DAY 2

FOUR WORDS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ugh.” His groans filled the cold room. He didn’t even notice the dark sky outside the window. His mind is focused on the intense throbbing assaulting his temple.

“This is that girl-ghost-whatever’s fault.” He couldn’t sleep last night. Despite the endless games and movies he watched on his phone, sleep just wouldn’t come. “Why did I listen to Jongjin. I should be at home playing with Kkoming and Melo; comfortable, fed. Not with this ing headache.”

He went downstairs massaging his temple.

“You woke up late today. It’s nice when it rains.” The caretaker lady smiled. “Hurry up and eat then sleep again if you want. Looks like it will rain all day.”

If she only knew.

Yesung said thanks, digging into the food in an instant. He is famished. He was afraid to go out of the room last night.

Speaking of, is she going to laugh at me if I ask about…

He looked at the ahjumma. She’s busy washing pans. “Ahjumma…”

“Hmm?”

“Can I ask something?”

“Oh? Do you need toiletries? We have extra at the stockroom.” She answered, still not looking at him.

“No. I… Nevermind.”

She looked at him at last. “What is it son?”

“Do you believe in ghosts?” He cringed at the sound of his voice asking that question aloud.

“Aish, you are a city boy and you believe such nonsense.” The ahjumma gently laughed, turning back to the faucet.

Geez.

“I know it sound stupid. It’s just that, last night…” He scratched his head. “I saw a white lady at the beach. Isn’t that what they are called? I tried to talk to her thinking she was lost or something but she just turned and stared at me with her soulless eyes.” Yesung blurted out, involuntarily shivering with the memory.

“A white lady?” The ahjumma must be thinking he is full on wacko now.

“Yeah. She has long hair, refused to speak and—”

“Ahh. You must have seen Yua.”

Huh? Yua? Is that a mythical creature?

“Yua?”

“I forgot to tell you about her. She’s the lady renting the room beside you.”

Lady? Renting? The room beside me?

“She’s human?”

“Aigoo. Of course, she’s human.” There’s no mistaking, the ahjumma is trying hard not to laugh. “Is this why you slept late? Did you scare yourself because of Yua?”

“Ahjumma, you’re not joking right?”

“Why would I be joking? Just wait, it’s raining she will go out soon.”

“But why didn’t she answer me last night? I even told her I rent this house.” He felt stupid and above all, embarassed.

“She doesn’t speak. She doesn’t like talking to anyone. She just…. Just let her be.” The caretaker sighed.

Huh?

“But why?” He asked, the cup of coffee on his hand suspended mid-air.

“I don’t know either. Just don’t bother her. You will only be here for a week anyway.”

“How about her?”

“She came here 8 months ago with a strange request not to be disturbed in any way. Pays in cash. Never left.” The ahjumma explained, shoulders raised.

“Oh.” Yesung doesn’t know how to respond to that. He sipped his coffee instead and as he looked at the rainy sky outside his curiosity about this lady named Yua piqued.

 

 

Yesung started picking on his thumb. Even games are boring him. “Why didn’t I bring enough movies. Should have brought DVDs.”

Here he is again and his attention span problems. He really can’t sit still without doing anything.

“This is stupid.” His mood dipped even darker at the sound of the thunder. The sky is angry. He adjusted on his seat to look outside. There is something appealing with the way the ocean waves crash to the sand. He should be scared of the proximity to the sea in such gloomy weather but at the same time, upon staring, the picture is inviting.

He shook his head. “This is really stupid.”

He looked at the window again as another lightning struck, illuminating-

Yesung’s head snapped back so hard in his haste to look at the woman slowly going down the stairs. The ahjumma is right, the lady, Yua, her name is Yua, really got out of her room to go outside. Wait. Outside? In this weather?

Yua stopped at the foot landing, the spot and looked at the window.

God. She is so beautiful.

Yesung sat transfixed at the pale woman in front of him.

Both of them unmoving, speechless at the impressive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter