Bonding through Lives

Precious Slave

 Sakura finally opens her eyes after struggling through endless absurd dreams. The sun paints its last ray on the ceiling before it disappears quickly. Sakura immediately realizes that she is sleeping in her room. She jumps out of bed abruptly and finds her luggage, which was moved to the wagon yesterday, is now back in the living room.

What happened? Why is my luggage here? Why am I still in the mansion? Sakura starts to panic and feels a throbbing headache.

"My lord," noticing Saku has awakened, the butler immediately brings him the Princess's remedy, "You are awake! Please take this remedy first. Her Highness told you to take it once you wake up."

Saku quickly gulps down the pills and half lies on the couch while the butler continues to report, "Her Highness has called off the expedition; that's why they have put your luggage back. Your knight said you fell sick after drinking with Prince Jaeyeon last night, and they only sent you back this morning."

"Ah...yes, thank you." Sakura leads out a long sigh. Last night...she was so much in pain – but it was not the worst part...

"You must be hungry, Young Master. Let me ask the kitchen to cook dinner for you."

Saku shakes his head. He doesn't have any appetite. "I want to take a bath."

"Yes, sir. I now go to prepare." The butler bows and leaves.

Sakura squeezes her eyes shut.

She cannot face this reality, and it still feels unreal.

Just moments ago, she was sharing Jaeyeon's secret and agony, celebrating their brotherhood and Saku-drinking-for-the-first-time. Nothing seemed to matter anymore when the golden liquid burned her tongue to her stomach. They shouted and sang aloud, even telling dirty jokes and laughing like there was no tomorrow, until, without warning, flashbacks and fragments of memory suddenly popped up from nowhere and attacked her like a mighty army.

She was not sure at first. Were they just illusions coming from alcohol? Eunbi once said she was terrible at drinking – but it was not true. She has never consumed alcohol.

What she drank was a potion that could suppress her memories...

The fragmented memories quickly came together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Now she remembers. She loves Eunbi. She loves her brother's wife. It doesn't matter if Jaeyeon loves his wife, but she definitely loves her.

But what struck her more when a scene appeared in her head – Eunbi was hugging and kissing her passionately.

She doesn't only love her brother's wife, but they are in love.

Nothing could be more scandalous.

Within seconds, her whole perspective changed, with her world abruptly turned upside down and shattered into pieces.

Just moments ago, she was trying to empathize with Jaeyeon on a moral high ground, but now she is almost sure she is precisely why Eunbi doesn't want to sleep with Jaeyeon.

Instantly, she was engulfed by shame and guilt.

She began to sob uncontrollably. She cried so hard as if all her internal organs were crying altogether.

She started to feel cramps in her lower stomach. The pain moved up to her chest and back to the core; until she experienced a massive muscle spasm, making her lose control and fall onto the floor.

"Sir, the bath is ready." The butler soon returns with clean clothes and a towel and breaks Saku's train of thought.

"Oh, thank you!" For once, Sakura feels grateful to be interrupted.

 

***

 

When Saku finishes his bath, he doesn't expect the butler to be standing outside waiting for him with an anxious look, one hand carrying his uniform.

"I'm not going out. I do not need to dress up." Saku says.

The butler moves slightly closer and lowers his voice, "Her Highness, the Princess Regent is here. She wants to talk to you privately."

Without hesitation, Saku changes and finds Eunbi sitting by the dining table with her back against him.

"Have a seat, Saku," Eunbi says nonchalantly.

Sakura bows and sits down on the other side. She immediately senses something very different.

Eunbi is so beautiful.

Eunbi has always been beautiful. Saku knows the best as they work together daily, but today, Eunbi's beauty is on another level.

The Princess exudes confidence that Sakura has never seen. It feels like her whole being is glowing in excitement.

Suddenly, Sakura feels thousands of butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

Patiently, they wait silently for the servants to set the table and serve freshly cooked dishes from a food trolly. The tableware is printed or engraved with the Princess's emblem.

After setting out for dinner, all servants and knights leave the Infante House as ordered by the Regent.

