Chapter 4

Sweet Lies

Minho told his parents that he would go to JYP’s monthly audition again, but he didn’t say he would do that as a girl. He took his bag filled with the stuff he needed to dress as a girl and changed into them outside of the apartment. To get into his costume he went into a public bathroom which is usually empty. He felt like a criminal to walk into the ladies’ stall, but he didn’t have any better idea where to change. Luckily there wasn’t anyone in the bathroom as expected.

He prepared himself how he practiced and put the male clothes back in his bag. He left the bathroom looking like a woman but he still felt weird. Minho then went to the audition and with every step he stepped closer to JYP’s door he sweated more and got more and more anxious. What if they notice immediately that he is a guy? What is he supposed to say then? Will they call the cops on him? Will they tell his parents?

Minho was doomed if anyone found out about this craziness. Wouldn’t it be better if he just stopped with it and returned back home? Choosing the safe option and not risking to make himself a disgrace? Going through with this plan would be so selfish of him to begin with, so why should he do that to his family and himself?

The grip on his bag gets firmer. This is his dream. He wants to become a singer, a dancer, an artist. This is what he wished for ever since middle school. He knew he had potential, but this was the only way to prove himself or rather have an actual chance to achieve his goal. He wants this. It’s what he wanted for so long. He is ready to sacrifice so much for this and he wouldn’t forgive himself if he didn’t have at least tried it. Just this once, he had to be selfish.

He sees other young people entering the building for the audition. Females and males alike. He steps forward and walks towards the registration desk. He has to wait in line with other people. While waiting he looked at the other applicants and observed the building. He was still nervous about his appearance but he tried to act as casual as possible not to attract any attention and so far, it seems like no one is suspicious of him. They would be busy with different things right now anyway.

Finally, it was Minho’s turn at the registration desk.

“Is this the first time you came for an audition here at JYP or is this a retry?” the lady on the other side asked.

“This is my se-“ Minho quickly shuts himself. Saying that this is his second time came out naturally, because it’s the truth, but he had to keep in mind, that he was now here as a different person.

“Uh” he starts again “This is my first time here.” He says hesitantly, trying not to speak in a deep voice. The woman smiled at him.

“Okay, I need to make a profile for you then. Your full name please?”

Oh , Minho totally forgot about the whole registration procedure and that he had to give all his information again. He didn’t think of any name or story for a person before he came here and he didn’t know what to say either. He could say the address, because it’s an apartment building and there are many families anyway, but with the same name and age he would totally blow his cover.

The woman looked expectantly at him, obviously waiting for his answer, because there are many other people who also need to register as well.

“Uh… Uhm….L-L-Lee…. M-Min….ha?“ He said slightly asking himself but luckily the reception lady just took that and wrote it down.

“And what’s your address and age Lee Minha?” She asked.

“25th October 1997 and I live in Neo Street 127, Seoul.” He says, instantly regretting all his statements. How could he just be that uncreative? Lee Minha? Seriously Minho? He asked himself and face palmed internally.

“Okay, the girl’s changing room is over there and the audition will take place in the room next to this door. Please be there in the latest of 30 minutes, because the audition will start then. Good luck Minha!”

Minho couldn’t believe his ears. Did she just say he could go into the girls changing room? He felt even more nervous now. He didn’t want to go in there, but he slowly walked towards the room. This feels wrong to him. Just then he remembered that he is already fully clothed for dancing so he doesn’t need to stay in there for long. He only needs to put his bag into one of the lockers. Luckily, he knew how the lockers work and where they should be since he’s been in this building already. He inhales deeply and quickly walks into the room, looking on the floor, not wanting to make himself punishable for walking into the girls’ rooms and staring at them.

From the side of his eyes he saw some skin and clothes flying around, but he only focused on his single goal: Walking straight to the lockers. He bumped into a girl and quickly apologized. It was so awkward for him to be in here. But he was happy when he finally arrived at the locker. He took out his water bottle and closed the locker. With the same speed he entered, he left the room and went straight into the audition room where already some people were waiting.

The procedure was the same as in the previous audition. They all sat in a corner and one was called up to sing and dance. With his name Minho knew he would be one of the people in the middle so he had some time to relax, theoretically, if he didn’t constantly think about his appearance and how the others might look through his dressing up. He touched his hair, feeling if the hair tie and wig still sits rightly. He hoped so badly that the wig wouldn’t fall off during dancing. That only happened once, but he didn’t want that to happen again. His heart was constantly beating fast even while watching the others.

