DAY 5

FOUR WORDS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yesung smiled at the thought of last night. He watched Yua eating in front of him. The ahjumma is also smiling, occasionally glancing at them both.

Yua’s face is noticeably clearer than usual and her eyes; the change in her eyes is much more pronounced.

Last night, when he was about to sleep, he heard Yua’s soft knock. He scrambled out of the bed in an instant and sat near the wall. He couldn’t be sure but he imagined Yua back hugging the thin wood between them, waiting for him to sing.

And so, he did. Thrice.

He did a mini concert for an audience he couldn’t see. It was worth it, seeing her now.

“Jang Hyuk is going to come today. We will boat to the next island. They caught a giant tuna. You two want to come?” The ahjumma asked, eyes specially focused on Yua’s reaction.

“I’ll come if Yua say yes.” Yesung said sheepishly.

To their surprise she nodded.

Yesung and the caretaker lady glanced at each other, both stifling their smiles in case Yua notice and change her mind.

The ahjumma cleared . “Okay. Bring a hat.” Then she stood up to stack a picnic basket.

Yesung glanced at Yua. She is eating quietly. Not a care in the world. As usual, so very Yua.

 

 

“This is amazing!!” Yesung exclaimed, removing the sunglass off his face. He watched the sea foam like a child in wonder as their speed boat slash through the water. He wishes Jongjin could see this. They never ride a boat when they go at a beach for vacation. Now that he thinks of it, weird. Am I that boring?

Yua is calmly sitting, stopping her hat from being flown away by the wind from time to time. He admires her calmness. If possible, she looked even more serene. He suddenly felt embarrassed and let his camera fall to his chest.

“Yua, are you okay?” He shouted.

She just looked at him. The corner of twitching a little. If that is her version of a smile, he’ll take it.

When they reached the island, Yua didn’t even need help alighting the boat. She slid off to the shallow water unhinged while Yesung splashed loudly as he fell.

I am so embarassing.

The ahjumma and her son went straight to the group of cottages at the shore, Yesung and Yua following closely behind them.

“Did you really catch a big tuna this time?” Jang Hyuk asked excitedly.

“Of course!!” One of the fishermen answered with that rural accent he only hears in the movies. “Ei, it almost took our boat down. We thought it was a shark.” Laughter ringed all over the cottage.

Ahjumma bent to inspect the fat fish. It was massive and still moving.

“Whoa, it’s really huge.”

“Is it your first time seeing such a big catch son?” The oldest of the men asked him.

“Ah, yes. Only saw those on YouTube vlogs.”

“Yutublags? Where is that?” The ahjussi asked.

“Oh.” Yesung scratched his neck. He stole a glance at Yua. He isn’t one hundred percent sure but he swear he just saw Yua stop herself from giggling. “Ahm, that’s not a place. It’s a website on the phone where you can watch videos.”

“Ah.” The younger crowd laughed at him. “Aigoo. You are so clueless.” The ahjumma chuckled. “Hurry up and give me some belly. We don’t have all day.”

As the men work on the tuna, the ahjumma led them to an empty cottage. “Wait for me here. I will just go visit my aunt. I won’t be long. Here’s a basket in case you two get hungry.”

Then off she went to the direction of the trees before they could frame a protest.

Yesung glanced at the woman beside him. She is obviously in h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter