Part 1

Every Night with You

It was 2am and she could not sleep again. She hated it when this happened, which means she hated many nights out of the week. The room was lit only by a laptop screen, spreading a blue light over the room. She laid there half covered in a blanket. A video played that she did not care about. She felt like her insides were as dark and empty as the darkest corners of the bedroom. Scrolling through other video thumbnails, she switched to an asmr cooking video and checked Instagram on her phone. Nothing new. The video ended and she could not even recall what the food was. Then she heard the sound of the door keypad being pressed.

She knew he would be hot when he enters, so she got up to turn on the air conditioning before returning to wrap herself in a blanket on the bed. The click of the door opening reached her ears. A new asmr cooking video began to play automatically. She waited there in the bedroom, imagining him take off his shoes and place his wallet in the drawer by the door.

“Babe,” he called from the hallway.

“I’m in here,” she replied. His footsteps neared the bedroom.

“What are you doing there wrapped up in the blanket like that?” He laughed when he reached the doorframe. His face showed his exhaustion as he leaned on one side of the frame.

“I the a/c for you. You know how I get cold.”

“Cold? I still don’t understand how you can be so cold while I’m burning up,” he said, “which is my cue.” He then took off his t-shirt and threw it towards the laundry basket across the bedroom but missed. With an audible ‘aww’ he made his way to the bed. “Make some room for me.”

Scooting over, she also moved the blanket away to make a space for him. He sat on the bed and stretched his legs out the best he could.

“You’re home earlier than I expected. I thought you said the shoot would probably last until the morning,” she remarked, turning to lay on her side facing him.

“I thought so, too, but it turns out we’re all just so good at our jobs that it finished early.” He said, flashing an innocent smile.

“Hardworking, handsome, and so time efficient. How do you even exist?” She said with joking sarcasm.

“You’ll have to ask my mom and dad about that,” he replied playing along. He then took a big, tired breath. “I see you’re onto asmr. Must not be able to sleep. Come here, will you?” He requested, patting the space in between his legs.

She sat up, letting the blanket fall behind as she shifted to sit in front of him, still facing the laptop. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled them closer together. Resting his head in the crook of her neck, he breathed in the scent of her hair and sighed. She linked her fingers with his on her waist.

“Busy day?” She asked, although they both knew the answer.

“Yes,” he said resting his chin on her shoulder. She squeezed his hand.

“What was the best thing about today?” She questioned, hoping to see a shining glimpse into his work life.

“Right now, with you.”

“Come on! Besides right now,” she said, slightly laughing and turning to look at his face. He pulled his head away from her shoulder and searched the area where the wall meets the ceiling for an answer. She watched as he pulled in his lips.

“Hmmm. My interview went well today I think,” he answered finally, looking at her.

“I’m sure it was great. You’re always so charming anyways,” she said while fixing a bit of his hair that was sticking up at the top.

“Hey,” he said softly when she took her hand away.

“Hmm?” she replied, looking at his face again.

He put his hand on her face and slightly rubbed her cheek with his thumb. “I just wanna say thank you for being here.”

“Jackson, what are you even saying? You don’t have to thank me… Anyways, you told me to stay at your place,” she added as a joke.

“You know what I mean. I mean I’m thankful that you choose to be with me even though I can barely see you most of the time,” he explained.

With this, she turned to completely face him. “Hey. You know that doesn’t bother me. You in these moments is just enough for me.” She took his hand off her face and held it in both of her hands. “Tired, sleeply Jackson is my Jackson.” She leaned forward, putting her arms around his neck, and lightly kissed him.

He sighed though his nose. “Should we try to get some sleep then?”

“I think that’s a good idea,” she said while playing with his hair. “I can sleep now that you’re here.”

“One more kiss though,” he said and kissed her quickly.