NINE

Enemies from the past
Please log in to read the full chapter

HAPPY.

 

Jihae stopped singing when she looked at Chanyeol who was dragging his feet to the kitchen, rubbing his puffy eyes tiredly, while scratching on his stomach under the shirt that gives her a slight teasing view of his faint abs underneath it - that have her looked away immediately so there wouldn’t be any inappropriate staring. 

“You up early.” he mumbled sleepily, with the same deep voice that gets more hoarse and gruff from the sleep that he had woken up to. 

And Jihae just hummed at that, focusing on the pancakes that she was making to surpass the hunger that she was having at the moment. 

Indeed, she woke up rather early than usual - weirdly having the anxious feeling bubbling inside her chest that makes her excited, yet scared. 

And ended up making her awake earlier than usual, and with the hunger like she hadn’t eaten anything in two years. 

“I don’t know...I’m a bit jittery today.” she said, flipping on the pancake and Chanyeol just stood beside her, picking on the pancakes that she had finished cooking - that she had placed on the plate nearby. 

To which she just slapped his hand at it, and make him pouted at her. 

“Have you brush your teeth, Chanyeol?”

“Why? Does my morning breath bothers you?” he huffed his lips at her and she just pushed him away with a slap on his chest - making him pouted again, and rubbed on the sore spot. 

“Go wash up!”

He whined, but when she slapped his chest again, he just backpaddled away, glaring at her in a distance. 

“Jeez, it’s like I have a child.” she sighed, and already feel tired from the small commotion.

Jihae went focusing back on her pancakes, smiling to herself because it wasn’t burning. 

It seemed things went smooth for her that morning and Jihae felt more jittery than ever. 

Feeling like something was about to happen and the worse part - she didn’t know whether it was gonna be a good thing or not. 

 

 

 

 

“You know...” Chanyeol suddenly muttered, sending Jihae off to work and the girl glared at him, fumbled the handle to her door, only to find it locked. 

“I have been thinking...” 

She stared at him - and the way his eyes stared at her when he twisted his body a bit, makes her attention risen. 

“Thinking? You?” she tried to joke, receiving a flick on the forehead instead by him and have her groaning at that. 

“You know...” Chanyeol started again, clearing his throat and somehow had his expression softened at looking at her. 

“You look way better than you are before.” he whispered. 

And Jihae felt her heart beat at that. 

“It’s a first time I heard you were singing while making breakfast.”

She blinked at that. 

Before her heart went heavy and she pressed a smile at it.

Yeah, it has been a long time since she sang in the kitchen before - she hadn’t noticed it until Chanyeol pointed it out.

“Do you feel a lot better?” he asked, pushing the strands of her hair behind her ear and she smiled at it.

“Well, at least I don’t have nightmares these nights.”

“Probably because I’m with you.” Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, looking smug with the fact that he just stated and Jihae just chuckled at it. 

“Yeah, maybe because you’re with me.” she said and Chanyeol smiled at that. 

Before, she gripped on the handle of her door and looked at him. “Now, open the God damn door.”

“You will feel a lot better if you let everything go.” Chanyeol suddenly said, ignoring her pleas to get out. 

And Jihae blinked at him. 

“You will feel much better if you moved on.” he said. 

“You’re not living for your past now, you’re living for your future. So, stop holding to your past.”

Her heart clenched at that. 

“You deserves better, and I’m right here to prove it to you.”

She laughed at that - heart went swaying. “Is that a marriage proposal or something?”

Chanyeol joined her laugh. “Maybe...” he shrugged. 

But then, she stopped laughing and just smiled more at the guy, soothing on his cheek.

“Thank you. I’m lucky to have a friend like you.”

Chanyeol beamed more. 

“It’s a bit sappy, but I appreciate it.” she chuckled. 

“Yeah, I got it when I was having thoughts in the shower.” Chanyeol confessed, unlocked the door for her and have her scowled at that. 

But thanks to him, her heart was glad.

Glad that he pointed out that she was looking better and maybe Chanyeol was right - maybe she really need to move on from the past and let it go. 

Maybe she should really focused on her future instead of holding to the past. 

But, it’s easier said than done, right? 

 

 

 

 

The air was tense - everyone was looking at each other and tiptoeing around the edges, too scared to say anything, but too anxious to not say something to say on their disappointment. 

“Are you two sure about this?” a woman came asking, looking at the couple who had come early in the morning at her house. 

Her beautiful pair of eyes resembled Joohyun in every way, and Sehun calmed down at seeing her motherly look towards him. 

“Yes.” Joohyun retorted, smiling assuringly at her own mother.

While Sehun’s mother was scowling at that. “I think it’s just wedding anxiety.”

Sehun stared at his mother. “Mom, we both have talked this out.”

“But you can’t postpone the wedding! Everything is ready!” 

