Vulnerable

I'm Not Alone Anymore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Sowon could feel the sweat forming on her forehead, quickly moving to wipe it off with her hand before anyone could see it. A gentle squeeze was given to her arm, Umji sitting next to her quietly.

  They were both at the animal shelter, Sowon dressed in a more formal outfit than Umji. She had gotten the call to come in for an interview that morning, the head of the shelter program impressed with her good grades for the past several years and the mention that she had taken care of five kittens before. It had been hard to convince the girls that they all couldn't come with her, Umji the obvious choice thanks to how calm her energy was compared to Yerin or SinB. 

   The girls all had understood, thankfully, and each of them had been excited to help pick out a cute outfit for Umji to wear as well. Umji had seemed a bit overwhelmed by all the attention but she had allowed Eunha, Yerin and even SinB to help dress her again. She looked like a doll, her outfit consisting of a pretty pink sweater with a white skirt to match.

  Everyone had swooned over how cute Umji looked, Yuju even taking Umji's hair and braiding a single braid into it, with a blue butterfly hairpin to match. Sowon, on the other hand, looked elegant and powerful, a mature aura radiating off of her. The white dress shirt paired with a form fitting dark blue suit coat and slacks almost made Sowon look older than she was. The former kittens all had jaw dropped at the sight, Umji being the first one to complement how good the taller looked. 

"Kim Sojung?"

The call of her name brought her out of her memories, Sowon giving Umji's hand a encouraging squeeze before she stood up to finally start her interview.

"The staff up front said you can look around by yourself while I'm busy. Just don't leave the building, okay?" Sowon adjusted the butterfly hair clip that was pushing back some of Umji's hair. 

Umji had nodded, standing up and giving Sowon's cheek a quick peck before allowing her to leave. She watched the taller walk off with the manager, feeling nervous but the atmosphere that the shelter, and the people who worked there, gave off was able to calm her nerves. Where should she explore first? Yerin had mentioned that there were puppies but Sowon had said to be careful around the grown dogs that had been very loud. Joining the kittens and cats sounded like a better idea. 

  Peeking her head around the corner, Umji spotted the kitten room, eyes sparkling as she saw all the kittens playing and sleeping together. A employee had passed by, asking the timid Umji if she wanted to spend some time inside the enclosure. Umji had been quick to say yes, squeaking out a small thank you before entering the room. All the kittens had sensed that the younger girl was to be trusted, some of the kittens even waking up to join the others in investigating and smelling the new stranger that had entered. 

  "Pretty...." Umji whispered as she sat down in the middle of the floor, running a hand against one of the kitten's fuzzy, warm fur. It was still strange being the one petting the kittens instead of being one herself. A song coming from her skirt pocket interrupted the moment, her phone ringing and causing some of the kittens to dart away in surprise at the noise. 

"Hello?" Umji answered.

"Hey, Umji!" Eunha's voice rang out through the phone speaker, bringing a smile to Umji's lips. "How's everything going? Is the shelter fun?"

"It is." Umji replied, giggling as one of the kittens decided to jump onto her lap. "There's so many kittens here!"

"I wish I could see them." Eunha whined, clearly jealous that Yerin and Umji had been to the shelter before her. "How's Sowon doing?"

"I don't know. She hasn't come back yet." Umji mused, petting the kitten in her lap. "I miss her."

   "She'll be back before you know it! Don't worry!" Eunha's voice was comforting and Umji couldn't be more grateful that she had taken the time to call her. Being alone was still scary for her. The conversation continued for a few more minutes, Eunha only hanging up after hearing SinB yelling in the background about how Yerin had bit her again. Umji laughed, wishing Eunha the best of luck in controlling the two with Sowon gone. 

   Finishing with the kitten room, Umji moved to the grown cat area next door. The cats were calmer than the kittens, only a few rubbing against her legs as she entered. Most of them were sleeping, not bothered too much by her presence. Umji recognized one of the cats as the cat that SinB had found, feeling relieved at the sight of the cat happily sleeping in one of the cat beds nearby. She would have to let Yerin and SinB know that she was doing okay. The low, sleepy energy in the cat room was slowly putting Umji to sleep, the former brown striped kitten petting one of the cats that had decided to occupy her lap as well. 

