16- Mosquito

October for Wenrene

Yeri stands by the doorframe, eyes wide and unmoving. It's a day off. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and her dear Wendy unnie is dressed in her usual shorts and hoodie, hand absentmindedly scratching her in the living room.

Today is a great day.

The only thing missing is her phone. It's still charging in her room. She needs it. For science.

"Damn it," she mutters.

Maybe if she snuck out slowly.

"Oh, hey Yerms!"

Too late, Wendy's already noticed her. Yeri curses again, but fast to right up her expression before facing her unnie.

"What are you up to today?" Wendy asks, voice too cheery for eight in the morning.

"I have um, more brunch plans," she clears .

"Cool. Who with and what time do you leave? Do you wanna snack first or are you going to leave–"

Wendy goes on and on, making her way to the kitchen to rummage for whatever she can find while she asks a million questions.

Yeri used to hate it a lot, though she wasn't as vocal about it as Joy was. Now though, it just feels endearing. Wendy cares and Yeri doesn't hate that.

"– I'll have these strawberries cut for you so wait for a bit, okay?" Wendy ends her tirade.

With a smile, Yeri follows her into the kitchen too. She parks herself onto one of the barstools, silently watching Wendy make another attempt at food art.

"Should I help?" Yeri asks knowing full well how Wendy absolutely hates cooking with her.

It's always so fascinating to see how Wendy's muscles lock up, eyes nearly shifting as a chooses over a thousand words to use that are not rude.

"I'm fine, thanks."

So that's what she settles for? Not good enough.

"But I'm great at cutting, unnie. You should see me with a knife."

Wendy huffs, face betraying how offended she actually is with that mental image.

"Yah, what great are you talking about, you shouldn't even be allowed to hold a knife in the first place!"

The thing is, though, Wendy's still nice no matter how annoyed she gets. She'll complain and whine but she's always gracious enough to banter back.

"I can so do well!" insists Yeri, still with that teasing smile. "At least I don't slice food right after I scratch my ."

Wendy gasps, loud and dramatic and perfectly herself. "I washed my hands!"

Yeri laughs, loud and carefree, just as Wendy finishes up with the fruits. She places the plate in front of the younger girl before sitting right across from her, already over it.

"So," she starts, "you never did answer what time you'll be heading out."

Yeri makes a show of rolling her eyes but she can't really stop the smile on her face. "You're such a mom," she teases. "Oldie."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm this dorm's mom, that's old news. Now tell me what time you'll leave."

"Tell me why you scratched your !"

Wendy pretends to growl, showing her teeth menacingly only to end up looking adorably funny. Yeri tells her as much. In stronger words. Wendy just ends up whining.

"It was a mosquito," she complains. "It bit me in the ."

"Serves you right for sleeping with no clothes on."

"That's a lie!" Wendy hits the table, appalled, hurts her hand and pouts. "Joy's wrong. I don't sleep . You can even go ask Seulgi," she mumbles, rubbing the pain soothingly.

Yeri's about to leave another smug remark when Irene walks in with light footsteps and a hum under her breath.

This isn't exactly a strange sight. Irene can be one of the more chipper member even when they're all a bit tired. What has Yeri's eyebrows raising, however, is the way Irene hops right over to give Wendy a small kiss on her hair before seating on a stool.

"What are you guys eating?" she asks as if she hasn't done anything unusual at all.

Wendy takes a strawberry from Yeri's plate and places it close to Irene's mouth.

This is where it gets disgusting.

Irene opens and takes the strawberry, blazingly daring eyes never leaving Wendy'sbown smoulder as she chews on the fruit with a strange purposeful quirk to her lips.

The fork clangs on where it's dropped on the ceramic plate as Yeri watches on with agape.

"What," Irene says after finally swallowing her food.

"What do you mean what? You‐" she points at Irene, then Wendy, "and you. You're both being weird. What's going on around here?"

"Maybe if you didn't go out so much, you would know."

"I don't need your snark, old lady. Now spill."

The two older girls exchange a look, a silent conversation that can only happen between two people who has spent a significant amount of time together. Probably doing things Yeri would rather not know. Ever. Gross.

"Well, you see, we thought that it would‐"

Oh great, Wendy unnie's the one explaining, she laments in her mind. It's going to take forever. She doesn't have time for this.

"Are you guys together?" Yeri cuts in.

Wendy blinks, processing how her carefully crafted confession just got hit right on bullseye without her even getting to it yet.

"Yes," Irene answers on her behalf instead. "Problems?"

"None," Yeri shrugs. "Congrats. Just don't be all gross around me. I'm too single for that."

"Then go get a girlfriend so I can have fun with mine."

"Unnie!" Wendy butts in, face red.

"What? What did I say?"

"You didn't have to say it like that," she shyly mumbles.

"I thought you liked me straightforward?"

"Oh gods, this is my reality now," Yeri says, fake gagging loudly to stop the couple from being all mushy and weird.
Irene reaches over to swat at her and completely misses.

Yeri ignores Irene's irate face and turns her attention to Wendy.

"Is this why you keep asking me what time I'll be leaving?"

Wendy's eyes comically widens, mouth frantically denying thoughts in so many words possible. Yeri can barely hear her from her own laughter.

Today is definitely a great day.