Fifth Gear

Bad Girls

“ARE YOU READY!!!” Taemin screamed out, “The main event is only moments away! Esteemed guests and VIPS make sure to place your bets! After a long year away from the racing world, Jessica Jung has returned! She has been challenged by a new racer to the scene, Seulgi! Will this young gun be able to beat the living legend? Bets close with the drop of the scarf.”

Irene walked over to Taeyeon who was busy typing away on the computer checking Jessica’s engine, “So umm does Seulgi even have a chance?”

Taeyeon laughed, “Compared to this car, not a chance. I made her unbeatable.”

Irene nodded, “So I should put some money down on Jessica?”

Taeyeon stopped what she was doing and unplugged her computer, “I am not sure about that. My computer can’t account for human error. I can give Jessica all the tools to win but I can’t make her win. Seulgi looks nervous, maybe you should go over and cheer her up.”

Irene looked over to Seulgi who was standing next to her car, cutely sticking out her tongue, “What are you doing?”

Seulgi nearly jumped when Irene broke her train of thought, “W-what?”

“Never mind…are you ready?”

Seulgi smoothed her hand over the car, “I don’t know if my job is that important. You and Taeyeon are going to be doing all the work while Jessica and I go have fun.”

Irene laughed, “I guess but you are facing off against Jessica Jung…she seems to be a huge deal.”

Seulgi smirked, “Until now.”

Irene reached in her pocket and handed Seulgi a small bear keychain, “Umm it isn’t much but I wanted you to know I didn’t steal this.”

Seulgi smiled happily at the small token, “Is this to bring me luck?”

Irene shrugged her shoulders, “It looks like you.”

Seulgi hooked the animal on the rear-view mirror, “It is cute.”

Coughing, Irene took a step back, “Anyway…kick some .”

Tightening her gloves, Seulgi smiled, “I will.”

Irene shut the car door for Seulgi as the later drove off towards the starting line.

“The moment you all have been waiting for!! Racers rev your engines!”

Seulgi watched as Jessica pulled up beside her, letting the thunderous roar of her engine drawn out the sound of hers.

“Racers! On your mark!”

A beautiful model walked between the two cars and stood in front of them with a scarf.

“Get ready!”

Holding up the scarf, the girl smiled at the two women.

Seulgi took one last glance at Jessica who gave her a playful wink.

“Go!”

Smoke filled the air as the burning of rubber launched the two cars off with the roar of the crowd gathering around. Irene quickly got to work carefully slipping behind the VIPs and taking their phones. Running back to Taeyeon, Irene threw the phones down.

“Damn you are fast.” Taeyeon smirked as she hooked up the first phone.

“How long will this take? I need to get these back in their pockets before they start checking.

“Like a minute per phone.” Taeyeon unplugged the phone and hooked up the next one, “See that one is all done.”

Irene looked back to the race, “They are approaching the first turn.”

Taeyeon pushed three phones back to Irene, “Give these back and take the next batch after the next betting cycle.”

Irene grabbed the phones to finish her job just as the racers made the first turn.

 

Jessica smirked seeing an opening to overtake Seulgi. She was letting the girl take the early lead but now Jessica wanted to take over the race. Shifting down, Jessica turned her wheel hard, nearly clipping the Jaguar as she slid past the other girl. Quickly shifting twice, Jessica sped past Seulgi.

“,” Seulgi swore seeing Jessica take the lead away from her effortlessly. Shifting again, Seulgi tried to catch up to Jessica but to no avail. Having this opportunity to drive against Jessica, Seulgi realized she had a lot to learn from her.

Instantly her ego dropped. Maybe she was only good at talking smack? Jessica was the real racer here and Seulgi felt no more than a common thief who liked to steal and race cars.

Shaking away her shame, Seulgi slammed on the clutch hard to shift into the next gear. She knew it was reckless going into the next turn at this speed but it was the only time Jessica would shift down. Holding her speed, she bit her lip waiting for the right moment to pull the e-brake and slid next to Jessica who was just as surprised to see her.

Finally realizing they had a real race, Jessica gave Seulgi a quick wink and shifted back into the lead.

Flying through the streets, the girls weaved between each other each trying to take the lead again at each turn. Jessica forgot how fun it was to compete. She only took the year off because she found the endless winning to be boring and she no longer needed the money to survive like when she first found her way into street racing. However, Seulgi was stirring something inside of her that she thought was buried in time. Maybe having Seulgi come into her life was the best thing to happen?

“Jessica, Seulgi can you hear me?”

Jessica and Seulgi were happy to hear Taeyeon’s voice, “Loud and clear.”