Umji had no idea how long she had dozed off for but she was broken out of her nap by the feeling of someone shaking her shoulder carefully, her eyes fluttering open to the sight of Sowon kneeling in front of her. 

"Sowon!" Umji smiled, the cat in her lap still in a deep sleep.

"Hey there, sleepyhead." Sowon returned the smile with her own, kissing Umji's forehead out of habit. "I hope you didn't miss me too much."

"Of course I did." Umji huffed, nudging the cat on her lap gently. The cat opened its eyes, giving Umji's hand a nuzzle before walking off to a nearby food bowl. Now that the cat had left, Umji was free to cling to Sowon's waist, her anxiety melting away.

"I hate when you have to leave."

"I know." Sowon sighed, pressing another kiss to Umji's cheek. "I don't like leaving you either."

"Did it go okay?" Umji asked, letting go so that Sowon could sit down on the floor next to her, watching the shelter cats go about their business.

"I think it did." Sowon pushed some of her golden locks out of her face, sighing again. "I just have to wait to see if I got the job."

"You'll get it." Umji said firmly. "I know you will. It would make no sense if they didn't pick you."

"You really think so?" Sowon laughed softly, pulling Umji close to her. "Thank you, Umji. Hearing that makes me feel less nervous about it."

"You're nervous?" Umji tilted her head. "I thought nothing scared you?"

Sowon's smile faltered for a brief second, her hand tightening a bit on Umji's arm. "No one is completely fearless, Umji."

Umji wanted to ask more, wanting to find out more about what could truly scare someone as strong as Sowon. But Sowon stood up, holding out her hand to the younger girl to help her to her feet, the subject dropped and changed almost immediately.  

"Come on. I'm sure the girls are waiting for us to get home." Sowon's smile had returned, almost as if her expression change earlier had never happened. Umji was still curious but she kept it inside, taking Sowon's hand. 

  The drive home had been somewhat quiet but they had arrived back without too much trouble with traffic. Sowon had made sure to hold tightly onto Umji's hand once they exited the SUV, still keeping an eye out for any witches potentially pretending to be an innocent stranger. She had never been more grateful for the fact that her apartment complex was gated. Unless the witch had a spell that could undo locked doors. Was that even possible? Who knows. 

"There's my beautiful Umji!" Eunha had cooed out once they were safely inside, hugging the younger girl. Umji returned the affection, happy to be back home with everyone. Though, she left Eunha's side after a few moments so that she could change into something more comfortable for laying around the house.

"What happened to you two?" Sowon raised an eyebrow at the sight of the disheveled SinB and Yerin in front of her. Yuju was laying on the couch, clearly exhausted.

"Nothing happened." SinB huffed, crossing her arms as if her hair and clothes weren't a complete, noticeable mess. Yerin almost looked smug, though she was more of a mess than SinB was. Both girls had red, obvious teeth marks on various parts of their exposed skin. It didn't take much to put together what had happened while she was out.

"They wouldn't stop biting each other." Yuju's tired voice rang out, the former gray kitten running a hand through her messy long hair. Sowon noticed that Yuju had a few bite marks of her own showing on her skin.

"Hey, she started it!" SinB yelled, pointing accusingly at Yerin. "I told her I would bite her back this time but she didn't listen!"

"Stop acting like you didn't like it." Yerin stuck her tongue out at SinB, taunting her. SinB looked like she was about to tackle Yerin again, a small, irritated, but playful, growl forming in .

   "Don't make me put you both in time out." Sowon said sternly. Yerin laughed at Sowon's expression, pinching one of SinB's cheeks before moving to sit down on the couch with Yuju. SinB still looked like she wanted to start another fighting match but she gave in thanks to Sowon's threat, making her way over to Yuju and Yerin as well.

   The former black kitten stared at the two girls for a few moments, not sure if she wanted to sit down with them or walk away to her own bedroom. Yerin took the initiative, ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter