Tears

All it takes is a smile from you

Kyuhyun continued to teach Jongwoon in the library but, Jongwoon noticed that Kyuhyun would be out of it sometimes. There was even a time that Jongwoon had to call Kyuhyun's name three times before the other responded. Kyuhyun was just staring off into space, just like now.


"Kyuhyun" Jongwoon tapped him on his shoulder, "are you alright? We can go now if you're not feeling well." Jongwoon told him, worried.


"I'm fine. I was just thinking of something"


"Are you sure? I think I can manage this on my own."


"No. I promised Leeteuk hyung that I'll help. So don't worry about me." Kyuhyun offered him a smile but Jongwoon can feel something was off.


He didn't try to push Kyuhyun to talk. It wasn't his place to ask more about it. He just wish he could do something.


They were done for the day but Kyuhyun looks hesitant to go out. They walked together in silence then Jongwoon felt Kyuhyun stop abruptly. Jongwoon looked at Kyuhyun and saw that he was looking at something with a sad look. Jongwoon followed his gaze and saw Ryeowook with a girl who doesn't look like she goes to their school.


"Who's that?" Jongwoon can't help asking.


"Ryeowook's....girlfriend." He heard Kyuhyun answer like he didn't even want to say the word.


Kyuhyun eventually went to them with a smile but Jongwoon noticed it. That wasn't the smile he usually gives to Ryeowook. Even his eyes that would usually brighten up when he sees his friend remained dim.


'Don't make that face.' Jongwoon thought.


He felt his heart ache for the other and he did something that he would surely regret later. He approached the three.


"Kyuhyun. Are you busy? My friend just cancelled on me so I was wondering if you'd like to come instead. Please?" 


"Huh?" Kyuhyun was a bit dumbfounded with Jongwoon's sudden request. 


"Ohh, hyung! I was just about to ask Kyuhyun to come with us." Ryeowook spoke up.


"Is that so? You're going to turn me down again for the second time, huh." Jongwoon said with a fake pout.


"Kyuhyun! You shouldn't turn down Jongwoon hyung again. That would be rude. He's still our sunbae." Ryeowook lightly scolded Kyuhyun then talked to Jongwoon, "You can go with Kyuhyun, hyung. We'll just hang out another time."


"Really? Thanks. We'll go now." Jongwoon said and took Kyuhyun's hand. He dragged Kyuhyun to a considerable distance from the school, all the while, Kyuhyun remained speechless.


Jongwoon felt tired walking and he realized that he has been holding Kyuhyun's hand. He quickly pulled away and faced Kyuhyun with a blush.


"So..." Jongwoon started.


"What was that all about?" Kyuhyun asked when he finally got his senses back.

 

"That... I know a good ramen place. My treat. Just go with me." Jongwoon said. He didn't know what that was about too. He wasn't really thinking.


"Okay.." Kyuhyun just relented. He has nothing else to do anyway.


There weren't many people in the shop they went to but, the noodles was good. They ate in silence with Jongwoon sneaking a few glances at Kyuhyun who was sitting in front of him. On the other hand, Kyuhyun just continue eating his food mindlessly.


They went for a little walk after eating and came across a small playground. Jongwoon went to sit on the swing and Kyuhyun just followed him, sitting on the other swing. The sun has just set so it wasn't that dark yet. 


"You know, don't you? That's why you did that." Kyuhyun suddenly spoke up, "Am I that obvious?"

 

Jongwoon simply shook his head.


'No. I just knew because I'm always looking at you'


Kyuhyun looked up in the sky and started talking, "I started liking him in middle school. I thought it was just because we're close and that would eventually fade but it just grew more and more each day." 

 

Jongwoon listened in silence except for the thoughts that was running through his mind.


"I thought of confessing before we got into high school but I got scared. What if he rejects me and we started drifting apart? Or he accepted my confession but ended up breaking up and become awkward? I just want to be close to him" Kyuhyun tried to smile, blinking away the tears that started to fill his eyes.


'Why are you acting tough? Can't you just let yourself cry? It's just hurting you'


"I'm sorry. I shouldn't even be saying this to you. Was I too much?"


"No. It's alright. I'm a good listener."


"Thank you." Kyuhyun said, sincerely.

 

Jongwoon didn't like the way Kyuhyun is acting. He wants to cheer him up, "You know, they're just dating. They're not married yet." 


'What are you saying, Kim Jongwoon?'


"You're still not sure whether they'll last or not."


'Seriously, shut up.'


"You still have a chance."


'Why are you cheering him on?'


"For now, he has someone else. But don't you think it's too early to give up."


'What are you doing? This is your chance'


"You're a great guy, Kyuhyun. I'm sure he knows that too."


'Why are you doing this? This was your chance, stupid.'


Kyuhyun heard a sniff, "Are you crying?"


"No. Why would I cry?" Jongwoon defended, looking away.


Kyuhyun stood up and went in front of Jongwoon. He was going to look at Jongwoon's face but Jongwoon shielded himself with his arms.


"You are" Kyuhyun said with amusement laced in his voice.


He managed to grabbed both of Jongwoon's wrists and saw a tear falling from his eyes. 
Kyuhyun started laughing, "Why are you crying?" 


'because I would rather see you smile.'


Kyuhyun let go one of Jongwoon's wrist and used his thumb to wipe Jongwoon's tears.


"Ryeowook was right about you. You're kind but a bit weird." Kyuhyun said with a genuine smile on his face.