phase 1

hindsight

**

“What do you think the others are up to?”  Eunbi, who is pushing the grocery cart around, turns her head back to ask.

“They’re probably fighting over the game, or because of it.”  Minju replies, nonchalantly inspecting the packaging of the snack she’s holding.

“Mm, that’s what I’m worried about.”  Eunbi sighs, looking gloomily at the isle of snacks.

Minju walks over to her, “Hey, don’t worry about them, unnie.  Nako and Hitomi are there to keep the peace.  And if they can’t anymore, they promised to immediately fetch our neighbors for help.  They’ll be fine.”  She smiles, running a hand over the leader’s back to reassure her.

“You’re right,” Eunbi smiles back.

Minju smiles more broadly before walking ahead to inspect the snack isle.

“Oh, I really hope you’re right,” Eunbi continues in a hushed tone.

***

“…aaand that’s everything.  We’re ready to head out, unnie.”

Eunbi perks up at the announcement; the statement sounding like music to her ears.

“Good.  Let’s get these to check-out.”

The two heads to one of the cashiers and pays for their items.  They’re about to exit the supermarket when Minju’s phone rings.

“Oh, hold up, unnie,” Minju says, checking the caller ID.  Her frown instantly turns upside down upon reading what’s on the screen.

“Hey, you.  What’s up?  I got you ice cream.”  She tells her caller, smiling constantly as she does so.

Eunbi could only smile as she watched Minju talk on the phone with a certain member of their friend-group.  It’s so heartwarming (and not to mention cute) to see young love blossoming around her – what with the googly eyes, the subtle touches, and the unfading smile –

‘Wait, why is she frowning?’

Eunbi snaps out of her thoughts, about to ask Minju, who has gotten off the phone, what happened, when the younger one beat her to the punch and filled her in.

“Nako’s here, unnie,” she says, pointing towards the automatic door where a young girl just passed through.

***

“Nako?” Eunbi asks the approaching figure.  “Did you walk here all alone?”

“She did.” Minju answers for the said girl, her face pissed stern.

Nako gives a nervous chuckle.  She scratches the back of her neck, “I’m sorry… it’s just that, it’s gotten boring in the house.  I thought I’d help you guys out with the shopping.”

“Oh, that’s sweet of you,” Eunbi smiles, “but we’re done with the shopping.” Eunbi says, lifting the bags slightly.

Nako, silently panicking and feeling very defeated, schools her face, “Yeah, so I see…” she trails off.  She stares at the bags, hoping that an idea will pop up, but all she can think of is her Hyewon unnie’s mission for her – “Stall them, Nako.  You need to stall them by any means necessary.”

How could Hyewon give her this mission?  She’s a bad liar; cannot, for the life of her, do it.  She’s sure to get found out.

But she also doesn’t really have a better option at the moment.  ‘Here goes nothing…’

“But you haven’t shopped for their additional requests.  Unnie.” She starts – ‘oh, they are so onto me.  I’m gonna get disowned.’

“That’s why I’m here, unnie.  The others want some more stuff.”  She announces, flashing the other two members a wide, toothy smile.

***

“More?” Eunbi asks, voice going up a notch.

Nako scratches at her nape again, smile sheepish.

Minju stays silent.

“Ugh, fine.  Let’s make it quick.  The sooner we get them, the sooner we can get home,” Eunbi resigns.

She’s about to walk back when Minju stopped her by the hand.  “You know what, unnie, why don’t Nako and I do this, and you just sit over there at the food court, have a bubble tea or something.  I mean, someone has to mind our shopping bags.”

“Yeah!  Minju and I could totally do it by ourselves.  You just sit there and relax, unnie.”  Nako eagerly seconds.  ‘Keep eye contact, Nako.  Keep eye contact.’

Eunbi considers.  “Well… if you’re sure.”

“We’re sure, unnie!”  Nako exclaims, already pulling Eunbi towards the food court.

They wait for Eunbi to order and settle herself before going back in the grocery store.  “We’ll be back in a jiffy, unnie.”

**

Once they’re out of their leader’s earshot, Minju pulls Nako to the side, “Okay, Nako, spill.  What’s going on at home?”

“Spill?  Home?  What- ha ha- what are you talking about?” Nako asks, failing spectacularly trying to avoid the topic.

Minju narrows her eyes, “You may have fooled Eunbi unnie, but you’re not fooling me.  You and Eunbi unnie are close, but you and I…” Minju trails off, giving Nako a knowing look.

Nako sighs, “Alright.  But you have to promise first that you won’t tell Eunbi unnie.”

Minju, ever so gently, takes one of Nako’s hands in hers and holds it to her heart, “I promise.”

Nako couldn’t help the smile bloom on her face.  But as she remembers her situation, her smile turns awkward, apologetic, and downright guilty, “Oh, and can you also promise not to hate me?” Nako asks, letting out a nervous chuckle.