Part 3

Every Night with You

She could hear the door code beep in her dream, but in the dream the sound was coming not from a door, but from a coffee machine. She was making coffee to stay awake.

A warm body entering the bed woke her up. Opening her eyes, she could see the sky turning the faintest light blue that warned of the sun rising. With an unconscious sigh she turned over in the bed to face him.

“I’m sorry I woke you up,” he said brushing a few strands of hair away from her face. She pulled herself closer to him and wrapped her body around his. He smelled like a fresh shower. He must have taken one while she was dreaming.

“I’m sorry that I wasn’t awake when you got home,” she muffled into his chest.

He began to her head. “Don’t be silly. You don’t need to stay awake until I come home. It’s way too late.”

“But it’s the only time I get to see you,” she said half-asleep. The half-awake part of her regretted saying that, as it would make him feel guilty.

He sighed but kept gliding his hand over her hair.

“Thank you for waking me up, even if you didn’t mean to,” she said before lifting her face towards his and saying “kiss” innocently.

He cupped the back of her head and gave her a soft kiss. She sleepily giggled and snuggled her head back into his chest, squeezing the arm and leg that were around his side.

He kissed the top of her head. Drifting into sleep, she could hear his breathing become steady and slow.