Part 4

Every Night with You

The door code beeps methodically sounded off and she was already waiting around the corner, ready to pounce. The click of the door opening was her cue. She jumped from behind the corner and landed in the middle of the hallway. Halfway opening the door, he slightly gasped, then covered his heart when he realized it was her.

“Ta da!” she said, holding up two hands full of facial masks.

“You scared me!” he said while entering the hallway.

“It’s spa night, remember?” There was extra excitement in her voice.

He did not speak as he took off his shoes. She felt a hint of worry.

“You don’t want to do spa night tonight?” she asked, dropping her hands slowly to her sides.

“Pamper me!” he shouted, throwing his arms out and raising his head up.

She laughed and he quickly crossed the space between them before picking her up and twirling her around. He stopped after one spin but did not set her down. He looked up at her.

“Should we get cleaned up first?” He raised his eyebrows.

“I took a shower earlier. You go ahead,” she replied. With this answer he moaned and put her down.

“I’ll go and get the snacks ready,” she called behind her as she walked into the kitchen. She did not want to stay there too long, or he might get the thought to pull her into the shower with him regardless of her previous bathing.

She heard the shower start as she opened the fridge. She pulled out the chilled tea and some fruit. After the fruit was washed and set into a glass bowl, she placed a few cookies on a small plate and brought the two dishes into the living room. Next, she brought two cups followed by the cold tea. Once the tea was poured, she headed towards the bathroom. She could hear the shower running still.

“Hey!” he called when she entered the steamy bathroom, “I thought you said you already took a shower.”

The glass of the shower was fogged, leaving only an outline of his body visible. She could see he was scrubbing his arms. She walked over to the sink and wiped away the steam that was collected on the mirror with a hand towel.

Without missing a beat, she said, “I did. I just want to clean my face before we do the facemasks.”

She the water and wet her face. Pulling her facewash out of the mirror cupboard, she moved a small amount between her hands until it got foamy. Closing her eyes, she began to clean her face with the soap. She heard the shower water turn off and he opened the shower door. While pulling the towel from its bar, he brushed the towel across her side.

“Hey!” she squealed before adding, “Why do you come out of the shower while I can’t see you?”

“It’s payback for not wanting to join me,” he said. She could hear the teasing in his voice.

Seeing that she was done with the facewash, he leaned over and the water for her.

“Not too hot, please,” she told him. He wet his hand in the water and placed it on her arm. She could feel the temperature was just right. “Thank you,” she added.

“I’m gonna put on some clothes,” he said while leaving the bathroom.

In between rinsing her face with water, she said, “There’s some fruit and tea in the living room if you want some now.”

After drying her face, she went to the living room. He was sitting on the couch in loose pajama shorts, sipping a glass of tea and checking his phone.

“Any messages from your team?” She asked while bringing a large stack of sheet masks to the small table.

“Nope. Tomorrow I have to go to work at 10,” was his response. He locked his phone and set it down beside him on the couch.

“Which one do you want?” she asked and spread the sheet mask packets out like a fan on the table.

“Hmm, the rose one,” he said, grabbing a rose scented face mask.

“Here let me do it for you.”

He passed her the face mask packet and she opened it up. Leaning back on the sofa, he closed his eyes. She unfolded the mask and placed it on his face, smoothing out any of the air bubbles. He hummed for a moment and once the mask was set on his face, she leaned over and pecked him on the lips. He smiled; eyes still closed. Opening an aloe vera face mask, she went to the bathroom to place the mask on her face. Once she was done, she headed back to the living room. There was a faint snore coming from his tilted back head. She chuckled and shook her head. The mask needed to stay on for 15 minutes, so she decided to let him sleep until then.

She walked over to the desk and opened the laptop. Sitting down, she picked a lofi playlist and then opened photoshop. To pass the time she made a few edits on her current project. Soon the 15 minutes had passed. She went to the bathroom and pulled off her own mask. Patting in the remaining liquid, she went back into the living room. Leaning over him, she lightly grabbed the top of his facemask and slowly began to pull it off. She was trying not to wake him up, but he suddenly opened his eyes and grabbed her right wrist. He took in a deep breath before realizing where he was. He loosened the grip on her wrist and relaxed again.