Sakura automatically starts to use her wolf senses to scan the environment carefully until she shakes her head and says, "There is no breathing human around. Owen the owl just passed by. He is gone now."

Eunbi just smiles silently while looking deep into Sakura's eyes.

Being looked at that way, Sakura feels her heart quiver, dry, and her face burn. She quickly grabs the glass of iced Kura Tea and gulps it down in one shot.

"Did you drink in this manner last night?" Eunbi finally speaks.

Sakura grins in embarrassment, "The cup was much smaller."

Eunbi's smile turns sad, "Why did you drink? Were you unhappy? What made you start to remember everything? Did the memories bring you pain, so you have to get drunk?"

Sakura shakes her head, but it takes her a while to think before she answers, "I didn't know that I never have drunk wine before, so I didn't know that intaking alcohol will make the potion lose effect."

"Why do you think it is alcohol that has antidoted the potion?"

"I just guess. My memories came back to me after I drank and felt...happy and light."

Eunbi nods, "That's the reason why people like drinking wine. So, maybe feeling happy and light brought you back the memories?"

Sakura nods.

"And you got sick after you remember everything? Or is it because you got drunk? Alcohol or memories, which one makes you sick?"

Sakura downcasted her eyes to avoid Eunbi's gaze. Eunbi's question is so to the point that she knows she cannot avoid talking about Jaeyeon if the conversation continues.

"I am sorry..."

"Don't apologize!" Eunbi lifts her tone, "If anyone has to apologize, that should be me. I have never meant to make you sick. It was so heartbreaking to see you in pain, do you know?"

"Noona, I am fine..." Saku murmurs. "At least I am fine now."

"Saku-chan!" Eunbi raises her voice. She pauses and takes a deep breath before going on, "Do you know I literally felt your pain?"

Sakura's head jerks up abruptly with widened eyes.

"It was like a mirror effect. I didn't really feel pain, but it was so uncomfortable that I woke up and thought I was sick. I tried to diagnose myself but couldn't find anything wrong."

Sakura sighs. She knows she cannot hide anymore, so she honestly shares what she experienced while carefully avoiding linking it to Jaeyeon.

After hearing that, Eunbi habitually leans her head to one side and says, "I agree with you that alcohol consumption could have led to antidoting the potion, although there is no documentation. But it is unlikely that the failure of a potion will lead to such adverse effects on a person. The only thing I can explain is the mirror effect, that people – mostly identical twins can share or transfer physical sensations or mental feelings with each other. It occasionally happens between two closely linked souls." Eunbi sips the Kura Tea and continues, "I think I should let you know. After your knight sent you to my lab, I diagnosed you and mixed a potion – I don't know why you rejected the potion until I fed you with my mouth, and you instantly calmed down. You opened your eyes and told me you remembered everything, then immediately fell asleep – do you remember that?"

Sakura's face starts to turn pale, and she shakes her head.

Eunbi doesn't notice it as she is lost in her thoughts. "But it has not ended yet. After you slept, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my heart. I might die from a heart attack, and I got a revelation. Love brings pain. We are painful because we love. Love and pain are two sides of the same coin; we can't have one without the other. But it is the meaning of life, and life is meaningless if there is no love and no pain. We are in pain precisely because we are in love, but only love can heal our pain – at least, that was what I thought. So I decided to climb onto the examination table with you; if I were to die, I wanted to die by your side. Then my pain disappeared almost immediately. Isn't that magical? I am sure we have linked souls. Finally, we cuddled and slept until dawn."

Sakura petrified. She stares at Eunbi with her mind goes blank – they slept in the same bed...

"Saku-chan, are you alright?" Eunbi is terrified when she sees Saku's face twitching and his lips trembling, with tears quickly pooling in his eyes. It doesn't take long before the lad breaks into tears and cries like a child who broke the vase.

"What happened, Saku-chan?" Eunbi is taken aback. She immediately runs across the table and pulls Sakura into her embrace.

Despite her messy situation, Sakura is still clear-minded about what she has promised Jaeyeon. However, what's happening now is beyond her ability to handle it.

"I'm sorry, noona, I'm sorry..." Sakura mutters between sobs.

"Why do you have to say sorry?" Eunbi is convinced something fishy is going on, "Saku-chan, what are you hiding from me?"

Sakura has never felt this conflicted, and she faintly feels the pain again.

As if knowing Sakura's feelings, Eunbi instantly softens her voice. "Calm down, Kkura. You don't need to tell me anything. Just relax!"

Eunbi then lets go of Sakura and walks back to her seat.

"Let's eat, Saku-chan," Eunbi tries her best to stay composed and speaks calmly as Sakura's sobbing subsides, "The food is getting cold. I've specially ordered the chef to cook your favourite food."

Sakura nods, but no one touches their utensils.

In her heart, Eunbi feels like she has fallen from heaven to hell – maybe the messages she has interpreted are all wrong. Although Kkura has regained her memories, it doesn't mean she is still in love with her. It is only her wishful thinking that there is something she should celebrate tonight.

With her head still hanging low, Sakura steals glances at Eunbi occasionally. It doesn't take her long to discover that Eunbi's whole being has dimmed down, her face hardens, her jaws clenched, and the Princess is on the verge of tears.

The scene pains Sakura. She debates vigorously in her head – if she tells Eunbi about Jaeyeon's secret, she will be disloyal to Jaeyeon, but if she lets the situation go on, it will be unfair to Eunbi – Eunbi deserves to know the truth to save her marriage. Who will get hurt more if she discloses everything or keeps shut?

It didn't take too long before Sakura made her decision. She abruptly stands up, walks to Eunbi, and gets down on her knees.

"Stand up," Eunbi says coldly, "You're still a prince even without a country."

"No..." Sakura doesn't move, "there is something I need to tell you. Hyeong drinks a lot lately because he is very unhappy. He told me you refused to sleep with him in the same bed after Yujin was born, and that coincides with the time we confessed to each other. When my memories came back last night, the first thing I realized was that I was in love with my brother's wife, and I am the reason that noona doesn't want to sleep with hyeong."

"No! Why do you say so?" Eunbi's sound trembles, "What do you mean by telling me this? Did he..."

"No. He asked me to keep this a secret, but it is unfair to you..." Tears run down Sakura's cheeks again, "I have hardly seen noona smile since I returned from the study trip. I was by your side every day, but you distanced me. I can feel that. You never talked about it, and I never know why. It was such a huge shock when my memories came back, and I got the reason. I cannot imagine how much pain you had endured when I led a carefree life..."

"Kkura!" Eunbi cuts in impatiently and almost screams, "Stop the empty flattery! Just tell me, do you still love me?"

"YES!" Sakura is taken aback, but she nevertheless screams back, "I love you! I never stopped loving you, even without the memories. But I am a sinner, I am such a shame, I...ouch!" Sakura suddenly bends down and clenches her chest.

"No! Kkura!" Eunbi can't hold her tears anymore. She slides down from her chair and hugs Sakura. "Are you in pain again? Is that what made you sick last night? No, what you have said is not correct. I was so happy to have worked closely with you in the past few months, but your memories were suppressed, so I couldn't show my feelings. I am sorry to have kept a distance from you because I need to protect both of us. And about Jaeyeon, it is a problem between him and me. There is nothing about you."

Sakura can't help but cries harder, "But I've just betrayed him; I and noona slept in the same bed..."

"What?" Eunbi startles for a second and laughs through her tears, "Saku-chan! What are you talking about?"

"We slept in the same bed, so we sinned."

"They are two different things, you know?"

Sakura looks confused.

"Sleeping in the same bed – do you know what it means?

"Yes..." Sakura murmurs.

"Tell me, what does that mean?"

Sakura blushed instantly. "Sleeping in the same bed means...doing...that thing."

"Kkura!" Eunbi yelps, "Sleeping in the same bed means sleeping in the same bed; doing that thing means doing that thing! You've told me you slept with your mama under one blanket, right? Just we usually use 'sleeping in the same bed' to metaphor lovemaking to avoid embarrassment. In fact, doing that thing is just a slightly polite way to say . How can you think we had last night?"

Sakura looks confused, but she nevertheless persists, "noona doesn't want to sleep with hyeong, but noona slept with me..."

Eunbi shakes her head and leads out a long sigh. The lad is so stubborn that she can't be reasoned anymore, so she just helps Sakura up and sits back in her chair.

After a long silence, Eunbi speaks very seriously, "If you want to talk about loyalty, let's talk about it. But if you think that our love betrays Jaeyeon, and you wish me and Jaeyeon to be 'back together' to ease your guilt, that's pure stupidity."

Sakura knits her brows tight.

"Perhaps I should tell you the truth about why I don't want to sleep with Jaeyeon." Eunbi stares at Sakura for a long time before she continues, "Whenever I do that thing with him, I saw...no, I feel...anyway, that's the same – I did that with a big white wolf. The wolf came to me in a dream after I drank a potion made by Chaewon, instructed by the grandmaster. The wolf felt so real that I thought I was being thrown into an overlapping dimension where dreams and realities become inseparable. Words can never describe that feeling. Physically, I was with Jaeyeon, but in my mind, I felt the wolf on my body..."

Sakura's eyes widened, "it sounds scary!"

"No, Kkura. It was not scary. In fact, I felt safe and embraced with love when he laid on me, and he was the one who actually made me...happy. At first, I thought the potion caused this, or maybe that was the message Yujin announcing he was 'on the way' since he is a big puppy. But..." Eunbi takes in a deep breath and has great hesitation continuing. "The time when...when you ...I saw him again, head resting on my bosom, exactly what you were doing. But I haven't taken the potion since I got pregnant."

Sakura feels dry, "what does that mean?"

"That means the wolf was not the product of the potion. He is something inside me."

Sakura sounds intrigued. "But why did unnie have a wolf inside?"

Eunbi replies calmly, "Because he is my hidden desire."

Vaguely understanding what hidden desire means, Sakura asks innocently, "Why does your 'hidden desire' show itself as a wolf?"

Eunbi is stunned by the question. She looks straight into Sakura's eyes with an unreadable expression and says slowly, "Good question, Kkura. That's a very good question."

The way Eunbi looks at Sakura gives her the answer. Suddenly, Sakura feels all blood rushes into her Little Friend.

When Sakura becomes crimson red, Eunbi is aware that she shares the same feeling too.

To ease her embarrassment, Eunbi quickly forces herself into an analytical mode, "I don't want to, but I have no control of my...wolf. I can try my best to suppress myself at the usual time, but not when...I'm just human. So... I don't want to feel like I am betraying Jaeyeon, although I am definitely NOT betraying him. Loving you and mating with him are two separate issues. Life isn't always black and white. It's a million shades of grey. If I love him, then I am betraying you." Eunbi stops, picks up a glass of water, empties it, and continues, "There is one more thing I want to tell you. Jaeyeon is my childhood friend, but we, me and you, are much more than that. We have been very close in many of our past lives. We have been family, lovers, comrades, mentors, and protégé...and always been on good terms until one life. When we were brothers and sisters, I killed our father to stop him from murdering others, and you assisted my crime. We were only children. The Grandmaster said we saved him from hell, but we still have to shoulder our punishment. From then on, we were forcibly separated from each other eternally."

"H..." Sakura mutters. She feels so overwhelmed that she loses the ability to speak.

"I saw that in my meditation." Eunbi sounds a bit emotional, "and that explains why when I first saw you in the Marketplace, I strongly felt that I must bring you back by all means. Through meditation, I saw that I have been looking for you, life after life, but you were nowhere to be found. Yet, we are still not meant to be together in this life. Right after we met, my father decided I was going to marry Jaeyeon – without consulting me prior. So, there must be a reason behind that we don't know."

Sakura suddenly remembers the moment Eunbi mentioned when she saw the little brother (contrasting to Jaeyeon the big brother) standing before horse Yena. The words "you finally came" strangely popped up in her head. Then she panicked when the little brother was "taken away" (by Nako and other servants) as soon as they arrived at the palace. The feeling of forced separation terrified her.

And now, her feelings are well explained. The reasons behind her fear are made known. She instantly realizes everything that happens has a reason, and nothing is unfair. With her new revelation, Sakura finally understands every wise word that Great Yoonjung has taught her.