Joohyun grasped Sehun’s hand to calm the guy down when she saw his tense look and when he glanced at her, she just gave another assuring smile. 

“We both agree that it’s better that way. Too many things happened right now and we need to think clearly...”

Sehun’s mother scowled again, almost retorted another harsh words when her husband, CEO Junjin - pulled her to the back and shook his head - telling her not to say anything. 

Joohyun’s father just sighed, nodding nonetheless at the end. “If that what you two wants...”

Sehun looked at the man thankfully and he just nodded in return - understanding their situation, while Sehun’s mother went gasping. 

“We really gonna postpone it?”

“I don’t see why not.” Joohyun’s mother went saying. “It’s not like they were cancelling the wedding, they just want time to think things through.”

Sehun’s mother had her shoulders dropped at that, and when everything had been talked through, and Sehun was ready to leave, she just pulled him from leaving.

“This is about that tramp, isn’t it? That Jihae girl.” she hissed and Sehun went glaring at his mother.

“Jihae is not a tramp. Stop putting names on her for God's sake!” Sehun frowned. 

“Sehun!” His mother went glaring, obviously not liking the way he defended the girl. 

“Stop taking her side! She’s just a low life!”

“Just because you thought so, doesn’t mean that she is one.” Joohyun suddenly came to Sehun’s side and securely hold his hand to which he tightened on.

“Sehun told me what you have done to Jihae.” Joohyun said, and the mother stared at the girl dejectedly. 

“That’s very low of you.”

“Joohyun, it’s not like that - ”

“I think the one that’s a lowlife is you, mom.” Sehun said, cutting his mother’s worth. 

“And now I’m going to fix everything that you have done.” Sehun tugged Joohyun’s hand away, and the girl just bowed curtly at the woman. 

“Excuse me, we have a flight to catch.” Joohyun said, and the mother went gawking at that, looking at the two who went away from her. 

 

“Sehun? Is something wrong?”

Sehun went sighing at that, before he stared at Joohyun who worriedly looked at him and he swallowed the guilt that was bubbling inside him. 

“I’m sorry.” he took her hand quickly, caressing it softly. 

“I keep thinking about her and I feel like a jerk.”

Joohyun blinked at that, baffled at his sudden confessions, but appreciated that he was being honest enough. 

She smiled, his fingers in return and let her eyes softened at looking on his handsome features.

“It’s so messed up in my head. I don’t know what to do.” he looked down to his lap, not wanting to look at her eyes that were looking at him. 

“I love you so much, but...”

Her shoulders dropped, noticing that he went crying already and let go of her hand, palming his face in agony.

“I love her too...”

Her heart clenched hard and it felt like it just dropped to her stomach at seeing his chocked sobs and frustrated tears went rolling on the cheeks. 

“Sehun...” she called. 

“I’m here...” she assured, standing up, and gently hugged his broad figure. 

“We gonna go through this together, okay?”

 

Sehun went kissing her temple, and Joohyun went smiling at that. 

“I love you.”

She giggled, letting him hugged her to his heart content. “I love you more.”

 

 

 

 

Work was pretty much the same for Jihae - she was still reviewing some contracts with the legal advisor of the company and discussing about the resort’s investors along the way.

And she ended up burying herself in work. She needed to make sure everything was done before she went back to Seoul the next day. She didn’t want her job to be left incomplete when she gone back there. 

Junmyeon went texting her - asking about her day, and about her flight that she will be taking and she just mentioned that Chanyeol was taking care of everything. 

To which Junmyeon just laughed at it. 

And Jihae went smiling. 

It was back to her usual routine of work, and more work - and truthfully, she didn’t mind. It’s something that she loved to do, making her remembered that she have a purpose in life rather than just sit around and do nothing. 

She glanced outside of her office, looking at the clear skies and white clouds, and she smiled more. 

Weird. 

Her heart was anxious - feeling that something was about to happen, but she didn’t hate on the feeling - rather, she was anticipating on something that was about to happen.

As she went busy, and let more hours passed, there was a soft voice calling her from the telephone on her desk. 

“Miss Jihae, your boyfriend is here.”

Jihae went blinking at that. “Huh?” she could only muttered that to Joy who was on the other line. 

“Umm...is he not? Or - oh! Your fiance!”

She was more confused. 

“Your...husband...?”

Jihae went frowning. “Joy...who...”

“The one who always pick you up...”

Ah. 

“Is it Chanyeol?”

“I - I think so.” Joy went saying. 

“He’s waiting for you. Should I tell him that you’re busy? Or should I ask him to wait?”

Jihae went glancing at the clock, noticing that it was almost lunch time. “Tell him to wait another ten minutes.”

And she hang up, before staring back at the legal advisor who went to her office for the nth time that day, and they continued to where they were talking before Joy interrupted them. 

