Storm

I'm Not Alone Anymore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you feeling better?" The voice of Sowon's strict father rang through her ears, a frown on Sowon's lips. 

"I'm fine now." 

"Then you need to go back to school." The man's voice wasn't softening at all. The sound of it was making Sowon feel upset. He didn't even seem to care if she was doing well or not. It was always like this. Sowon gritted her teeth, trying to keep herself from saying something she'd regret later.

"I know."

"Don't give me that attitude, Sojung." 

Sowon hated how that name sounded. She was Sowon now, not this other person that her parents wanted her to be. Was she just going to let this keep happening? She was an adult after all. Not some kid that her dad could control to do whatever he wanted her to do in the future. Was this her chance? To break free from these chains holding her down?

Sowon glanced over at the brown striped kitten that was now on the bed, the baby cat settling in for another cat nap. The sight of Umji was helpful but Sowon wasn't sure if she could go through with what she wanted to say. The sound of cheerful laughter echoed outside the closed bedroom door and Sowon's mind was filled with the smiling faces of the girls. She could do this. She could.

"You know what," Sowon spoke up, keeping her voice strong even though her hands were shaking badly.

"I'm not going back to school. I quit. I don't want to do this anymore."

".....What did you just say, Sojung?" The man's voice went cold, anger clearly present. But Sowon had found her voice. There was no backing down now.

"I don't want to go into business. I want to decide my future for myself."

"No. You don't mean that." Sowon's father continued over the phone. "Don't be silly, Sojung. You are not quitting. You are going to get your degree and-"

"No!"

Sowon had lost her cool, shouting out of frustration and Umji's head shot up at the sound, the kitten staring at the blonde.

"This isn't the life I want. This isn't the future I want. I get to decide what I want, not you!" 

"Sojung! You-" 

Beep. Sowon had hung up the phone, angry tears burning in her eyes and her hands trembling. She was proud of herself but how was her mother going to react? She had never talked to her father like that before. But she didn't care. Her phone rang. It was her dad trying to reach her again. Sowon turned off her phone before tossing it on the floor, fists clenched. Umji continued to stare before laying her head back down, making herself into a small ball on the bed. Sowon only slumped down to the ground, covering her face with her hands.

 

Outside the bedroom, the lively lunch time conversation had stopped, Sowon's voice being heard clearly through the wall when she had yelled. The sound was worrying and none of the former kittens had any idea on what to do.

"Should....we check on her?" Yuju's eyes were filled with concern. Sowon always had seemed like she had been hiding stuff from all of them but the subject never seemed like a good one to pry into. Yerin and Eunha had finished their food and were looking at each other in confusion. Even SinB had paused her eating to look around at everyone for some sort of idea or comment.

"Who was she talking to?" SinB asked, her fingers tapping at the table anxiously. She looked calm but her heart was racing. Even Sowon hadn't sounded that mad when she had yelled at her back when she was still a kitten. 

"I don't know." Yerin exhaled, gripping at her own arm to try and keep herself from panicking. Yuju noticed and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, soothing the former ginger kitten some. 

"We really don't know much about her, do we?" Eunha whispered, leaning her head on SinB's shoulder.

"I've wanted to ask her but it always felt wrong." Yuju frowned, still rubbing at Yerin's tense shoulders. "I wish she would trust us."

"We know firsthand how hard that is, Yuju." SinB replied, rubbing at the back of her neck. "You know how long it took me to finally open up to all of you."

"That's true." Yuju chuckled, sighing as Yerin buried her face in her shoulder. 

"Do you think she's okay?" Yerin's voice was barely audible, wavering a bit.  

"Let's just give her some space for now." Yuju decided, SinB reaching over and ruffling Yerin's light brown hair in a familiar motion. Yerin seemed to finally relax and both Yuju and SinB let out a breath of relief. 

  Several hours passed and Sowon was still no where to be seen. Yuju and SinB took the responsibility of cleaning up the dishes while Yerin and Eunha cuddled on the couch. Yerin was still worrying about Sowon. Eunha had the television and was gently Yerin's hair, playing with it while the other was distracted by what was flashing across the screen. Eventually, SinB and Yuju had joined them. Yuju had sat next to SinB on the floor and rested her head against SinB's. The former black kitten had her phone out but still made sure to let her arm wrap around Yuju, her eyes examining the pictures on the website she was on. 

"What are you looking at?" Yuju asked, trying to see the screen better. SinB tilted the phone towards the former gray kitten, showing her pictures of different outfits. She stopped scrolling on one photo specifically, a black leather jacket with a small design on it. 

"Don't you think this would look good on Sowon?" SinB asked and Yuju let out a small laugh. That earned a frown from the former black kitten.

"What?"

"You spent so much time fighting her but you really did like Sowon the whole time, huh?" 

"Whatever." SinB turned her head back, muttering but not moving her arm from around Yuju. Yuju only smiled. SinB really was more affectionate and caring than she liked to show. 

"Do you think Umji will ever turn back to a human?" Yerin asked Eunha while they both laid on the couch together.

"Of course she will." Eunha nodded, her fingers still running through Yerin's soft hair. "If Sowon could help us, she can help Umji. She got SinB to come back after all."

That seemed to ease the other girl's mind, Yerin growing quiet again and enjoying the feeling of her hair being played with. 

 

The sound of the bedroom door creaking open made everyone's heads turn. Umji was the first to exit the room, the small kitten making her way to some of the leftover food in her dish. Sowon was next and she didn't look like herself. It was obvious that she had been crying and her normally well kept hair was all out of place. That sight alone made Yerin leave the couch to get to Sowon's side almost the exact second she saw her. 

"Sowon.....Are you-" Yerin couldn't even finish her sentence before Sowon's arms were around

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter