Your smile

All it takes is a smile from you

Jongwoon received the result of his quiz and he was so happy with it. He didn't get a full mark but, it was higher than he expected. He was so excited to tell Kyuhyun about it that he immediately went to the younger's classroom during lunch just to show him. He was standing outside the classroom when Kyuhyun noticed him.


"Hi, Jongwoon hyung. What are you doing here?" 


"Hi, Kyuhyun! I just wanted to show you this." Jongwoon said, showing Kyuhyun his paper. He was like a little kid boasting to his parents with a bright smile on his face.


It may sound like cliche scene from an overly done romantic movie but the way Jongwoon was smiling at him really feels like the sunshine greeting him. Something that he would love to bask in. There's warmth spreading in his whole being, making him feel giddy.


"I just got excited and wanted to show you. Thanks for helping me. Here." Jongwoon handed Kyuhyun a juice box, similar to what he received from Kyuhyun.


"Congrats, hyung. You did well." Kyuhyun simply said. He still feels a bit overwhelmed because of Jongwoon's smile which will probably be engraved in his mind.


"I still want to ask you about the mistakes I did. Will it be okay?"


"Sure."


"Thank you. See you on Friday after class, like usual?"


"Of course. See you, hyung."

 


---------

 

Friday came and just as they have talked about, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon will have their tutoring session. Jongwoon was the first to arrive in the library. He took out a pen and notebook while waiting for Kyuhyun to come. He was so engrossed in what he's doing that he didn't even notice that Kyuhyun has finally arrive. 


Kyuhyun can't help but smile when he saw Jongwoon looking so cute as he tilted his head, with a contemplative look on his face while scribbling on the notebook. Kyuhyun slowly made his way to the table and poke Jongwoon's waist that made Jongwoon jumped on his seat.


Jongwoon exclaimed in surprise, "Kyuhyun! "How long have you been there?"


"I just arrive. You look so serious there. What are you doing?" Kyuhyun asked as he took the seat beside Jongwoon.


"This?" Jongwoon looked a little embarrassed, "It's for the school festival. Our class decided to do a cafe and I'm helping with the interior design."


 "I didn't know you're good at art."


"I'm not. I just love designing." Jongwoon humbly answered. "What about your class, Kyuhyun?"


"We actually haven't decided yet. Some of my classmates think that a horror house will be fun but I also have classmates who likes photography and wanted our class to make a photo booth instead."

 

"What do you want to do?" Jongwoon asked.


"Me? I have nothing particular in mind. I want something that doesn't need a lot of work." Kyuhyun chuckled at the last sentence.


Jongwoon smiled, "I'm actually looking forward to the festival. I think it will be fun."


That smile again, Kyuhyun thought. He find that he likes Jongwoon's smile a lot and wishes it would always be directed to him. Kyuhyun didn't notice that he has been staring for quite some time until he saw Jongwoon's hand waving in front of his face.


"Kyuhyun...?"


Kyuhyun quickly regained his composure, "Oh. Sorry. Let's start with the lesson?"


They started discussing about Jongwoon's mistakes on the last quiz, falling into a comfortable rhythm. They are focused on the task at hand but deep down, both of them are feeling happy being with each other although none of them voiced it out.

​​​

"Kyuhyun, can I ask you something? You have to answer me honestly, okay?" Jongwoon asked suddenly.


"Sure, hyung. What is it?" Kyuhyun responded.


"Aren't you tired of helping me? There's nothing for you in it. I know you only accepted because Leeteuk hyung asked you and he's our sunbae but, I think I can do fine now by myself."


"Well, you're right. I only accepted because he is the one who asked and Heechul sunbaenim was also there, looking at me threateningly that all I can do is accept it."


Jongwoon already knew the answer, sans the Heechul hyung threatening thing, but it still hurts to hear there was really nothing about Jongwoon that would interest Kyuhyun.


"We can stop now. I know you would rather have a free time than go here in the library just to teach me. You don't even get a pay." Jongwoon told Kyuhyun.


"Will you pay me then?" Kyuhyun asked jokingly. "It's true that there WAS nothing to gain from teaching you but now..." 


"Now what?" Jongwoon asked with a puzzled look.


Kyuhyun smiled sweetly and put his index finger on his lips as if asking Jongwoon to be quiet.


"What is it?" Jongwoon insisted.


"Let's just finish this, hyung." Kyuhyun answered, ignoring Jongwoon's question.


They finished for the day and Kyuhyun helped Jongwoon by handing Jongwoon's book and notebook to him. 


"See you again next Friday, hyung. I'll continue to teach you until you can perfect a quiz" 


With that, Jongwoon is tempted to make a mistake on purpose on every following quiz they'll have.


Jongwoon went home, still thinking about what could Kyuhyun be possibly talking about. Is Leeteuk hyung paying him now? Or maybe Heechul hyung threatened him with something? Or maybe, it's because he's still hurt about Ryeowook that he wants some kind of distraction? Jongwoon doesn't know what's the least hurtful among those.


Jongwoon fetched his phone from his bag just to make sure Heechul isn't doing something crazy. However, a green paper caught his attention. He found a green turtle origami with something written on its back.


「I really like your smile. You're beautiful.」


There was no name. It doesn't say whose it for or whose it from. Maybe they mistook his bag for someone else. That's a shame, Jongwoon thought. It's really sweet and it didn't even go to the person it was meant for.


The next school day, as Jongwoon sat on his desk at their classroom, his mind drifted to the note that was misplaced in his bag. Maybe it was for one of their classmates? He remembered that they had PE last Friday and they left their bag in the classroom. Now, if the sender is their classmate then he wouldn't mistake Jongwoon's bag so it was probably not their classmate. Now, who sits next to him? There's two other people beside him but it can also be the ones in front or at the back. That narrows it down to four people.


Beautiful? There's now way to tell just from that. That's subjective and everyone has their own kind of beauty. As Jongwoon wonders about the recipient, he can't help but think that it would be nice if someone would be that sweet to him, going out of their way to make a turtle origami just to compliment the other person. He's kinda jealous of whoever that person is.