[ ♡ ] 001.

Egos & Preconceptions.

“Darling, I heard there’s going to a formal ball tonight!” Their mother mentioned to their father – who paid no attention to anything but his tablet at hand. Joohyun and Miyoung, the two eldest of the five – who, in their mother’s words, were going to rot if they didn’t find husbands or start dating again soon. Their mother was one of the many people out there that liked to follow the olden traditions; to find her daughters a husband with a handsome income. Maybe because it was their own income that made her want her five daughters marrying someone well capable to look after her girls after she and her husband passed. Yet, with the kind of career that Miyoung and the one that Joohyun had already acquired – it wasn’t enough for them to pay off their debts in a timely manner. Debts like school loans, home loans, their own rent, etc. Hence, why their mother is adamant of finding the perfect husband for them.

 

Her definition of perfect? A doctor, lawyer, a businessman, or even a congressman.

 

“Don’t you think our girls should go?” Her mother questioned her father, who didn’t seem to care so much for the idea of a charity formal ball within the city when, at their own expense, couldn’t even afford anything nice. Miyoung blinked as she lifted her head up from a copy of her Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility. She eyed her parents – mostly her mother – with a sigh while Joohyun nudged her. The girl eyed her older sister, eyed widened at her – as they communicated in silence. “I don’t think it’s necessary that our girls go to some ball raising money for people like us, honey,” her father retorted, “it’s the twenty- first century. They don’t need our help finding them husbands when they can do it on their own.”

 

Her father had some meaning behind his words because it was true that they didn’t come from money. They didn’t have the luxury of shopping at the finest places when all their money went into paying student loans and a mortgage that could be repossessed at any time during her childhood. Even now, with the careers that Miyoung had and what Joohyun had – it would never be enough for them to pay off everything their parents owed, let alone their own apartment rent and their younger sister’s expenses. “Maybe they don’t, but honey, I heard Oh Sehun is one of the sponsors! And his closest alliance and friend, Byun Baekhyun!” Her mother exclaimed, shaking her father’s arm. “They’re the wealthiest CEOs this country’s ever seen. We have to send our daughters!” “How are we going to send our daughters when we don’t even have an invite?” Her father questioned.

 

“Actually,” Seulgi, their middle sister, called out mindlessly – not even batting an eye to their parents. “Miyoung’s got an invitation. Saw it in her purse the other day.” Miyoung’s eyes widened as she shoved her sister with her foot. “This is great!” Her mother called out, “My five girls can go and make themselves known!” The brunette cleared , marking her page within her book. “Sorry, mom,” Miyoung mentioned nonchalantly, “it’s an invitation to a very formal ball, a charity ball – black tied theme and all – for me and a plus one. But I don’t plan on going, why should I?”

 

“Miyoung, baby,” her mother called out, “we’re getting old. Who’s going to take care of you when we’re gone?” Her mother asked, gathering all her daughter’s attention – Joohyun, Miyoung, Seulgi, Jisoo and Yerim – as her mother spoke. “But like dad said – it’s the twenty-first century. We don’t need some guy taking care of us when we can do it on our own. Rich or poor.” “Well, like it or not, Bae Miyoung, you’re going to that ball and you’re taking your sister with you.”

 

“Which one?” All the Bae siblings questioned. Of course, the two eldest knew that the two middle sisters – Seulgi and Jisoo – didn’t care about the high society or men because they were too focused on school. They preferred that they focus to keep their scholarship and not lose it because they didn’t want to put their parents in much more debt. Yerim, on the other hand, was trying her best to acquire a scholarship for the same reason her two other sisters were doing. They didn’t want to put more debt than their eldest sisters already have. “Joohyun is going with you – now go home and get ready! I’ll bring a gown for you two!” As much as Miyoung wanted to ignore her mother and continue reading her book, she couldn’t because her mother was rushing them off the couch and out the door to get home – to get ready for the night’s biggest event in town.

 

Miyoung whined. She didn’t like having her mother throw her into the idea of marrying when she was still young and capable of so much more in her career. “Oh, come on, Mi,” Joohyun called out, dragging the brunette to their shared car. “It might be fun – besides, as your sister, you really need to get out of the house more often."

 

“I do not!”

