[ ♡ ] 003.

Egos & Preconceptions.

To her disappointment, the rain began pouring down on Miyoung and Jisoo just as they were making way to their next destination – just allowing them to run in the rain with their arms and purses covering their heads. It wasn’t a beautiful day, by any means, but it was only beautiful when she spent it with one of her sisters – there was never a dull moment with any of them. Though, she wished that they had an umbrella on them despite the forecast telling them it was just a cloudy day. Good thing for them, their destination wasn’t too far from the café they exited: the bookstore. They stood outside the bookstore, shaking off the rain while they tousled their hair. As soon as they entered, the two separated ways as Miyoung went through many shelves – different genres and different lengths of books. She traveled through classic writers from Jane Austen, William Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, etc. She could feel her clothes sticking to her skin as she skimmed the books, picking one up to read the little summary on the back of the book to see if it would tempt her interest. “Mi, it’s pouring down harder,” Jisoo mentioned as she came up beside the brunette – whose eyes soon trailed to the large window.

 

A sigh escaped the girl’s lips as she nodded: “Maybe we’ll wait it out – if not, we run again.” She stated just as she was placing down a new copy of Edgar Allen Poe’s The Fall of the House of Usher. “I’m not concerned about us. The parking garage isn’t very far from here,” Jisoo retorted, picking up the copy Miyoung just placed down. “What’s concerning is that Joo is having lunch on a rooftop having lunch.”

 

Then it hit her that their eldest sister is on a rooftop having lunch. She knew that they’d move into the actual restaurant, but Joohyun had a weak immune system when it came to rain – she’d be sick for days. Miyoung blinked, turning to Jisoo: “She’s on an open rooftop.” She said allowing Jisoo to raise her brows and nod slowly. Of course, there was concern, but she also knew that – what Sehun displayed at the event – Sehun would take good care of Joohyun. “Well,” Miyoung cleared , “she’s with Sehun – he’ll take care of her if anything were to happen.” Jisoo couldn’t help but stare at the second eldest with eyes that spoke of concern and questions. Though, she knew better to question. Joohyun is in good hands, the concern now comes from their mother.

 

“You know, it’s not as concerning – but I bet you that mother is thrilled that it’s raining on Joo’s lunch date.”

 

Miyoung rolled her eyes, moving down the aisle of books. “Oh, I can almost hear her said: ‘She’ll stay the night at Mr Oh’s and recover there. It’s all going as planned.’ Sometimes I wonder if she realizes that it’s the twenty-first century.” Jisoo hummed, nearly snorting a laugh at her sister’s imitation of their mother. Though, they knew better to believe that their mother was the one to make it rain – rather impossible, if they were to think so. There was no way that their mother could take credit for that or the fact that it was Sehun who asked Joohyun out to lunch. “Yeah,” Jisoo agreed, trailing a finger on the spines of books to see if one will capture her attention, “but there’s no changing our mother, Mi. She’s old-fashioned and preferred that we’d marry into money – well, you and Joo, at least.” And yet, there was a scowl on Miyoung’s face as she is reminded of it. “I don’t need a husband or boyfriend, Ji. It’s the twenty-first century, and I’m well capable of being independent and work for my own money.” “I understand that, but what about all your student loans? Our mortgage, your rent, your emergency money? It’s very much over our heads, Mi. Your income and Joo’s alone isn’t our saving grace – we could lose everything at any time.” She hated the reminder, let alone being one of the two eldest to hold up the family. She hated that the responsibility to sacrifice everything to her family came with being the eldest – maybe she just wanted to be selfish this once and say that she wanted to run her life the way she wanted to. At least until she met her true love – a love that could prove to her that money didn’t mean anything, but if anything, they’d strive together to come up with a solution to the problem. But, perhaps, this was how it goes as being an eldest child: the parents choose to lean on their eldest children.

 

“Are you reminding of this because you think mom’s right, and Sehun’s going to be our saving grace if he ends up with Joo?”

 

“I’m saying it’s an option.”

 

“Well, it’s the worst option.”