“Mission complete. Two more turns and you are to the finish line. Make sure to make a grand entrance so I can finish the hack.”

“Roger that.” Jessica smirked, “Seulgi I hoped you saved some of your best moves for last.”

Laughing Seulgi didn’t want to admit these were her best moves, “of course. I am full of surprises.”

“Good. Let’s give them an ending they will never forget.”

Jessica saw the second to last turn and took her lead over Seulgi with ease. For a second she thought Seulgi let her take that turn until she saw the other girl hot on her tail, slowly catching up although Jessica had her foot all the way down on the pedal.

It wasn’t long until the last turn showed up that lead into the garage where they started the race. Seulgi knew this was her chance to overtake Jessica for the win. Keeping her speed up, she waited until the right moment to use her e-brake. However, Seulgi noticed something a little off as they entered the turn. Seulgi knew Jessica’s timing for the turns pretty well by now and it was unusual that Jessica would start her slow-down for the turn this early. Even before the turn, Seulgi started to pass Jessica and took the lead long before she released the break and slid into the finish nearly a car length in front of Jessica.

She won.

Seulgi looked into her mirror at Jessica who came in right beside her.

Still in a state of shock, Seulgi didn’t leave her car even though the whole crowd started to gather around her car to congratulate her on the win. Most looked to be VIPs who took the risky bet and probably made a ton of money off her win, but Seulgi knew something was off. There was no way she should have beaten Jessica by that much.

Finally opening the door, Irene flew into her arms, “Omg! You actually beat her!”

Seulgi was a little flustered having Irene so close to her, “Ah yea…about that. I need to talk to Jessica.”

Irene didn’t let go and whispered in her ear, “ is about to hit the fan. Taeyeon activated the hack.”

Suddenly a whole bunch of beeping from phones filled the room and the happiness on the faces of all the VIPs turned sour.

“Someone just stole all my money!”

“Me too!”

“What the hell!”

“I bet millions! I am going to ing kill whoever touched my money.”

Seulgi and Irene joined Taeyeon by the computer, “Ready for the grand finale?”

All the girls looked over at Han Woo who had a much different face than the others. Boarding the state of shock and horror, Han Woo saw his phone beep like crazy. Not wanting the others to know, he tried to turn off the sound but it seemed the other VIPs already caught onto the attention he was getting from the phone. Gathering around, someone swiped his phone.

“It is him!”

“I swear I didn’t do anything!”

Another man looked through the phone, “He is stealing all our money.”

Han Woo fell to his knees, “I beg of you, I am being set up!”

“No one steals from me and gets away with it.” In the snap of his fingers, a black car pulled up and the gangster threw Han Woo into the car speeding off.

The girls high-fived each other with their success, “What about all the illegal trade deals we found on that hard drive?”

“I already tipped off the authorities but I am not sure if they are going to find him alive after all this, but at least you girls are safe. He won’t be trying to find you anymore.”

Irene and Seulgi engulfed Taeyeon in a huge hug, “Thank you so much unnie!”

Taeyeon, not used to intimacy shook the girls off, “yea yea no problem. Anything to keep our young kids safe.”

Just then Jessica strolled in, “Did I miss anything good?”

“Just some dudes put Han Woo into an unmarked car.”

Jessica raised her brow, “Oh well then he might be too busy looking for you girls. I guess this means you two will be on your way?”

Seulgi shrugged, “I guess.”

“Or Seulgi could stick around here now that she has a little bit of a reputation for beating Jessica.” Irene suggested.

Seulgi looked over to Jessica, “On that last turn did you—”

Clapping, Jessica cut Seulgi off, “Oh I like that idea. I might have to race again to win back my honor.”

Taeyeon laughed as she shut off her computer, “Why not leave the racing to the kiddies? Aren’t we getting too old for this?”

Jessica shook her head, “Not at all. This feels like a new beginning.” Throwing Seulgi some keys, “If you are going to stick around, you might need a car suited for your style of driving.”

Seulgi clicked the unlock lighting up a car in the back of Taemin’s lot, “Jessica…”

Giving her one last wink Jessica followed Taeyeon into the car, “I look forward to our next race.”

Irene snatched the keys from Seulgi’s hands, “Hey! That is my gift!”

Irene examined the keys, “They give you a cool car and I get nothing?! You know half this car is mine for all the hard work I did.”

Seulgi rolled her eyes, “How do you even know if I am staying here?”

Irene pulled Seulgi closer and whispered over her lips, “Who said I would let you leave?”

Seulgi hummed into the kiss completely lost for words. Maybe there was no need to run away anymore?

 

~END~