[ ♡ ] 005.

Egos & Preconceptions.

“So,” Miyoung called out, turning to Baekhyun as she took her attention off of her computer monitor. “Is there anything specific you’d like to know about the hospital? The different floors?” She asked while Baekhyun blinked. He really didn’t know how the hospital ran like, but he trusted Junmyeon to do the job just well. “Tell me about your position,” he suggested, “how do you contribute to the hospital?” The brunette blinked, eyeing the man with curiosity. “Why?” She questioned. Miyoung’s a registered nurse that contributed by helping Junmyeon run the hospital. All nurses reported to her while she is on duty. Well, in a nutshell.

 

Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders. He was curious about her – and her family. She didn’t seem like the type of person who is a free loader, living off of what others gave her. She worked for what she wanted and needed – he just really needed more information on her. Not that he couldn’t just hire a private investigator. “What do you do throughout the day?” Miyoung furrowed her brows as she grabbed her laptop loaded with her patients as she walked in front of the wealthy man. “In short, I’m in charge of the nurses – hence Head registered nurse. There’s a problem, they come to me. But I’ll let you know that there is rarely a problem in this hospital. Junmyeon really makes sure that everyone understands the phrase: ‘A patient’s life is the most important thing here’.” “Do you run all the floors?” He asked, tilting his head forward to look at her. “There’s two of us. I am usually on the maternity and post-surgery floor. The other head nurse is on the emergency room and intensive care floors.”

 

“Did you choose these floors purposely?”

 

“If you mean that I wanted to manage these floors, no. I’m actually specialized in labor and delivery as well as post-surgical care. So, I guess you can say I’m not a regular nurse.” He nodded his head, following her as she stopped by one room – knocking on the door before entering the room. “Mr and Mrs Lee, hi,” she called out with a smile bright on her lips. Baekhyun followed in slowly, not quite sure if he could enter or not. “Miyoung!” The woman called out as she waved to the brunette. “I have a guest following me around today. He’s one of the hospital’s investor, and he’s going to be observing.” Baekhyun smiled, extending his hand to the husband and wife. “Byun Baekhyun, pleasure to meet you.” He said while they shook his hand and returning his greeting for a split second. “I’m glad you’re one of the investors,” Mr Lee uttered with a smile, “the doctors and nurses like Miyoung have been so wonderful to us since we got here.” Baekhyun chuckled, nodding his head: “I’m glad to hear it.”

 

Miyoung forced a smile as she looked from Baekhyun and to her patient. “How are you doing? Any afterbirth pains still?” She asked as she took a moment to pull her patient’s chart before placing her laptop on an empty table stand. Mrs Lee shook her head while Miyoung moved forward to check Mrs Lee’s vitals and monitor the fluid drip hanging on the pole: “It’s healing wonderfully.” The brunette smiled, charting down her results and looking up to the board to also chart when was the last time Mrs Lee had any medications taken. “When will we be able to see our little button?” Mrs Lee asked with concerned eyes, and the brunette gave them a reassuring smile. “Now, she’s still in the incubator. As a premature baby, it really depends on how quick she can grow within the incubator.”

 

“The doctor said she’d have to be in there for two weeks, is that true?”

 

“A week or two, give or take. Your baby’s a strong girl, she might be a fighter and push herself to just a week.” Miyoung said with a smile that made the Lee’s smile widely. “Let’s pray that you get to take your baby home sooner rather than later, yeah?”

 

“Thank you for everything, Miyoung,” Mrs Lee called out, taking the girl’s hand in hers. “You’ve been so gentle and helpful since we’ve got here.” “Well, it’s been a pleasure. It’s my job to help you and your baby while you’re here.” The brunette smiled, squeezing the woman’s hand softly as she then excused herself to go check on more patients. She promised to go check on their baby while she was at it, and they couldn’t thank her enough. Both Baekhyun and Miyoung exited the room while Baekhyun’s eyes stared at the brunette. She knew what she is doing that even the patients had complimented the hospitality and work the hospital had put in to dedicate their time for each patient wonderfully. “Do you like babies?” Miyoung questioned, turning her head to Baekhyun as they walked to the opposite hall of where the babies stayed versus the mothers. Yet, Baekhyun’s eyes continuously blinked as he walked beside her. “Never really been around one,” he replied, and the brunette looked at him with a grin. “Well, Mr Byun, you’re going to be surrounded by them here in a second.”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