 

Miyoung argued and Jisoo sighed as they moved down the aisle once more. There was no wavering the two eldest sisters to see the problem of their living expenses because they believed that love is stronger than marrying for money. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you’re just a hopeless romantic, Mi,” Jisoo teased, nudging her sister’s shoulder with a grin. Miyoung snorted a laugh: “I’d choose true love over money any day, and you know that.” They rounded the next aisle, eyeing the non-fiction books. However, they were unaware of the person who at entered several minutes (since the rain started) after them and unabatingly eavesdropped on their conversation all while hiding behind a book – one that he was going to pick up for his sister. He had walked in during their talk of marrying into money, and he knew it was too perfect to be true for his best friend – who he was told would be having lunch with the only handsome woman from the event. Sure, Sehun was arranged to marry to his sister at birth, but they didn’t agree on it – so they never told his sister, ending the arrangement with authority and negotiations with their parents. Perhaps, they made the wrong move if he’d knew that women would only charm their way for the money of Byun Baekhyun and Oh Sehun. All he knew, and believed to hear, was that the Bae sisters – one of them – was after his best friend’s money.

 

He took in a deep breath as he picked up the book for his sister, scurrying towards the checkout register.

 


 

The rain had eased down a bit, and the two sisters were able to get home – or rather back to Joohyun and Miyoung’s apartment. The brunette had pushed Jisoo to her room to take a shower and take some ibuprofen to make sure that her younger sister didn’t catch a cold, while she promised to take one after the younger. After their showers, Miyoung moved to the kitchen – where her phone sat on the counter. “Hey, Mi, can I stay here tonight? I need a quiet place to study for my exam,” Jisoo asked, ruffling her hair with a towel as she came into the kitchen. There was a look on the brunette’s face that let Jisoo know that something was wrong. “What’s up?” She asked, seeing her sister staring at the screen of her phone. Miyoung sighed and set a reply before placing her phone on the counter again. “Sehun’s sister just sent a text that Joo’s at their home with a high fever.”

 

“Knew it,” Jisoo called it with a sigh. They knew that their sister’s immune system would be compromised by the rain within a few hours. “Sehun offered for her to stay at his home until she was better because he thinks it’s his fault that she’s sick. I’ll have to go see her tomorrow,” Jisoo snorted a laugh, nodding her head as she turned back the subject. “So, can I stay the night? I really need to study without mom screaming about husbands and money.”

 

Miyoung laughed and shook her head: “You’re more than welcome to stay with us whenever you feel like you need peace and quiet. You know that.” “Yeah, but we don’t like bothering you guys.” Jisoo replied meekly. Miyoung felt for her siblings because their mother was the reason that strove Joohyun and Miyoung to get their own place – peace and quiet away from their mother’s rants and utter desires.

 

“You can stay here for as long as you want – besides, campus is a lot closer from here.”

 

“Thanks, Mi,” Jisoo said, hugging her sister from the side. Miyoung laughed, pushing her sister away to go rest or study since they’ve endured the rain – and rain tends to make you fall asleep due to its calming sound. She sighed and followed her sister to the couch, phone in hand as she checked her emails and text messages. “I’m going to have to go to her tomorrow, just so I know she’s okay to come home with me.” Jisoo snorted a laugh, knowing very well that their mother would be glad something like this is happening – maybe the eldest Bae sister might be the first to marry.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

The rain hasn’t stopped as Miyoung arrived at Sehun’s home – his rather lavish home. Bigger than she’d ever set foot in. Her eyes stared from outside her car, blinking in utter astonishment. The droppings of the rain hitting her rain jacket didn’t stop her from staring at the home across the street. She refused to even drive into the lot honestly. “Wow,” was the only thing she could say as she began her walk to the front door with a large shoulder bag resting her shoulder, crossing the street as the rain picked up. So, she ran. She stood underneath the patio, shaking herself off as she rang the doorbell – greeted by a maid. Something that luxurious people could afford. She smiled at the female, mentioning her name and that she was here to see her sister. Of course, the woman let her through – guiding her through Sehun’s living room. “Miss Bae Miyoung is here to see Miss Bae,” she announced as Miyoung followed behind her slowly, her hands intertwined in front of her, careful not to move the bag too much. Three sets of eyes turned to look at her as she spotted Sehun, his sister, and… Baekhyun – who stared with wide eyes. “Good God, Miyoung,” Sehun’s sister gasped, “did you walk here?”

 

Miyoung blinked, realizing that her rain jacket had glistened with the several raindrops. “Um,” she uttered, “kind of.” She said, her fingers tugging at the hems of her rain jacket. “Sorry, um, how’s my sister?” She asked, looking up – mostly to Sehun. He stood up almost immediately and smiled, “She’s recovering well,” he mentioned, saying he’ll walk her to her sister. “She told me she had a weak immune system. I thought she was joking,” he said with a chuckle. Miyoung smiled softly: “She’s always had a weaker immune system between all of us.” Sehun smiled, updating her with the little details of her sister – like what she ate, when she took her medications, the instructions his in-house (or family) physician had recommended she do, etc. She simply nodded along just as they arrived in front of the door of his guest room. He knocked, peeking his head in with a smile and letting her know that the brunette was here to see her. Joohyun coughed just as Miyoung peeked in to see her sister’s pale state. “My goodnesss, Joo,” she whispered, walking in closer and sitting on the edge of the bed by her eldest sister. Joohyun simply smiled, forcing herself up to leave against the headboard. “You look like hell,” Miyoung commented with a laugh, the back of her hand pressed against Joohyun’s feverish forehead. “I feel like hell.” She retorted while Sehun smiled. He took a step closer, “You’ll be fine in a few days, like the doctor said.”

 

Miyoung turned to the tall male, giving him a sincere smile. “Thank you, Sehun,” she said, “for taking care of her. She looks a lot more comfortable here than at home.” “Oh, it’s my pleasure. I mean – it’s not a pleasure that she’s sick or anything – just… a pleasure to have her here.” Sehun stammered, earning a genuine smile from Joohyun. Miyoung could tell that they were very much into one another through the sincere smiles and glances – she felt like a third wheel. “Well,” Sehun exclaimed, shifting in his spot. “I’ll let you two catch up – will you be staying for dinner, Miyoung?” He asked and Miyoung blinked, turning her head with a shocked expression. “Oh, no! I don’t want to intrude – I’m just here for her and I’ll leave once I’m done tending to her.”

 

“Nonsense. You’re always welcomed here,” Sehun commented, but she was very much hesitant. She didn’t want to be the party pooper. Besides, Jisoo was at their apartment alone. She knew that her little sister could take care of herself, but she’d much rather have dinner with her sister. “I’d love to, but one of our little sisters is staying with us. I don’t want her to have dinner alone.” Joohyun blinked, her hand grasping the girl’s hand. The brunette turned around, eyeing her sister’s cold hand on hers. “We can invite her as well!” Sehun exclaimed. “I feel strongly for you sister, Miyoung. I’d love to get to know you better – even if it means another Bae sister joining us for dinner.” The brunette’s eyes widened towards her sister. She was pleading her sister to say something. She really didn’t want to have dinner at such a lavish home with… unwanted company. Despite Sehun being one hell of a host. “I think you should,” Joohyun added while Miyoung frowned. But she turned around and smiled to Sehun, “Well, if Joo thinks we should, then we will. I’ll give our sister a call.”

 

“Great,” Sehun smiled, “if she’s willing – I can send my chauffer to fetch her.” With that, he turned around and walked out of the room with a smile on his lips. He had genuine feelings for Joohyun. She was someone he’s never met before. Just a night at the event, he learned a lot about her – her likes, dislikes, what she does for a living, her favorite color, favorite food, a little description of her sisters, etc. He had no discrimination against her background – rich or poor – he genuinely liked the personality and persona that she held.

 

Miyoung waited until the door was closed all the way before slapping her sister’s arm with force. “Why did you say that!” She exclaimed in a whisper allowing Joohyun to frown and rub her arm. “What?” She asked while giving the second eldest a look. “Joo, I don’t want to have dinner here – especially with that… that guy downstairs. And what makes you think Ji wants to come over and have dinner with them?!” “Mi, it’s not that big of a deal – it’s just dinner. Besides, I miss the company of my sister.” Miyoung have her a glare, setting the bag on the bedside table. “It’s only been a day,” she retorted. Joohyun frowned, laying back down: “One day without you is so boring,” she whined, “I mean, don’t get me wrong, Sehun’s made me very comfortable and went through a lot to care for me – but it’s not the same without you around.”

 

Miyoung sighed as she stood up to unpack the bag that she carried with her. She eyed her sister with an obvious look. The Bae sisters have always been inseparable. They were always together or always sending text messages after text message via their groupchat about the randomness of their day or something that had happened at home. They never went a day without talking to each other. But now, things were changing. Joohyun met someone who liked her, and she liked him. There had to be a bit of room to let Sehun in.

 

“Now you just sound clingy, Joo,” Miyoung teased, “Get a boyfriend and cling to him instead.”

 

“Oh, shut up!”

 



 

changing up the plot a lil,
hopefully i didn't butcher anything ;;

don't be a ghost reader - feedback is always helpful ^^

until next time, 
love baekhyun & i