Like a star

The Day We Meet Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryeowook feels a warm summer breeze on his skin. A light blowing wind, like soft touches from small gentle hands. Having his eyes closed and face up to the midnight sky, he's lying on a flowers field. It's the end of August. Blossoms are dancing in the air and it smells like... peonies? In August? He opens his eyes hesitantly. Just to see... nothing. Just a dark landscape at midnight. He's all alone on the wide field, what gives his heart a bang. 

His delicate arms wrap around his own torso, while tears sting in his eyes. Why is it always so hurtful to open them. Biting his plump - from kisses swollen - lips, he believes that he can still taste another pair on them, which is fitting so perfectly on his own.

Looking up into the purple blue night sky, millions of beautiful shinning sparkles glowing down on him. As if they want to sooth him with their friendly shimmering. Clam him down and promising that everything will gonna be alright, as long they're watching over him. It feels like that the pretty stars are whispering to the young man, say they'll protect him until the end of time. 

Taking a closer look, he realizes that the diamond like glitter on the dark blue sky is part of a mysterious starring pair of orbs, belonging to two eagle shaped eyes, watching from above, down on his petite body. And that they for real, had never left him. Instead they were always wandering through the night, like stars at the deep blue sky, waiting for Ryeowook to find them.

It is Sunday on a fine spring day and Ryeowook loves it to sleep in. He always spent his weekends like that as student. But as a grown man he has work to do on Saturdays, at least half a day. So Sunday mornings are sacred to him. And everyone knows that!

Try to interrupt him and you will regret it! As tiny as he looks like - for a fine grown man - he could be very fiery and his tantrums are notorious. Even Kyuhyun is a bit afraid of a furious Ryeowook, sometimes. And normally he didn't dare to , when cutlery are close by.

Obviously that's the reason why his idiotic friends made Donghae calling him at Friday noon. To let him know that Changmin had the brilliant last minute idea, requesting all his buddies to come and see him at Sunday morning for breakfast. 

The dorks know very well that he wouldn't say no to his favorite hyung, and anyone else would have been kicked for it. But with Donghae on the phone he just wailed like a whiny 5 years old. 

"You can try to go to bed earlier on Saturday." Donghae suggested with all his best intentions.

"Are you kidding me?"

"I really mean it. Stop overworking yourself, Wookie." Donghae pleaded in his soft tone, but it's then, when the young korean heard muffled voices in the background. "The jerks are with you, right?" Ryeowook growled indignantly and Changmin took over the line to whine into his ear, "Wookie, please! It really means a lot to me. The gang isn't complete without you." 

"Why it has to be for breakfast? Can't we meet for lunch?"

"Siwon has to meet his father for lunch?"

"Then make him cancel it! He can meet him for dinner!" The small adult barked into his phone. It was clear that his normally very smart friend had no clue what to answer to his angry hyung, and so Donghae was back to the other end of the call. "Wookie, be a darling and do him the favor. I don't know why he wants to see us out of the sudden, but it seems very important to him. He has his reasons for sure." The soothing voice lured him. "And he will treat you your favorite cocoa bomb." The kind man chuckled what means Changmin must had whispered to him. "Ok," Ryeowook said with puffed cheeks, "But I really hope for him this is an emergency, otherwise I will grill him. Alive." 

-

In that case it isn't a wonder that the cute looking man gets up in a bad mood this morning. All grumpy and sulking, while brushing his teeth and doing the morning routine to his face. Chooses his clothings with a pout, and huffs as he receives a wake up call from Donghae to reminds him about their get together with their friends. As if he is a baby.

Because of all the frustration that boils in that small body, Ryeowook nearly forgets his morning goodbye kiss to the cosmic print over his bed's headboard. That makes him panic in the first moment, rushes back to the bedroom to sends a flying kiss to the poster with both open hands and leaving his apartment in a more grouchy mood. 

-

Actually he really acts like a petulant baby, because Ryeowook is ten minutes late intentionally just as a matter of principle, to show the others how much he is against the idea to meet at 9 o'clock on Sunday morning.

"I hope the reason why you asked us all to come here - at this inhuman time - is important, otherwise I'll have to eat you." Is the first what Ryeowook grumbles as he enters the little coffee shop, where the gang used to meet regularly, and plops on a seat next to Changmin.