"All things that happened are the consequences of what people did, good and bad, since their first breath. No one can escape the law of cause and consequence, as you will get a certain fruit when you plant a certain seed. The ancient saints have said that commoners fear the consequence, while saints fear the cause. However, when you cannot do anything about the cause which was done ages ago, just let it be and let it go. The best way is not to do anything that can reinforce the bad consequence by adding another bad cause. However, if you are a top-class mage or a celestial, you can try to reduce the impact of a bad consequence by superseding it with goodwill and good deeds. There are always chances in our lives to do good and plant a good seed for the future. Saku-chan, only NOW can change the future. Try to live in the moment, here and now."

The Grand Master is right, thinks Sakura. Why should she drill on something she has no control over or is beyond her ability to handle? Even if she dies from guilt, forcing Eunbi to love Jaeyeon or not to love Eunbi will not save the situation – not doing anything is the best solution – yes, the only thing she can do is accept the consequences as they are and let go. Creating new good causes is more important than crying over spilled milk.

Live in the moment.

She looks at Eunbi. Here she is, sitting at the same table as the love of her life. They were supposed to be hundreds of miles apart tonight, but now they managed to steal some time together. Not knowing the future, why don't they enjoy the great food in front as if it is their last supper? She then turns her head around. This legendary Infante House, where she is staying, was once resided by her birth father, the Crown Prince of Arukas when he visited Tokkiz – isn't it a perfect time situated in a perfect space when glorious moments connect?

Instantaneously, a sudden realization replaces the clouds of confusion in Sakura's mind. What she sees and what she thinks are only illusions she has built in her mind. The issue between her, Jaeyeon, and Eunbi – when she cannot really get the reality, the only way is to let it go. Instantly, she feels clarity in her mind like the crystal blue sky, and all the weights on her shoulders disappear.

"Yes, unnie," Sakura grins gracefully, "I understand what you mean. We are not destined to be together, but Heaven makes us meet in this life. There must be a reason larger than life."

"Yes?" Eunbi is a bit surprised by the sudden change in Sakura's attitude and the energy she emits. It feels like the sun finally shows its face, radiating light and warmth.

When Sakura tells Eunbi about her revelations, Eunbi can see an emanation of blue light from the lad – she once heard Chaewon describe Saku's heart as a pure crystal floating on a blue flame. The blue light must be its reflection.

"Kkura, I get it now," Eunbi says quietly. The message is clear. In front of her is not an ordinary human being. They are allowed to meet each other again not for themselves. She suddenly remembers her father's words a few months ago. They both have a larger-than-life mission, and they must work together to achieve that. "There must be a higher call that needs our attention. We ought to transcend the current situation and our relation."

 

***

 

After telling the bedside story and putting Yujin to sleep, Jaeyeon leaves everything to the nanny and returns to his bedroom. He is surprised to see Eunbi dozing off in the small living room that conjuncts their chambers. Usually, Eunbi will still be working in her studies or the Lab at this hour.

"Eunbi?" Jaeyeon gently calls and sits down next to Eunbi.

"Um..." Eunbi groans, feeling the weight of exhaustion settling over her, nevertheless struggles to flutter open her eyes.

"Go to sleep if you are tired, don't sleep here."

Eunbi rubs her eyes and sits up. "Is Yujin asleep?"

"Yes," Jaeyeon replies and falls silent.

Eunbi looks to the ground and mutters, "Thank you."

Jaeyeon startles a bit, "For what?"

"Thank you for taking care of Yujin." Eunbi still looks at the floor, "Yujin is lucky to have a good father. I am a bad mother."

"No, I am not a good father..." Jaeyeon looks to the other side, "And I am sorry about last night."

While Eunbi doesn't respond, Jaeyeon continues, "I shouldn't have let Saku-chan drink. I promise I won't do that again."

Eunbi nods silently.

Jaeyeon gains courage from Eunbi's response and asks what's on his mind, "the servants told me you went dined with him. Is he alright? He was still sleeping when I went to see him this morning."

"He is fine," Eunbi swallows, "he...he told me you are unhappy."

"No!" Jaeyeon quickly denies it, "No, there is no such thing!"

Eunbi turns to Jaeyeon. "Is that why you drink? I asked your knights. They told me you always go to a tavern with Saku and have a drink."

"I am sorry," Jaeyeon spreads his hands, avoiding Eunbi's gaze. "I will try to quit."

"I guess I am responsible too." Eunbi's voice sounds barely audible, "please give me some time."

"No, no worries!" Jaeyeon hushes softly, "I know you are really stressed these days by the threats from the Cistumons about the new principality. There is no rush, just..."

"Just?" Eunbi slightly raises her brows.

Jaeyeon bites his lips, "Just allow me to prove that I can protect you and the kingdom."

Eunbi smiles briefly, "Thank you, Jaeyeon. I will also try to make some changes."

Jaeyeon smiles and pats Eunbi on the back of her hands. Unlike the other times, Eunbi doesn't flinch.

 

***

 

The expedition was rearranged so that the vanguard, led by now General Sashihara, could depart Tokkiz and commence their reconnaissance, while Tokkiz's Prince of the Wolves and his entourage would leave right after the Princess Regent's birthday.

The Regent announced that she would take a blood oath with the "Wolf Prince" (nicknamed by the citizens) on her birthday before he left for the Northeastern Prairie. She didn't explain her decision, but according to political analysts, this act is a clear and robust response to the threats from the Cistumons. At the same time, it can fortify the new principality's legitimacy and ensure their Arukasian inhabitants' loyalty to Tokkiz. A little more than half of Tokkizans agree with that, but some skeptics also worry this will agitate the Cistumons more. Nevertheless, most residents, Tokkizans and Arukasians alike, are excited about the blood-oath ceremony. After all, the last time when the Crown Princes from Tokkiz and Akuras became sworn brothers was over thirty years ago. Even though the Wolf Prince is not of royal blood, he is at least a prince.

However, the optimistic and merry atmosphere of Tokkiz has changed since the King has fallen gravely ill and become bedridden. For this reason, the royal procession to the racecourse was canceled. The Princess Regent and her family only arrived during the awards ceremony at the Princess Cup Race. However, thousands of people stayed to witness the ceremony after that.

The prize-giving podium is quickly turned into a simple altar. Followed by the rolling of the drums, Eunbi and Saku, dressed in their shining riding uniform adorned with intricate embroidery of their respective coats of arms, ascend the podium. The ceremony today is to be performed by Senior Priestess Kang Hyewon.

The Priestess picks up Seungsu, the ancient sword, and raises its glinting blade into the air. She looks deep into the eyes of the young prince and princess and asks, "Eunbi, Saku, do you swear to become sworn brother and sister, to protect and support each other through all trials and tribulations?"

The two look at each other and nod. Hyewon then holds Seungsu out to them. Eunbi, being the older one, takes the sword and makes a small cut on her finger by barely touching the blade. Her face twitches slightly as a big drop of blood trickles down her finger. Saku follows suit, and they both put a few drops of blood into the bowl of wine. The blood immediately mixes with the wine, creating a color of pink. They then take turns lifting the bowl to their lips with their eyes locked on each other.

"To the Tokkiz Kingdom and the Fourth Realm Continent," Saku says and takes a sip.

"To the future of Arukas and humanities," Eunbi takes the liberty and finishes the wine.

"You may speak your vow," Hyewon says in her signature monotone with a blank face and burning eyes.

Eunbi starts. Her voice reflects a hint of nervousness, "I, Eunbi, swear to protect and support you, Saku, as my sworn sibling, through all trials and tribulations, until the end of time."

Saku follows suit. His still child-like voice is clear and strong, "I, Saku, swear to protect and support you, Eunbi, as my sworn sibling, as well as your Kingdom and your people, through all trials and tribulations, until the end of time."

What rings in Eunbi's ears, however, are words from Saku's telepathy. "We are bonding through lives. In each future reincarnation, you will be my family, lover, comrade, mentor, and protégé. I love you forever."

Eunbi smiles and telepathizes back, "I love you forever too. We will bond through lives until the end of time. I will never let you be taken away again."

