Part 2

Every Night with You

She was trying to be smart and read a book, but it was only revealing how boring she found reading. Turning another page, she mentally marked another personal flaw in a never-ending list. Not well-read, check. She looked at the laptop across the room playing lofi. Why were those cartoon girls in the lofi playlists always staring out a window? What were they looking for? Or maybe what were they looking at. Outside of her own window, she saw the moon resting in the sky, half full. She felt half full, too.

With a sigh she mechanically turned another page and looked at the clock. Four in the morning. She swore that the last time she looked at the clock is was only two. Maybe reading was actually a good way to pass time. At two she had gotten a text message from him. He said he would be back around 4:30. She got up and walked into the kitchen. After washing some peaches, she poured water into the tea kettle. Once these little tasks were done, she returned to her book on the couch.

The sound of the door keypad made her close the book again. The clock showed 5am. She quickly made it over to the tea kettle and started it. Pouring some honey into a cup, she set it beside the kettle and then returned to the couch and opened the book again. He soon rounded the corner.

“Good morning,” he said in a husky voice and leans down to kiss her forehead. Although awkward, she gently grabbed his face and pulled him so that he kissed her lips. “Have you taken this move from spiderman or something?” He said while standing up again.

“No, from this book I’m reading. The man kisses the girl upside down while they’re on a picnic.” She said while closing the book and sitting up.

The tea kettle turns off and he takes notice. He takes a few steps into the kitchen. “Did you do this for me?” He turns around and asks, pointing to himself in the chest.

“Well, I’m not the one who likes honey water,” was her reply. She stood up and followed him into the kitchen.

He poured the hot water into the mug while she reached around him to grab a peach. She then went to sit on the edge of the kitchen table. Stirring his drink with a small spoon, he turned around and leaned on the counter.

“Why do you treat me so good?” He asked, setting the spoon down on the counter behind him. His gaze was sincere.

“What time will your driver be here tomorrow, I mean, today?” She asked, deciding to ignore his question. It couldn’t be answered simply anyways.

“Nine,” was his reply after a sip of the honey water.

“Aren’t you working too hard?” She set the peach down without taking a bite.

“Excuse me, little miss. That’s two questions from you when you haven’t even answered my first question.” He bent his head and squinted his eyes in a serious, but joking manner, while slowly approaching her.

“Listen,” she said, pausing as he stepped into the space between her legs and set the cup down behind her, resting his arms on the table on either side of her. They were eye to eye. “Ugh, don’t look at me like that! I can’t think straight.”

“Look at you like what?” He lowered his voice and tried to catch her eyes when she looked away flustered. “Look at you like what?” he playfully repeated moving closer to her.

She would not stand for this teasing. She tried to get off of the table, but he placed his hands on her legs and she stopped. He moved his hands to grab the edges of her sweatpants’ pockets.

“Why are you so good to me?” He rephrased his earlier question.

She looked him in the eyes this time. “Because I want you to feel loved.”

He grabbed his chest and feigned pain. “Ow! You’re going to stop my heart with those cheesy lines!”

She playfully hit his chest. “You made me say it!” She tried to get off the table again, but this time he grabbed her waist. His face turned slightly serious.

“Say it again,” he turned his head down to look into her eyes.

“Come on! I prepared fruit; heated the water; set up your cup. Don’t force me to say it again!” She felt her face turning red and looked down.

He pulled her into a hug, her face in his chest. A yawn escaped from his mouth. She pulled out of the hug. “You should go to sleep soon. Go take a shower.”

He sighed, grabbed his mug, and took a sip. “Alright,” he said, stepping back from her before making his way to the bathroom.

“Are you going to take that drink into the shower?” She asked, laughing as she stood up from the table.

“Honey water and a hot shower. Sounds like a good combination to me.” He replied before closing the bathroom door.

Soon she heard the shower water running. Back in the living room, she moved her book from the couch to the coffee table and turned off the lights. In the bedroom she the humidifier and got into bed. Soon he was out of the bathroom and sliding into bed. He pressed his chest against her back. Moving the hair laying on her neck aside, he placed three kisses there.

“Sleep Jackson,” she said to chastise him.

“Okay, but face me for a second,” he whispered.

She turned around so that they were face to face.

“You know, I want to make you feel loved, too.” He said in the darkness. The small amount of light reflected in their eyes.

“Every day you choose me and that’s enough,” she said quietly.

“I want to show you in every way though. You stayed up until 5 in the morning and made me tea. It’s not equal,” he rebutted.

“Shhh,” she said, gently brushing his lips with her finger, “you look so tired. We should get some sleep before you have to leave.”

He sighed. “Tomorrow I’m really going to show you what my love is!” he claimed in a loud whisper. “But right now, my love is to obey your command to sleep.”

She pecked him on the lips. “Good,” she said and turned around again.

“I love you,” he whispered into her ear. Soon she could hear the steady breath of his sleep.