Part 7

Every Night with You

She was huddled in a blanket on the couch when she heard the door begin to beep. Groaning as she realized he would soon be entering, she pulled herself up with effort and grabbed all of the used tissues. She heard the door open as she stuffed all of the wadded tissues under the blanket. Laying back down and closing her eyes, she pretended to be asleep. His footsteps told her he had entered the living room. She heard him turn off the music playing on the computer and before he could cross the room to move her to bed, she sleepily opened her eyes.

“You’re back?” she asked in the most sleep-filled voice she could manage.

He answered her question affirmatively and suggested she should go to bed before he headed to the bathroom to take a shower. Once she heard the shower water running, she pulled herself off of the couch and tossed all of the tissues into the trash bin. Shivering, she wrapped the blanket tighter around her shoulders and shuffled to the bedroom. She had been sweating only a moment before. Despite her chill, she the air conditioner for him and pulled out a second blanket for herself. When she laid down she tried to overlap the blankets so that it did not look like she was using two. She closed her throbbing eyes and tried to go to sleep. However, sleep did not come, and she was left in limbo. Her shivers would not go away either.

In a vague haze she heard his footsteps into the bedroom, and she tried to stop her shivering. As he slid under a blanket her shivers had stopped.

“Are you awake?” he asked quietly. Her back was to him and she did not answer.

He moved closer to her. Leaning over her, he kissed her cheek but pulled away quickly. With a free hand he touched her forehead.

“You’re burning up,” he said.

She whined and turned a little to face him, “I didn’t want you to know!” Her voice came out as a child’s complaint.

“You’re sick? Did you go to the doctor?”

She shook her head. “I only started feeling bad a few hours ago. It was late already.”

“Baby, why didn’t you tell me? I could have at least gotten something for you on the way home,” he said anxiously and felt her forehead again. “You really feel hot.” His voice was full of concern. She shivered again. He sighed and got out of bed.

He the light and she winced at the sudden change. Her eyes strained to adjust to the light as he went to the kitchen. The cupboard rattled and the sound of water pouring into a glass reached her ears. Back in the bedroom he asked her to sit up. He gave her a few pills and then the glass of water. Without question she swallowed them all.

“Drink the rest of the water, too, please,” he requested, sitting on the side of the bed to watch her do as he asked.

“I’m sorry,” she said before taking another sip.

“Just tell me when you’re sick next time. You’re making me worried all of the sudden,” his eyebrows pinched together.

“I didn’t want to make you worried at work, too. That’s why I didn’t tell you. And I figured that when you came home you’d be tired, so I didn’t want to tell you then either. I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow anyways.”

He sighed and just looked at her.

After the cup was empty, he went back into the kitchen and then returned with another full glass. The cup was set on the table beside her. While he was over there, he also the humidifier. His finger quickly switched off the lights and he returned to bed. She laid back down and faced away from him, wary of breathing in his direction. Ignoring her precaution, he wrapped his body around her and pulled her close.

“Stop,” she said in a small voice, “you’ll get sick if you get too close.” She weakly tried to wiggle out of his grip, but her sickly strength was not nearly enough to move him away.

“Let me do this. I know you like to be held when you’re sick,” he said firmly and quietly behind her.

“But you’ll get sick, too,” she protested.

“Shhh,” he said before adding, “We’re sleeping in the same bed. If I’m going to get sick, I’m going to get sick a half a meter away or this close.”

“I’m sorry,” she said again.

“You’re only allowed to be sorry for not telling me earlier,” he replied, knowing that was not the reason she was apologizing. “You’re going to tell me as soon as you start feeling sick next time, right?” His voice was soft but commanding.

She mumbled her agreement as she was already slipping into a heavy sleep.