 

“Yes, you do.”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

And yet, there she was – sitting in her bedroom as she fixed up her makeup for the evening. Her mother had come over and brought their gowns for them. Joohyun had already slipped into a sleeveless, off-shoulder black dress that fit her perfectly. Her hair in loose curls and pinned. Meanwhile, Miyoung’s dress was a thin strapped light blue gown with intricate golden details. The brunette stared at her mirror, sighing as she applied a bit of highlight to her upper-bone cheeks. “You okay, Mi?” Joohyun questioned, glancing at her sister through the mirror as she finished clipping up Miyoung’s hair loosely.

 

“I’m fine,” the brunette uttered quietly as she placed her makeup brush down. Joohyun sighed, placing her hands on the brunette’s shoulders: “Mi, it’s just one night, okay? You don’t have to deal with it after it all.”

 

Of course, words were just words when what was in their future is going to be foretold.

 


 

The Bae sisters walked down the red carpet setting as one of Miyoung’s friends greeted them at the door. When they said it was a very formal charity ball, it was. “I thought you weren’t going to come,” her friend and coworker, Sooyoung, called out – arms reaching for the girl. “I was afraid that I was going to have to endure it all alone,” she added. Miyoung chuckled softly, holding onto the girl’s hand as they entered the luxury ballroom. “I didn’t want to, but our mom seemed to convince us otherwise.” She frowned as they moved to the cocktail bar to avoid the crowd coming in and dancing in the center ball.

 

“Well, she did a good job pushing you to come out because you two,” Sooyoung uttered, eyeing both of the beautiful Bae sisters, “you two look absolutely fantastic!” Joohyun and Miyoung smiled, thanking the girl as the ball was in full throttle. Laughter, dancing, and chatter all around them. “Junmyeon said that the sponsors are going to be here tonight?”

 

Sooyoung took a sip of her drink before nodding. “Oh Sehun and Byun Baekhyun,” she said, “they’re the wealthiest CEOs in the country – royalty, basically.” It was the first time that Miyoung or Joohyun had ever heard of them. Maybe it was because they didn’t really focus on the news, much less the gossip that go around in the town. “Sehun is the oldest of him and sister – who, he, inherited his father’s company. Baekhyun inherited his father's company but he went on and built an empire. He’s one of the richest and most eligible bachelors around.” Miyoung rolled her eyes.

 

Entitled rich men.

 

“Junmyeon is actually friends with them,” Sooyoung added just as Junmyeon walked up the stage to greet the crowd that had come out. They turned their attention to the stage as he gave his sincerest thanks to everyone who came out, donated, and had the pleasure to host the event. It wasn’t long when he called forward the sponsors for the night. There two males and a female, walked past the three girls towards the stage. Miyoung blinked, her grasp on her glass tightened when she locked eyes from the slightly shorter male beside the taller. His hair slick back, dressed in a rather fit black suit. The male pulled his attention away as quickly as he locked eyes with her while she did the same. She turned her attention to Joohyun, giving her a weak smile.

 

“That’s Baekhyun and Sehun. The girl, that’s Sehun’s sister – apparently their families have known each other for a long time and Sehun’s arranged in a marriage to Baekhyun’s sister.” Miyoung scrunched her nose before turning her attention back to her boss’s words. Soon after, the sponsors of the event said a few words and the party was back to a full swing.

 

“Hey, you made it,” Junmyeon greeted, giving Miyoung a bear hug. “Well, I wasn’t going to come, but here I am,” she joked while a small crowd followed him. “I’m glad you came. Uh, Miyoung,” he turned his attention to the male she locked eyes with earlier. “this is Oh Sehun and Byun Baekhyun. They’re the ones making this charity possible.” Junmyeon then turned to the said males and introduced the three girls standing opposite of them: “These are two of my good friends: Bae Miyoung, Park Sooyoung, and,” Junmyeon turned back, eyes on Joohyun – who smiled and bowed her head. “Bae Joohyun, Miyoung’s sister.”

 

Junmyeon nodded with a smile after having given the introductions. What they did with it was on them. Sehun, the taller male, smiled. He bowed his head and his attention seemed to have been absorbed in on Joohyun. He completely ignored Miyoung and Sooyoung. “I, um, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Would you, Joohyun, like to dance?” He asked and Miyoung turned to her sister with an amused look. Her older sister chuckled, a light tint of pink painting her cheeks. She made no moves to move forward until Miyoung gave her sister a nudge.

 

Baekhyun seemed amused himself at his friend’s sudden interest. His attention turned to the girl in the baby blue dress. She shared much of the same features as her older sister, but less… appealing. If he had any other words to describe it. She wasn’t handsome enough to appease him. Sehun seemed to have already taken the best out of the two sisters. He mentioned that she caught his eye the moment they walked into the event. His head turned to watch his best friend dance with the elder Bae sister, a smile on both their faces as they laughed over something.

 

Sooyoung seemed to be smiling as well. “Do you dance, Mr Byun?” She asked him while Miyoung blinked to her friend. Baekhyun turned around, hands in his pockets as he held a thin smile. “Rarely.” He said before turning around and walking away. Miyoung turned to her friend, eyes widened with brows risen in question. “A bit rude,” Sooyoung whispered as the music started coming to an end. They moved forward to greet Joohyun. She moved back after speaking to Sehun, a smile gracing both their lips for the nth time. “Details?” Sooyoung preyed.

 

Joohyun chuckled, shaking her head. All she said that was: Sehun was exactly the type of person she wants to get to know better, and he asked her to dance again whenever the next song started.

 


 

“Hyung, why won’t you live a little?” Sehun asked, a smile on his lips as he sipped a cup of champagne. “I don’t like just seeing you stand here. It’s no fun, go dance.” Baekhyun scoffed, shaking his head: “You know I won’t dance with someone I don’t know.” Sehun’s sister stepped up, ready to take Baekhyun up on his offer, but Sehun blocks her. “Hyung,” he called out sternly with a tilt of his head. Baekhyun looked to his best friend, a sigh escaping his lips. “You’re dancing with the most beautiful woman here,” he retorted. “Well, if I might say, her sister – Miyoung – is very pretty.”

 

Baekhyun remembered the girl with the baby blue dress that outshined everyone else’s dress here. He has seen many men dance with her, and there was a look on her face that made him wonder if her dance partner was tolerable. “Well, she’s tolerable-” Baekhyun began when Sehun nearly split out his drink. “Tolerable? Hyung, real-”

 

“Like I said, tolerable. But her beauty standards are not enough to tempt me in any way.” Baekhyun retorted just as they were walking away. What they didn’t know was that Miyoung and Sooyoung were standing by a pillar, close enough for them to hear but not them to see. A look of hurt plastering her features as she looked down to her own glass of champagne. Sooyoung glanced at her friend, a hand resting on the girl’s forearm.

 

“If it makes you feel better, he’s not that good looking at all,” she playfully joked, allowing Miyoung to laugh sadly. He basically called her ugly indirectly while her sister was compared to a Goddess.

 

“Right, as if any women would be able to tolerate him.”

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

The night carried on with Miyoung dancing with Junmyeon, her having a drink or two with Sooyoung, and as conversation with her sister from time to time. Because from the way things were looking, Sehun didn’t really want to share her attention as much. Not that she minded, she lived with Joohyun. Despite the idea of going home, she couldn’t because Joohyun was enjoying herself with a new male who may have entered her life indefinitely.

 

“I hope I didn’t tire you out with all the dancing,” Sehun mentioned to her sister as Joohyun laughed, shaking her head. “Not at all. I believe dancing is a beautiful way of confining affection and love.” She mentioned while Miyoung smiled, her hands intertwined in front of her as she stood beside Sooyoung and Junmyeon, and opposite of Baekhyun. “I thought writing – poetry is the heart and soul of love.” Baekhyun mentioned nonchalantly while it captured the brunette’s attention. “Some can argue that writing is the best way to define romance, but an act of dancing can portray more than words.” Miyoung argued, looking at the male who indirectly insulted her.

 

He looked back to her; his brows risen in question. “Then what would you prefer as form of romance?” There was no emotion his tone of voice. Something about him just made her dislike him despite having met on this night.

 

She feigned a smile, tilting her head in thought before she gave him a rather savage reply.

 

“Dancing – well, only if one’s partner is tolerable.”

 

Sehun’s eyes widened, a small grin forming on his lips as he held in his laugh. Maybe she overheard their conversation, Baekhyun thought. Her response made him shift on his feet uncomfortably and downed his glass of champagne as he watched her walk away with Sooyoung in toll.

 



 

phew, finally wrote chapter one ;; 

i absolutely love pride & prejudice; therefore, i want
to stick closely to the idea of the original piece 
but still make it a modern day version of it!

don't be a ghost reader - leave some feedback pls

until next time,
love baekhyun & i