After exchanging vows, the two hugs each other – being cautious that the hug should look appropriate.

"You are now sworn siblings," Hyewon announces and hands the youths each a small amulet intricately carved with the symbol of their new bond. Ceremonial music starts to play. Cheers erupt among the audience while Chaewon and Jaeyeon, who have been standing aside as guardians and official witnesses, step ahead and help put the amulets on Eunbi's and Saku's necks, respectively.

Before the ceremony ends, Hyewon blesses the newly sworn siblings, "May Heaven bless and keep you invincible through all trials and tribulations. May you protect and support each other during adversities. May you uphold the righteous path so that justice, peace, and freedom will reign forever. May you share your happiness, be compassionate and true to yourselves and each other until your last breath."

The whole audience who has stood up for the blessing now bows to the newly sworn siblings. They scream Saku's name and wave goodbye to the small procession when Tokkiz's Prince of the Wolves and his entourage prepare to leave the racecourse.

Before mounting the horse, Saku leads Smily and walks to Eunbi. Smily uses her special way to bow to the Princess while Saku salutes Eunbi for the last time.

Déjà vu – a strong feeling of separation suddenly attacks Eunbi. She feels a bit dizzy and has to breathe deeply to compose herself. Holding Seungsu, she steps closer to Saku.

"This is the sword that united our fathers and our kingdoms. It is now the symbol of our union," Eunbi says weakly in a barely audible voice. Her hands tremble slightly when she reaches for Saku's belt, but as she buckles the sword, she feels an influx of strong energy of tranquility through her hands.

"Unnie," Sakura whispers, "We will always be together."

Eunbi nods. Instantly, she knows that time has been reset for her, and Sakura.

 

 

~Fin~

 


Author's Notes

Dear readers, thank you for walking with me on this long journey. The story was initially meant to be longer, but I decided to end here, which I think is appropriate.

Looking back, I have mentioned that The Precious Slave would be my last gift to IZ*ONE. Since IZ*ONE has been my muse, I might not be able to write again without their inspiration. As a matter of fact, objective circumstances changed drastically after the disbandment, and the once flourishing IZ*ONE fanfic environment inevitably withered.

In my non-fiction writing, "Mini IZ analysis," I've documented the changes in IZ*ONE fanfic on asianfanfics.com regarding tags. One of the most drastic changes is the Eunsaku/Kkubi ship. In my last update in September 2022, the number of "Eunsaku/Kkubi" tags was 565+ (it was the highest of all time). However, in April 2023, it dropped to 349. The Kkubi ship has sunk.

As a Kkubi shipper, it is truly disappointing; but as a Kkubi shipper, I somehow also felt it. And that's one of the reasons I decided to end The Precious Slave 10 months ago. Things suddenly didn't feel right, although I don't know why. If I am to offer an explanation, I will say before Sakura re-debuted, even though Eunbi had become a soloist, Kkubi shippers could still maintain their fantasies (without the presence of Sakura), but when LE SSERAFIM took wing, writers suddenly found that Sakura had a "new (real life) family." However, on the other hand, even with many pairings/units, the chemistry among fimmies is very "un-fanfic-able" from a fanfic writer's point of view. The new circumstances totally destroyed the Kkubi chemistry and the desirability of the Kkubi ship. That may be the reason many Kkubi writers hid/deleted their stories.

So, will The Precious Slave be my last fanfic? This is hard to answer. IZ*ONE is still my muse although things may be a bit different. I feel myself drifting away from the fanfic settings and moving towards a more OC-oriented approach. I am still thinking (only thinking) about writing a squeal of The Precious Slave with LE SSERAFIM as the main character and rewriting the story in the Chinese language (as an OC story) hoping it can be published offline someday. Nevertheless, meanwhile, I still have an unfinished/unpublished Kkubi/IZ*ONE draft in my account, and I may want to learn to write a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) version of Twelve Warriors, my first-ever fanfic. But all these depend on if I still have a readership. After all, readership is one of the, if not THE most important pillar to support a writer to go on. If you still want to show your support, please follow my account or add me as friend. There is no obligation though. Thank you again, and let's meet again. 다시 만나요!