Thankfully the others were clever and witty enough to order a sweet drink for Ryeowook, before he had arrived and blessed them with his sour face. They all know sugar was always the universal remedy to lift Ryeowook’s mood. In hope to distract the little grumpy man for a while, they made a big cup of hot chocolate, in extra cream and cocoa powder on top, waiting for him at the last free seat around the table.

His sweet tooth was what finally led Ryeowook to his profession. Most of the people might thought he would become a make-up artist or stylist. But no. As talented as he may be with eyeliner and brushes, Ryeowook had always been a creative guy and his love for sweets combined with that creativity made him a very talented confectioner over time. The little sugar addict proved that he could also create little masterpieces with fondant, paste or creams. He started his own business a few years ago, became very successful and all this he does with lots of love and joy.

Ryeowook takes a sip of his now lukewarm drink, while he tries to listen to the lively and loud voices of his friends. He off the sweet cream from his lips and looks sequentially at everyone who's sitting with him. 

The main characters of his college gang have stayed in touch until that day. Each of them grew from a college boy to a fine man and build their own career.

Looking to his left, there is Siwon sitting besides Ryeowook and stabs a piece of cheesecake with a little fork. The charming man with the charismatic dimple smile did what his father wanted and became a lawyer in daddy's firm. But he is good in what he's doing, because he always had this strong sense of justice. Moreover, his tailoring suits wearing friend is a brilliant speaker, Ryeowook can imagine him being damn serious and formally with audiences. And probably Siwon is the only one he knows, who likes to do paperwork.

Next to Siwon is Hyukjae complaining that a certain someone is stealing all the strawberries from his plate. Hyukjae had always been a very talented dancer. Classical and freestyle. Though his parents wished for him to be something more representative, the ambitious guy took all the money his parents had saved for his academic career and bought a small dance studio. And although his parents complained for a while, he is happy with his decision to open a dancing school. Nowadays he gives hip-hop workshops for kids and teens, or Salsa and other standard dances as evening courses for the elderlies.

Hyukjae's other half, Donghae, slurps something in a disgusting green. Obviously a smoothie consists of spinach, cucumber, and other very healthy stuff, Ryeowook is sure Donghae's might the only one who drinks that voluntarily. Besides being a health junkie, Ryeowook’s best friend became an amazing photographer. What just started as a hobby in high school, tuned into a talent of capturing the tiniest and sometimes unspectacular moments in life with his camera and put them in awesome photos. And Donghae's a phenomenal storyteller with his pictures. 

The photographer and the dancer became a couple in their second summer after college, with a lot drama involved. Donghae had a crush on Hyukjae since forever, but the latter was too blinded to see through every of Donghae's actions, that the very emotional one of this couple needed some drastic methods to made the other understand. Donghae was about to go insane, back then.

To Donghae's left is Kyuhyun dipping a chocolate bar in his milkshake, while chit chatting with the others. It looks like as if he's trying to melt that thing in his cold drink. And he was the one, who graduated with honors from their college. Kyu the smart became an IT specialist for cyber security. Ryeowook didn't dare to have any doubts on the taller's skills, was it always Kyuhyun who hacked any phone or email passwords, when they had forgotten about them. But in his company they all think that the gaming brat is a strict and serious man, what makes the petite confectioner always laugh. 

Finally, between Kyuhyun and Ryeowook sits Changmin with a double sandwich on his plate. A bowl of fruits and a chocolate lava cake also decorate his table set. It's well-known by his friends, this is just his first round of breakfast. Yes, this bro has a stomach like a blake whole, then big brains need to be fed with a lot energy. Changmin has always been a genius with languages and became a translator for a book publisher. The funny thing is, when he gets drunk he starts to switch back and forth between three different languages. And the higher his alcohol level climbs, he even sings like that.

But as silly and loud they're always be, and as often as they tease and nag on another, they have always supported and been there for each other. 

Ryeowook is still hanging in his thoughts and the cream off his lips absent-minded, as Kyuhyun's voice brings him back to reality. "Now that our group is complete, and the little cupcake had enough sugar to tolerate us for the moment, you can tell us why you wanted us all here." The extraordinary gamer asks his best friend and nibbles on his straw. Changmin chews and swallows a bite of bread, as five pairs of curious eyes watch him. "What's wrong? Spill it what's going on?" Kyu expects an immediate answer.