When Jihae finished with her small meeting, Chanyeol was busy talking to Joy - making the girl laughed at whatever he was saying, and Jihae gave a knowing look at that. 

Noticing her friend’s brightened looks and wide smiles that she went raising her brows suggestively and Chanyeol rolled his eyes at it. 

“Let’s go. I’m starving.” Chanyeol said, tugging on her wrist and Jihae chuckled. 

“You’re not coming, Joy? We are going to the seafood restaurant nearby.”

Joy just happily declined, mentioned that she still have work to do and will be having lunch with Dahee, another coworker in the office and before Jihae could say more, Chanyeol was tugging on her wrist again. 

She was laughing when they walked outside. “Joy is cute.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Shut up.”

“Is she your type? I can help you with it.” Jihae wiggled her brows suggestively and the guy went sighing at that, tugging her head into a headlock and she chuckled at it. 

“You need her phone number?”

“I said shut up, shorty...” he messed up on her hair and Jihae laughed at the way Chanyeol went blushing at her teasing remarks. 

And as she went busy teasing him, she came to a stop when she saw the familiar figure in the parking lot - even had Chanyeol tensing up beside her. 

Sehun pressed his lips tight. “Jihae...”

Jihae noticed Joohyun standing beside him, looking at her ever so kindly that she had to look away because her heart went heavy at it. 

“Can we talk?”

She blinked at it. 

 

 

 

 

In life, there will be a time where your enemies came forward and would be sitting in front of you, and by that time - you could only sit back and found yourself helpless under their pleading look and sorrowful voices. 

And that’s how Jihae found herself to be in - in a situation where she looked at Sehun who was seated in front of her, looking at the seafood stew in front of him with such an unreadable expressions. 

Jihae just wanted to slap his dejected shoulders that were down, and pushed it so he could faced her confidently like before. 

“Jihae...” 

She swallowed hard, probably her own shivering feeling when his voice sounded so soft and gentle, unlike before. 

When he had said that he wanted to talk, Jihae didn’t thought that she will be agreeing to that. Chanyeol was tugging on her hand, and was telling her not to mind him, but she ended up telling Sehun to follow them to the restaurant for lunch. 

She didn’t know why she did that - probably the way that Sehun went looking at her, that told her that he wanted no fights and bickers, but really - wanting to talk. 

“I’m sorry.” Sehun went saying, finally looked up to her and Jihae took a bite of her meal, trying to focus on something else, other than his pleading gaze on her. 

Chanyeol and Joohyun went taking the next table, somehow didn’t want to interrupted both of them, but Jihae noticed the worried glances that Chanyeol had gave, and the concern looks from Joohyun to Sehun. 

“My mom told me about why you left me.”

Jihae felt her heart broke a bit at hearing that - her jaw stopped to munch on the food and she glanced at him. 

Sehun stared directly into her eyes and tickled on her own soul by it, and she looked down, munching on her food and swallowed it slowly. 

“I’m sorry.” she said. 

The silence was deafening and she pressed her lips tight, taking the side dishes and placed it on Sehun’s bowl of rice, making him looked at it blankly - noticing that she placed on his favorite.

“Were you dissapointed?” she asked. 

Sehun felt his own eyes wanted to betray him, and he picked up on the utensils slowly, taking a bite of his food.

“I’m sad.” he said. 

Then, there was a tear dropped as he munched on his food and Jihae looked down, focusing on her food and tried not to see his weak demeanour at the moment. 

“I’m sad that I hurt you without knowing.”

Jihae pressed her lips tight at that.

And she glanced around the restaurant, noticing that many people had come for lunch, and she also noticed how well Chanyeol chatted up to Joohyun, making the girl smiled and agreed on whatever he was saying. 

“Your mom hurt me.” she said, finally looking back at him. 

“And if you hurt me too, I deserves that, for leaving you just like that.”

Sehun wiped on his tears and Jihae felt her heart clenched at seeing that.

“You should have told me. You should have said something.” he chocked on his sobs - silent and too sorrow that Jihae looked down to her lap. 

“You know I wouldn’t care about that. I love you the way you are.” his eyes were already red when he looked back at her and Jihae forced a smile. 

“I know you do, and that’s the problem.” she swallowed after saying that. 

“Even if we still together, I would be feeling more worthless with your mom judging me. She won’t be approving of me, no matter what.”

Sehun let his shoulders dropped even more at that. 

“I’m just a lowlife. Not worthy to be in your life.”

“Jihae...” he stared at her, and she could only smiled thinly at that. 

“I’m sorry, Sehun.” she gulped down her chocked feelings. 

“I should have explained everything before leaving you. You deserved that.”

“But I guess I’m too angry after what your mother ha

Please log in to read the full chapter