“Did I fall asleep?” He asked as she pulled off the rest of the face mask.

“Only for about 15 minutes,” was her reply as she threw his face mask into the trash.

“I’m sorry, babe,” he pouted on the couch behind her.

“Come on; it’s nothing,” she said as she turned around.

He patted his lap for her to sit on. When she sat, he wrapped his arms around her and looked up at her.

“This was supposed to be our time together,” he said and looked meaningfully into her eyes, “I’m sorry.”

She smiled and leaned into his chest. “Don’t worry about it, babe. You’re just tired. Anyways, I guess spa night is just that relaxing,” she smirked and pulled back from him again, “and to continue spa night, how about a shoulder massage?”

“I’ll give you one first. Sit in front of me,” he stated.

She stood up and then sat between his legs. He moved her hair to one side and started to massage her shoulders.

“You’re tense from hunching over that computer all day,” he said, pushing into a tight spot at the base of her neck. She tensed up but tried to relax again.

He massaged until the tense spots were all but gone and smoothed her hair all to one side again. Leaning forward, he kissed the crook of her bare neck.

“Here, move and I’ll do you,” she said as she turned to stand up. Instead he just wrapped his arms around her, locking her in place.

“Actually,” he kissed the back of her head and hesitated before saying, “we had a masseuse come in today when we went back to the company office.” Then he was silent.

“What? You already had a massage?” She tried to turn around to look at his face, but he held her facing forward.

“One of our managers planned it,” he began, “and to be completely honest, I forgot about our spa night.”

She said nothing.

“But it’s not like I didn’t want this tonight, or that I tried to forget. This is really nice, you know,” he quickly added. She was silent for a moment. He pressed his lips into the crook of her neck and kept them there.

“Let go of me,” she said in an even tone. He released his arms and she stood up. She grabbed her untouched cup of tea and walked into the kitchen. She poured the tea into the sink and rinsed out the cup. He remained sitting on the couch, watching her.

“Babe,” he said as she passed him to go into the bedroom. He reached out his arm to grab her, but she walked around it.

She closed the bedroom door behind her, the humidifier, and then got into bed. Her back was facing the door and she clutched a spare pillow. The door opened slightly at first, letting in a stream of yellow light. He could see her figure under the sheet. Opening the door wider, he entered and then closed the door behind him again. He picked up the sheet and slid into the bed, laying on his side facing her.

“Hey,” he said quietly, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to forget. I shouldn’t have forgotten.” He moved closer to her but did not touch her. “Don’t go to sleep without talking to me.”

“That massage… It wasn’t some type of special massage, was it?” She finally asked.

“What do you mean ‘special message’?” he asked.

“You didn’t do anything, you know, extra with the masseuse?” her question was quiet.

“What?” he laughed, “No, no. Nothing like that happened. It was only a massage. I swear. Is that what you’re mad about?”

She turned around to face him, but just looked straight into his chest. “You were two hours late. Something could have happened in that amount of time.” Her voice betrayed the tears waiting inside.

“Babe,” he said as he her arm, “nothing like that happened. In fact, it was all filmed. That’s why it took so long.”

“Why didn’t you say that in the first place?” she asked with more fire.

“Well, I wasn’t sure why you were mad at me. I thought you were mad because I forgot about spa night.”

“I’m not so mad about that. How can I expect you to remember when you’re so busy?” she got quiet again.

He sighed. “But I should have remembered, that’s the thing. There are four things I should keep in mind: my work, my mom and dad, and you.” He placed his hand under her chin and pulled it up so he could look in her eyes. “And I would never do anything with a masseuse!” He claimed with a mischievous smile.

She laughed, but added as a chastisement, “You better not do anything with anyone else, not just a masseuse!”

He kissed her quickly. “Of course not. I’m yours.” His gaze was filled with fire. He pulled her closer until her body was pressed against his. Her hands were on his bare chest. He kissed her again but longer this time. His hands moved around her body.

She pulled back and said, “you should sleep. You have work tomorrow.”

“I have work every day,” he said with an impatient sigh, “and I get to go in late tomorrow.” He leaned in but paused to make sure she was okay. With a smile, she closed the gap and crushed her lips and body into him.