The youngest among them is looking a bit nervous through the row of faces of each of his friends - one by one. Then he holds his breath for a second just to let out, "I'm getting married." Changmin says it a bit shyly but with a very proud shimmering in his eyes and a collective "Whaaat?" echoes from each mouth around the table, followed by several cheerings and congratulations.

"Wait, how long have you guys been dating? A year?" Kyu asks in surprise with blinking eyes. "Two!" The soon-to-be groom corrects him and takes another bite from his sandwich. "I always thought the both of us will end up at the same retirement home." The computer specialist wails like a toddler, what seduces Hyukjae to mock him, "Don't worry, we'll visit you on the weekends." And soon a collective laughter circles the table.

Hearing the news turns Ryeowook's mood from grumpy to sweetie, and he forgets that he originally was mad at his voracious friend the moment he get up this morning. So he pulls the sleeve of the man to his right and asks cutly into the loud and chaotic round, "Changmin-ah, would you let me create the wedding cake for you?"

Before the chewing guy could answer, Hyukjae is faster, "Do us all a favor," he nags and sips on his strawberry shake, "Don't put any glitter on this cake, just because you think it's magic." A groan runs through the row of friends and the smaller tries to kick the sassy grinning dancer under the table, but his legs are too short. Thank God for his best friend Donghae, who gives his lover a slap on the back of his head, "Sometimes you're such an idiot, Hyukjae!" The latter howls as if the handsome man next to him really hurted him, but Donghae ignores it and focusing his eyes on his tiny best friend, "Don't listen to that fool, Wookie. Everything you create is an amazing masterpiece." He encourages him with a sweet optimistic smile that got mirrored by the smaller man with blushy cheeks, "Thanks Hae!"

He looks to the side where the gluttonous taller sits, "If you let someone else bake your wedding cake, I will stop talking to you. Forever!" Wookie pouts. It's the annoying voice of Kyuhyun who's whispering over to Changmin, "Chose wise my friend. Maybe this will be the only chance you ever get!" Hearing the teasing words makes Ryeowook trying to kick after Kyu under the table, but again, his legs are to short and the silly other ends up giggling. 

Changmin ignores all the sassy comments towards Ryeowook, "I would be honored. Thank you, Wookie." Says the younger with a smile and everyone could see the touching shine in the soon-to-be grooms eyes.

"Why you're so hyper, Wookie?" Siwon asks while finishing his cheesecake, "It's not the first time you make a wedding cake."

"Sure. But it's the first time I make it for a friend. And that's why it's extra special." He says with a proud and cute face what makes Changmin so flattering that he needs to hug the little friend next to him very tight, and thanks him again, so Ryeowook giggles in joy.

Suddenly Hyukjae has an idea, "Hey, why don't you let Donghae take the wedding pictures for you?" It is Donghae who opens his eyes wide and almost chokes on his smoothie, "Hyuk I never took pictures of a wedding."

"And I always wondered why! You're a great photographer!" The dance coach puts his arm around his love one, proudly, and Ryeowook nods in agreement, "That's right, Hae. You're pictures are awesome." Changmin hurries to add encouragingly, "It would be amazing if you could take our wedding pictures. To be honest, I'm more comfortable with my friends involved within the wedding preparations, than any strangers."

"In that case, the wedding album will be my gift for you." Donghae agrees with a gentle smile and little blushy cheeks. "Ok then, what about I let you and your soon-to-be wife use my studio for dance lessons?" Hyukjae suggests, his charming gummy smile stretches the round face, but Kyu burst out into laughter, "To let him breakdance in a tux?"

"Hey, I'm also mastered in classical dance. You maron!" Hyuk barks back offended and Donghae gives the mischievous dongsaeng a kitty punch. Changmin ignores his best friend and beams hearing Hyukjae's offer, "You guys are the best!"

Within that happy moment Siwon is nervously checking his watch, "Guys, I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I have to go."

"Oh, now?" Donghae sounds a bit sad while Hyukjae is nagging, "You're no fun."

"I'm sorry. I promise next time is on me."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter