New Beginnings

I'm Not Alone Anymore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  The sound of keys frantically jingling in a lock echoed through the dark apartment before a tired and soaked Sojung emerged from the rain, the box of kittens securely nestled under her arm. It was at this moment that the realization of her situation finally kicked in. She had never owned a kitten, much less five of them. Her parents had never allowed her to have one, only gifting her stuffed animals instead every Christmas or birthday. Were there special things she needed for them? What about food? It was almost the dead of night now. No pet store could possibly be open at the moment. And a online delivery wouldn't come until Monday at the earliest. 

  "Crap...." Sojung muttered to herself, placing the box down and pulling off her wet shoes. Thankfully she hadn't been wearing anything too flashy or expensive, just a simple brown cardigan with a black v-neck underneath, jeans and black sneakers to match. She never liked to show off her wealth like her family tended to, content with clothes that were comfortable, rather than fancy. Anything that would cause attention to be drawn to herself was out of the picture. It would only cause unnecessary problems.

  But that wasn't what she should be thinking about right now. There was more pressing things that she needed to be focused on. Five things, in fact.

  Right away, it was obvious that the ginger kitten was the most energetic of the group, its tiny paws gripping the side of the box in an attempt to climb out and free itself. The gray kitten just watched its companion with a tilted head, the other kittens working on cleaning each other's wet fur with their rough tongues. Before Sojung could react, the ginger kitten jumped up and pushed the box over, sending itself and the rest of the litter tumbling out of it with surprised squeaks. 

   "Oh for crying out loud. Are you trying to hurt yourself?" Sojung exclaimed before reaching down to attempt to scoop the naughty ginger kitten into her arms. But it was faster than she had been expecting.

   Once it had escaped the box, the ginger kitten took off running with a loud meow, determined to explore the new space that was now its home. The only kitten faster being the brown striped kitten, as it scurried over to the living room couch to hide underneath. The fluffy white kitten seemed content with innocently staring up at Sojung, both the gray and black kitten wobbling off in different directions.

It would have been a cute sight if Sojung's mind wasn't currently in panic mode. Is this what motherhood felt like? At least the screams of her new babies were cute and not terrifying and ear piercing like toddlers screams tended to be.  

  "Let's not go too far, okay?" Sojung stated with a firm tone, managing to at least gently catch and pick up the gray kitten. Strangely enough, the gray kitten didn't meow. In fact, it had been the only cat that had not let out a single cry the entire car ride home. Maybe it was just shy. 

    Letting a finger trace its soft fuzzy forehead, Sojung held the gray kitten securely before wandering off to close any doors that had been left open. She wasn't about to let one of the kittens make its way into the bathroom or bedroom and trap itself somewhere that it couldn't get itself out of. It wasn't like she could stop the kittens from being kittens.

They were welcomed to navigate around the living room and kitchen. Though, she quickly regretted that decision when the sight of the black kitten on top of the fridge came into view. 

"How did you even get up there?" Sojung yelled as she placed the gray kitten on top of the couch before running over to the kitchen, the white kitten continuing to watch silently from the living room floor as the ginger kitten came over to nuzzle against it affectionately. 

The black kitten let out a hiss at the approaching girl before continuing its exploration of the top of the fridge, tail confidently held high as it sniffed the various boxes of cereal placed around the top. Sojung let out a grunt of frustration as she tried to grab the kitten, thankful for the tall genes in her family for once. The black kitten immediately reacted and darted to the side, knocking a particularly full box of cereal off the refrigerator edge before landing gracefully with all four paws on the kitchen counter next to it. 

  The cereal fell and struck Sojung directly in the head, the blonde yelping in surprise and pain as the corner of the box made contact with her skin and then the floor. She stood still in shock, holding the spot that had been hit with open. Did that really just happen? Kittens tended to be cute and sweet, didn't they? Sure it was cute, but man, this one was certainly feisty. She would have to keep an even closer eye on it than the others. 

Well, as long as she was here, she might as well look for something to feed them with. But feed them with what? All she had were human meals, no cat food or anything in sight. 

   Rubbing the sore spot on her head, Sojung made her way over to her cupboards and fished out a medium sized metal bowl, running it under the faucet a few times before filling it up to the brim. She carried it over to where the white kitten remained, making sure to not get in the way of the black and ginger kitten's paths as they ran in circles around the room, playfully chasing each other in a cute game of cat tag. 

"Here. I don't have much but this should help you all get through the night at least." Sojung said as she placed the bowl on the floor, making sure not to spill any of the water on her carpet. 

  "I'll make sure to go to the store for food first thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter