Chapter 6

When Moon meets Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun arrived late at the station when she saw Moonbyul and Wheein stood next to each other back facing her and from her view, they were looking at something. Her initial thought was Moonbyul only shared information to Wheein only which annoyed her. Why would she do that when Yongsun was her original partner.

Yongsun cleared to get both of the Detectives’ attention, she succeeds as the two turned their body to her. She folded her arms on her chest while leaning on her desk.

“What are you guys doing?” Yongsun asked in sarcastic tone and Moonbyul noticed but Wheein, as the younger innocently slow jogged toward Yongsun.

Moonbyul just stood still on her place, hands in her pants’ pockets. Seemed Yongsun’s eyes shot laser on her and she had no intention to avoid it. However, if she could be honest, if stare could kill she would probably be dead.

“Unnie, look. Moonbyul unnie just found something on Kim Ha Na’s case” Wheein said in excitement.

“Wait, Moonbyul unnie?” Yongsun raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, I must have forgotten to tell you. Moonbyul unnie said I don’t have to get too formal and just feel comfortable with her. So, yeah”

It left Yongsun stunned. “She asked you to get comfortable with her?”

Wheein nodded her head, Yongsun scoffed and speechless.

It didn’t sound like Detective Moon Byulyi at all, because Moonbyul she knew would always keep anything professional at work, plus she would never be this friendly to anyone. It just confirmed to Yongsun’s suspicion that Moonbyul wanted to use Wheein with Director Ahn Hyejin.

“Unnie..” Wheein called on Yongsun because the older one seemed to kill Moonbyul with her eyes.

“Wheein, can you leave us for a while? I want to talk to your Moonbyul unnie here”

Wheein hesitated at first but complied eventually as she didn’t want to add to already high-tension atmosphere.

As soon as Wheein out of their sight, Yongsun’s expression changed abruptly. She marched to Moonbyul and the Detective stumbled backward as Yongsun was too close to her. Somehow, she felt scared.

“What are you planning to do?” Yongsun asked.

Moonbyul chuckled nervously “What do you mean?”

“You’re not Detective Moon Byulyi I know. What’s with the friendly act? Don’t tell me you want to use Wheein to approach Director Ahn Hyejin” Yongsun pointed her finger on Moonbyul.

Slowly, Moonbyul tried to grab Yongsun’s finger to put it away from her face but the older one retreated it first.

“Look, I know you thought about me that way just the moment Wheein joined us. But I told you I never intended to use Wheein-“

“Detective Jung” Yongsun corrected Moonbyul on how she should call the younger one.

“Yeah, Detective Jung, whatever. But as I said, I’m not using her. In fact, we need her with this case. Director Ahn Hyejin is known for her cold attitude which make her unapproachable, but with Wheein-“ Moonbyul paused as she looked at Yongsun’s unpleased expression. “Sorry, with Detective Jung’s help maybe we can at least talk to her”

“What makes you think Director Ahn wants to talk to Wheein?” Yongsun folded her hands on her chest.

“Well, I found out they were dating back in high school”

“What?! They were dating?”

“You didn’t know?”

Yongsun shook her head, surprised with the new information she just heard. Wheein only told her that the Director and her were friends but not the dating part. Did Wheein purposely leave that part because she wanted to avoid the topic? Yongsun thought.

To think of it, somehow, she understood the situation, well a bit. Not going to lie that she ever thought of asking Wheein with the case ever since she knew Director Ahn Hyejin had to do with the case, but she shrugged the idea off because she didn’t want to trouble Wheein.

“Then what makes you think they’re still talking to each other?” Yongsun firmly asked.

“Well-“ Her word was cut by Moonbyul’s phone ringing.

Moonbyul raised a finger signaling Yongsun to wait as she answered the call.

“Hello Mrs. Yoon. What?!”

The high pitched made Yongsun jumped in surprised.

“Okay, I’ll be there. Thank you” Moonbyul ended the call, grabbed her keys and ready to go but Yongsun stopped her by grabbing her arm.

“What happened?” Yongsun asked.

“I have to go. Grandma fainted”

Grandma? Moonbyul never told her she had a grandma. But judging by Moonbyul’s expression, must be really her grandma.

“I’ll go with you” Yongsun said.

Moonyul wanted to argue but she really needed to go immediately so she just let Yongsun followed.

As soon as they arrived at the neighborhood complex, Moonbyul sprinted to the building and Yongsun caught up behind her.

Few people were standing outside of Grandma’s house. Moonbyul wasted no time as she came in to the house and found Grandma lying down on the bed and she felt a pang on her heart to see her condition.

“Grandma” Moonbyul softly called the eldest.

Grandma opened her eyes and smiled as she saw Moonbyul beside her. “Byulyi-shi”

The eldest tried to get up and Moonbyul helped her. “Are you okay grandma? What happened?”

The grandma chuckled. “I’m fine, Doctor already came and checked on me. He said I’m okay. Just need a rest”

“I told you if you need anything you can just call me and I will buy it for you. Look what happened, luckily Mrs. Yoon went to that alley too or no one would find you”

Grandma chuckled “I’m old already, Byulyi-shi, so it’s not a usual thing for me to faint like this. Plus, I don’t want to trouble you, you have to work too”

Moonbyul shook her head, as if denying the reality. Somehow, she didn’t believe when Grandma said she was okay. If she really was, she wouldn’t faint, right? She looked at her Grandma, no one knew how broken her heart and how worried she was when she got the call. The eldest might not her Grandma by blood but she loved her so much. A single tear fell down her cheek as she thought about losing the Grandma, what would happen to her.

“Why are you crying?” The Grandma asked as she wiped the tear.

Yongsun abruptly looked at Moonbyul as this was first time, she saw her crying.

Moonbyul shook her head, chuckling. “I’m just glad you’re okay”

Grandma rubbed Moonbyul’s arm, she knew how worried Moonbyul was, the comfort was to ensure the Detective that the Grandma was fine.

There was silence as Grandma felt hesitated to talk and Monbyul noticed.

“Grandma, you want to say something?”

“Yeah. Byulyi-shi” Grandma took Moonbyul’s hand to her. “I only have one wish before I close my eyes”

“No, Grandma. Don’t say that, you’re going to be okay. You will stay here with me as long as possible”

“No. My time can come anytime; we just don’t know when”

Moonbyul lowered her head. It wasn’t something she wanted to hear from the Grandma.

“Okay, tell me what your wish. I will do anything” Moonbyul said, the least she could do.

Grandma inhaled. “I want to see you get married”

Moonbyul was speechless, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. When she said she would do anything, this wasn’t what she expected. 

“Grandma, I-“

“Why? Are you not ready to marry? But I’m sure you and Joo Hyun had talked about this right?”

Upon hearing the name, Yongsun looked at Grandma then to Moonbyul. She was as shocked as Moonbyul.

“J-Joo Hyun?”

“I thought you two are together, but looking at your expression, I guess not?” The eldest looked surprised.

“No… we’re not together…”

“Oh, if that is the case, I will not get to see you get married then”

Moonbyul heard the disappointment in the Grandma’s voice, she quickly came with idea even though herself was too stunned.

“Grandma, it’s not like that. It just that… I can’t marry Joo Hyun”

“Why not?”

Yongsun also waited for Moonbyul’s answer, if not Joo Hyun then who? Because she thought the Detective was in love with Joo Hyun. Did she like someone else? Yongsun bit her lower lip as she participated for Moonbyul’s answer.

“I… I have someone else. Plus, Joo Hyun has Seulgi too”

Yongsun lifted her head in instant. Her eyes went wide in shocked, but she tried not to react so much.

“She has someone else? Then what’s with the tension between her and Joo Hyun?” Yongsun was in her own world, coming with her own assumption in her head as she failed to catch Moonbyul’s next words.

“Her?” Grandma pointed at Yongsun as the Detective was still in deep thought.

“Yeah” Moonbyul said.  

About half an hour later, it was time for the two Detectives to go. However, Yongsun was still in questioned, what Moonbyul told Grandma for her to treat Yongsun the way she did.

Yongsun caught on Moonbyul as soon as they left the house.

“Detective Moon! You didn’t tell me you have a grandma” Yongsun asked as she followed Moonbyul.

“She is not my real grandma”

“Then what did you tell her?” Yongsun had to grab Moonbyul’s arm to stop her because she seemed to avoid the older.

“What did I tell her?”

“why would you ask me back? What did you tell her for her to act like that to me? You must have said something, right?”

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about” Moonbyul tried to walk away but Yongsun blocked her way.

“Don’t even think to run”

“I’m not running. I have to get back to the station”

Once again, Moonbyul tried to escape, being a stubborn, Yongsun wouldn’t let her go that easily. She demanded answer and would make sure to get it.

Moonbyul sighed “You won’t let it go right?”

“Nope until you tell me”

“I thought you listened to what I said”

“N-No-“

“You were daydreaming, didn’t you? Then it’s your fault for not listening”

Yongsun lost her patience as Moonbyul tried to walk away from her again. This time Yongsun had to push the younger one until her back came contact with the wall. Moonbyul was stunned.

“You tell me what you said to Grandma or I will rip your throat and give it to dog to eat”

“Ouch. Will you?” Moonbyul stood straight as she asked.

“N-Not really”

She chuckled which made Yongsun smacked her multiple times. She winced in pain, lifting her hands in surrender.

“Do you really want to know?” Moonbyul inched closer to Yongsun, making the older one nervous.

She leaned on Yongsun’s ear and for moment Yongsun felt herself ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter