of her cheek, her chest throbbing with the small hope that Seungwan somehow understands what she's trying to offer.

And she does.

Seungwan smiles and willingly takes her hand, excited over the premise of a different ending.