“Lee Minha!” One of the evaluators shouted into the crowd and at first Minho looked around to see who would stand up but then looked back at the evaluator to wait for his name to be called.

“Lee Minha, it’s your turn now!” The evaluator calls again and Minho startled jumps up.

“Y-Yes!” Minho called and walked into the front. How could he forget his new name?

“Which songs do you want to present?” one of the staff asked while a camera was positioned towards him.

“For dancing I want to dance to Infinite The Chaser and I want to sing Charlie Puth Attention.” He says as confident as he can. These are the same songs he used in his last audition, so he was the most confident in them.

The staff nodded and the camera lady gave a hands up towards the evaluators.

“Okay, we will play the songs, get in position.”

“Thanks” Minho quickly bowed and go into position in order to dance The Chaser. His heart beat like crazy. He was feeling nauseous. Too many things running in his mind. From his wig to missing the dance steps. He felt his heard beat like crazy but then the music starts and his mind was gone. He danced to the choreography flawlessly and was happy that the wig didn’t fall off.

After the dancing he was already exhausted and was breathing heavily. It was very unusual to dance with this outfit. Even though he practiced dancing with it, he still wasn’t entirely comfortable with it, so he probably didn’t show the dance moves as good as usually and he was out of breath faster. He had a short break in which the evaluators wrote something down on their sheets and talked to each other, but the break wasn’t as long as what he would need to fully recover from the dance routine.

“Okay, next the singing! Get ready!” A woman with a microphone walked up to him and handed it to him.

At least now he didn’t have to worry about his hair anymore and he was so exhausted that he didn’t feel that nervous anymore. He holds the mic close to his mouth and started singing. In about the middle of the song they interrupted him.

“That’s enough, thank you. You can sit down again.”

Startled Minho looked at them and was now afraid to not get in anymore. The only people that got interrupted were those that weren’t doing that great. Defeatedly he walked to the others and sat down. Some of the people next to him complimented him for the great dancing and singing but Minho couldn’t help but give them a fake smile, knowing he didn’t do that well and that they were only trying to cheer him up, because he got interrupted.

For the rest of the audition Minho only stared on the ground. So all this effort and risk he took upon himself was all for nothing? He should have trained more and didn’t just come here after practicing in these stupid clothes a few times. He shouldn’t have tried it to begin with. It was a foolish idea and he just wasted his time.

The evaluators went outside to discuss the final results while the participants waited in the big room. The room was silent. Everyone dreaded the final results. For some this was the last chance. They all spent so much time in here and everyone wants the same thing. Minho already gave up and played with his long hair. He wondered what he should do with all his girl clothes once he left the JYP building. He could throw them away or just give them to some of his classmates. They would probably be happy about that.

After some more minutes the evaluators finally entered the room and requested for everyone to stand up and stand in lines.

“We have the final results. Don’t forget this is not a reflection on your qualifications or background, but an attempt to match the best trainee with our needs. Even if you didn’t make it, we wish you the best of luck for the future and thank you for your expressed interest in JYP Entertainment.”

Minho looked crestfallen on the ground. The applicants got called individually and were requested to go to one room where an evaluator waits for them to tell them the result. When ‘his’ name finally got called, he discouragedly followed the staff into a room. They sat down and the woman gave him feedback on his audition.

“Today we only have 2 positive results for the applicants, so the competition is high.”

Minho pressed his lips into a thin line. He didn’t want to cry in front of the woman. He tried his best to calm down and breath slowly.

“Congratulations, you’re one of them.”

 

 

 

A/N:

Minho's adress was inspired by NCT.... xD

And to be honest I don't know how exactly those auditions take place. I thought of going there next year myself, just to see how it's like to be there xD

I chose The Chaser for Minho's auditon, because I think he once said that he used that for his audition or rather, the choreography of that song inspired him to dance. Even though Minho isn't an big English-speaker I just chose Attention, because  I like the song lol. Actually it doesn't matter which song I chose in the end. It's not like we get to hear/see him performing them anyway.... >_>

Hope you liked it. Comments and critique are always appreciated! :)