Closer

All it takes is a smile from you

Jongwoon debated whether he was going to the library or not. He was still embarrassed about what happened last time. It wasn't true that his friend cancelled on him, he doesn't even have anything to do that day. He even cried in front of him. He was too lame. But it's also not good to not show up because he's the one who asked for help in his math.


Jongwoon decided to go. He just hopes that nothing would ever be added on Kyuhyun's bad impressions of him anymore. He went to their usual table and Kyuhyun was already there. Jongwoon greeted him shyly, still clueless on how he should act around the other.


"How are you?" Kyuhyun greeted and handed him a juice box, "Here. As thanks for last time."


Jongwoon was a bit surprised but gladly took the juice. "You didn't have to. You're already doing so much by teaching me."


Kyuhyun shook his head, "I really felt better after talking you. I just don't know what you like so, I just got you an apple juice."


Jongwoon smiled and put it in his bag, "Apple juice is fine." 


"You're not going to drink?"


"We're not allowed to eat in the library."


Kyuhyun gave him a mischievous smile, "It's fine. I'll cover you, switch places with me."


Jongwoon just laughed at Kyuhyun's idea. "Let's just start or the library will close with us having done nothing."


Jongwoon went home that day feeling giddy. He stared at the juice box that Kyuhyun gave him and wondered if he should drink it.  He knows it was given to him to drink but, he just wanted to treasure it. It ended up being displayed on his desk and every time he sees the juice box, he would feel butterflies in his stomach.


After the playground/ramen incident, Kyuhyun actually acted nicer in a way. Jongwoon can say that they were sort of friends now. He also doesn't give him dirty looks when he's being friendly with Ryeowook. But every time Kyuhyun hears about Ryeowook's girlfriend, his mood noticeably goes downhill. Jongwoon didn't like it one bit. If only he could cover Kyuhyun's ears whenever Ryeowook mentions his girlfriend, he would gladly do it.


Their study session continues in the library every Friday and the air around them is much more comfortable than when they started. Sometimes they would even stop their lesson to talk about random things.


"You're kidding." Kyuhyun commented on Jongwoon's story.


"It's true. The turtle approached me then it suddenly cried." Jongwoon insisted.


"You know that they were just shedding excess salt through their eyes, right?"


"But, it looked so sad."


"Why do you like turtles so much?"


"I just think it would be good to have one as a pet."


"Do you even know how to take care of turtles?"


"I'll learn. Should I name it after you if I adopt one?"


Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, "please don't."


"It would be cute. I'd call it kyu-kyu"


"I beg you, stop." Kyuhyun sounded annoyed but Jongwoon saw the small smile that remained on Kyuhyun's face after he said that. Little, it may be, it was enough for Jongwoon to feel a hundred times happier.