“Hey,” Miyoung whispered after washing her hands to enter the nursey. Jaehyun turned around, a newborn in his arms as he smiled the brunette. “Hey,” he replied while walking to set the newborn back in her bed. Miyoung smiled as she walked forward towards one of the newborns that had recently woken up. She smiled as she reached and held onto the little wiggle toes. “I just brought this little one back from seeing his parents,” Jaehyun said softly as he walked over to where she stood above the little newborn. “He’s so cute,” she whispered as she moved her hand away. Her eyes trailed to where Baekhyun stood, his hands in the pockets of his suit pants. “They’re not going to bite you, Mr Byun,” Miyoung commented with a laugh. Jaehyun looked up and gave the male a smile.

 

“You can come closer, if you want.”

 

“Babies… are foreign.” Baekhyun uttered with a small stammer as he approached the two nurses., “Never been around them before.” Jaehyun chuckled, nodding his head: “I understand. It’s different for everyone.” Miyoung shook her head as she eyed the newborns in the incubators. Her thoughts turned to the Lee’s as she stepped away from the two males. “Hey, Jae,” she called out, pointing to the Lee’s baby. “Do you know how long she’ll really be in here for?” Jaehyun looked up with raised brows as his hands were tucked into the front pockets of his scrub shirt. “The Lee’s baby?” He asked, and she nodded. There was a hum from Jaehyun as he walked over to the little newborn’s chart. “Um,” he uttered softly, “Doctor Hwang came in to check on her not too long ago. She said the little’s strong, she’s bigger than what she was when she arrived. Might be a week until she’s out of the incubator and into an actual bed.” “That’s good, the Lee’s were asking. I told them I’d check.” She turned around, facing the dimpled cheek male as she smiled widely to him.

 

He returned the smile, turning to get a glimpse of Baekhyun still standing in front of the newborn Jaehyun and Miyoung had walked away from. His eyes stared at the baby with so much curiosity and admiration of life. Jaehyun smiled, arms crossed after placing the charts away: “How’s the tour going, Mr Byun?” He asked. “She’s not giving you trouble, is she?” Baekhyun looked up from the baby, eyes widened with brows risen. “None at all. She does her job well.” There were those words that replayed in her mind from the night prior, allowing her to quiet scoff. Only Jaehyun was really the one who heard it, allowing him to look at her curiously.

 

“Though, not well enough to be accomplished, wouldn’t you think?”

 

There surely was a look of surprise on Baekhyun’s face – recalling the conversation they had at Sehun’s home. To which he had forgotten that they even spoke the night prior. Perhaps it was because he didn’t think much about her – but rather what can he do for his friend to separate him from her sister. The only thing that ran through his mind is Miyoung’s conversation with her sister at the bookstore, and since then – he wanted nothing more than to protect his friend. Despite being old enough to do so on his own, but Baekhyun worried for anyone who remained acquainted to him.

 

There was a forced smile on the brunette’s lips as she shrugged her shoulders: “It’s no matter. Should we carry on?”

 


 

“I’m sorry, what?” Jaehyun spluttered, choking on his sandwich, “He insulted you? When?” Miyoung sighed, placing her fork down as she stared to the male in front of her. She stared at his expression. Proper disgust plastered on his features. She could tell that he was offended for her – probably the one thing she liked about him: he understood her. He listened. “At the charity ball.” “Okay, you know what,” Jaehyun stated, leaning back against his chair: “I’m not letting you go to anymore charity balls that Junmyeon throws.”

 

He shook his head, a scowl settling on his features. “Not unless I’m going.” The brunette tilted her head, a grin plastering her lips as she stared at him. “Who knew the Jung Jaehyun could be so protective.” She teased, earning a glare from the said male. His crossed arms only made her grin even more, but he tried to play it cool – shrugging his shoulders. “Only for the girl I’m pinning for.” He retorted. Miyoung beamed widely before taking a sip of her drink.

 

“She must be one lucky girl.”

 

“Oh, trust me.” Jaehyun indicated, wagging his finger. “She is.

 



i'm back!! well - not really, i still have to do my research project aha 

hope you enjoyed! 

don't be a ghost reader, feedbacks are appreciated :)